What's new

Game Thread (Scrimmage) Jazz @ Suns.......or Suns@Jazz BASKETBALL IS BACK!!!!

Added to Calendar: 07-23-20

I want more Brantley so bad. Playmaking from a 4 that can actually defend the 4?

Defending the 4 (and shooting) is what's in question, I think. He wasn't one of the better defenders for the Stars. He's certainly strong enough, but it remains to be seen if he has more than just strength to compensate for being 6-5. But yeah, I hope he gets more rotation time to see how he looks without G-Leaguers around him.

Jazz shot the 3-ball well tonight at nearly 42%.
They got outrebounded by 14 though, which is enough to lose the game. It's indicative of the fact that they're undersized vs. the Suns. The Suns were 3 or 4 inches taller than the Jazz at every position except Ingles at the 3 and Rudy at the 5.

It's tough to rebound and defend when you're giving up 3 - 4 inches at 3 positions on the floor.

Defending the 4 (and shooting) is what's in question, I think. He wasn't one of the better defenders for the Stars. He's certainly strong enough, but it remains to be seen if he has more than just strength to compensate for being 6-5. But yeah, I hope he gets more rotation time to see how he looks without G-Leaguers around him.

He's the same size as Millsap--a half-inch shorter, same length, same weight.

Well overall a bit different vibe with the quiet arena. Didn't look great, but won't overreact to these first ones at all. Rudy is going to have to be a lot better for sure, and I think he will be once games matter. Donovan looked great. Liked Tony Bradley's minutes. Happy basketball is back for sure, was nice to watch it again.

Brantley and Mudiay need more minutes. People keep saying Mike Conley should get more minutes and shots but he's just not good enough to count on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Conley is so small on defense as well. Guys shoot over him so easily

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He is only 6-5? Looks much taller

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Millsap measured 3/4 of an inch taller with shoes at the combine (6'7.25'') than Brantley did at the Portsmouth (6'6.5'').

Millsap measured 3/4 of an inch taller with shoes at the combine (6'7.25'') than Brantley did at the Portsmouth (6'6.5'').
Is there any reason this measurement should be more trustworthy than the 2019-20 official measurements?

Is there any reason this measurement should be more trustworthy than the 2019-20 official measurements?

I believe the Nuggets did measurements in shoes while the Jazz did barefoot (see Bol Bol gaining over an inch from the combine while Mitchell has his barefoot height).

I believe the Nuggets did measurements in shoes while the Jazz did barefoot (see Bol Bol gaining over an inch from the combine while Mitchell has his barefoot height).

I think Brantley is about 6'5.5" without shoes and Millsap could be about 6'6.25" without shoes. Maybe the difference is as much as 3/4 inch. We'll see if they matchup in the bubble. Brantley would list 6'7" in shoes. A quarter inch doesn't mean anything.

That would require you believing the Nuggets deliberately went against clear NBA protocol (which, to be honest, looks conceivable after reviewing all the players' listed heights for the Nuggets).

I will concede that (pre-2020 measurements), if Millsap could have been generously listed as 6-8, Brantley could also probably be generously listed as 6-7. But the point remains that Brantley is undersized for the 4. He may be able to make it work in the NBA (he did in the G-League), but that still remains to be seen. I think it will depend on more than just weight/strength/arm length, but also savvy. Hopefully it can work for him.

That would require you believing the Nuggets deliberately went against clear NBA protocol (which, to be honest, looks conceivable after reviewing all the players' listed heights for the Nuggets).

I will concede that (pre-2020 measurements), if Millsap could have been generously listed as 6-8, Brantley could also probably be generously listed as 6-7. But the point remains that Brantley is undersized for the 4. He may be able to make it work in the NBA (he did in the G-League), but that still remains to be seen. I think it will depend on more than just weight/strength/arm length, but also savvy. Hopefully it can work for him.

Both have long wingspans, with Millsaps an inch longer at 7'2". It can help make up for lack of size.

I'd like to see Mitchell play more aggressively on D (generally, not an observation from a scrimmage).

We do really need Brantley to turn into something, even a poor man's Millsap would help quite a bit. We lack height, length, and athleticism against most teams. This will be glaringly obvious on reopening night against the Pelicans facing Brandon Ingram and Zion Williamson.

I feel like we have talent but I'm not sure how well it adds up.

Our two all stars don't have chemistry, and dont like each other.
Did we overpay Royce? Hes a nice player but I don't think he's good enough for the money/years.
We need more defense, and toughness.
Niang is a nice end of the bench player but not someone who shouldnt be in the rotation of a championship caliber team.
Brantley needs rotation time.
My god Conley is a huge bust.

Meh. We aren't doing anything in bubble ball.

I don't see any possibility of winning the championship in this Jazz team. The flaw in the front line is fatal.
Looking forward to next season.