What's new

Seven Seconds

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
Is it just me or does anyone else also cringe when the Jazz decide to run the shot clock down to 7 seconds before initiating the offense? Yes, I know, the idea is to take as much time off as possible to preserve a lead or leave fewer seconds for the other team to get a shot at the end of quarters. But whether it's Trey or Gordon dribbling the ball, I've not seen many good shots result from the strategy. Last night trying to run clock may have cost us the game. I think Utah would be better off just running their normal offense. It usually takes 20 seconds to get a good shot anyway. So try to get something inside or an open three. Instead, Jazz get long, off-balance 2's by Trey or Gordon.

Not as much as I cringe whenever you start a new thread.

Because I start so many. :rolleyes:
I doubt if I'm even top-25 in number of threads started. Definitely last in terms of alts (never had one). But probably leading the board in number of name changes. Anyways, back to the topic. I've just noticed the Jazz are rarely effective in running clock.

Can't miss an opportunity to troll.

The feelings are mutual. Our ISO p&r game isn't the best. We need kick outs and other options. Alec is really our only driving threat. We just aren't playing to our strengths when we are trying to eat clock.

The feelings are mutual. Our ISO p&r game isn't the best. We need kick outs and other options. Alec is really our only driving threat. We just aren't playing to our strengths when we are trying to eat clock.

I don't know. I've never coached in the NBA. If the players have proper spacing and the proper play is called that is more than enough time to get a good shot.

As much as Quin Snyder wants to move the ball and open up scoring opportunities, the Jazz's offensive options are pretty limited. There are normally only two guys on the floor who can initiate anything (Burke/Exum and Hayward/Ingles). Our bigs are slow, can't really dribble, don't pass well, and can only score in certain situations. We don't have consistent outside shooting. Burke can't get anywhere on the floor without using a screen twice. Defenders have been rewarded for backing off him and letting him shoot. Plus, we don't really have a go-to scorer. Hayward is our only triple-threat player.

The result is that the Jazz are often lucky to run an effective play at all, let alone do it quickly and efficiently.

And you got me on that one.

I don't know. I've never coached in the NBA. If the players have proper spacing and the proper play is called that is more than enough time to get a good shot.

Should be enough for most teams, but we just don't have players who can create their own shots. It's so predictable when the Jazz run clock: Trey or Gordon are going right and shooting a pull-up jumper.

The result is that the Jazz are often lucky to run an effective play at all

You make some fair points, but your conclusion is hyperbolic. Jazz offense is average, not poor. 15th in the league in offensive efficiency, just for example.

I feel like most teams do this to close out close games because it minimizes risk. If you just run offense, hoping to get Hayward (or whoever has the hot hand) a shot, things might breakdown since defense are usually more aggressive. You run the risk of turning the ball over or not getting a good shot. By putting the ball in the hot player's hands you at least guarantee a shot in most cases.

To me, while it makes sense, it's sort of like the prevent defense. Teams in these situations aren't playing the game naturally, as they've been taught. They overthink, get too safe, and it typically results in bad **** happening.

Think aggressively and play aggressively without being reckless or careless. If nothing's there, nothing's there. Don't rush a shot or make an errant pass. Take what's there when it's there.

Last edited:
I feel like most teams do this to close out close games because it minimizes risk. If you just run offense, hoping to get Hayward (or whoever has the hot hand) a shot, things might breakdown since defense are usually more aggressive. You run the risk of turning the ball over or not getting a good shot. By putting the ball in the hot player's hands you at least guarantee a shot in most cases.
Solid

To me, while it makes sense, it's sort of like the prevent defense. Teams in these situations aren't playing the game naturally, as they've been taught. They overthink, get too safe, and it typically results in bad **** happening.

Think aggressively and play aggressively without being reckless or careless. I nothing's there, nothing's there. Don't rush a shot or make an errant pass. Take what's there when it's there.
This is a pretty solid other side of the coin

I like going to your best player (superstar) and letting him go to work at the end of games..... but only if you have a true star player. The Jazz don't.

So in the jazz case I say run the offense and get the best shot possible while staying aggressive with the clock

I like going to your best player (superstar) and letting him go to work at the end of games..... but only if you have a true star player. The Jazz don't.

So in the jazz case I say run the offense and get the best shot possible while staying aggressive with the clock

This seems to go along more with my line of thinking though I will concede there are obvious times a team should just simply run it down to one second and chuck up a shot. Like I was saying though, this agrees more with my philosophy which to me, also teaches a team to play in such pressure situations. And yes, there is pressure though you're winning. But just kicking the ball around for 23 seconds and then chucking it up teaches next to nothing which will hurt once those tight pressure situations do arise. IMO of course.

But just kicking the ball around for 23 seconds and then chucking it up teaches next to nothing which will hurt once those tight pressure situations do arise.

Could it be that Mr. Snyder is using the trail by fire method as opposed to the bring them along slowly method?

Could it be that Mr. Snyder is using the trail by fire method as opposed to the bring them along slowly method?

The trial by fire method is my line of thinking. It teaches. The run the shot clock out which the OP criticized Quin of promoting does not.

Think aggressively and play aggressively without being reckless or careless. If nothing's there, nothing's there. Don't rush a shot or make an errant pass. Take what's there when it's there.
That's my thinking. Run your normal offense and try to get the ball inside. If you score on an easy dunk, what's the harm? Now I can see playing for a final shot with the game tied, but a team up by 1 or 2 shouldn't fear an easy bucket if it comes with 5, 10 or 15 seconds left on the shot clock. And if the easy 2 isn't available, then back it out and start over. Shot opportunities are created with player and ball movement, getting opponents out of position and switching on multiple screens.

Instead, the Jazz waste all that time, put up a bad shot and a basket on the other end ties the game or cuts into the lead.