What's new

Should I move to Seattle?

Move to Seattle if you like moss growing on everything that holds still for longer than 5 minutes, and enjoy not seeing the sun for months at a time, and don't mind walking around in a light misty rain all the time, even when the sun is shining. Almost as bad as Portland but not quite.

By far the nicest major city in the US. Incredibly beautiful place and the summers are magnificent. All these rain comments are way overblown. It is overcast frequently but the summer weather is fabulous. With regard to the precipitation, it mists but does not rain nearly as much as other places in the US. Many US cities get more annual precipitation than Seattle. Places like Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Cleveland, Montgomery, Shreveport, etc... Seattle is an absolutely beautiful place. Cost of living is not bad. Housing is still doable. This isn't like the San Francisco area where a starter home in a decent city on the Peninsula goes for a $1,000,000.

Thanks for all the replies. We love visiting there, but we love Utah as well (just got home from Oregon today). Why are big boy decisions so hard?

Thanks for all the replies. We love visiting there, but we love Utah as well (just got home from Oregon today). Why are big boy decisions so hard?

They become easier after you make one.

Fwiw, my greatest joy aside from my family has been sharing new experiences, together, as a family.

If your kids are young I would say go for it. Every person I've ever met that moved as a teen never really got over it. I have a cousin who moved to Seattle she's mormon, has young kids and loves it there. I think the similar values thing is a little silly, of course there are moral sober people in Seattle. As far as finding friends I think it will wholly depend on the personalities of your children. I was never really good at making friends as a kid because I'm a very introverted person my daughter, on the other hand, is so outgoing she makes friends wherever she goes.

MAGIC MOUNTAIN! Santa Clarita really seems to be booming lately in population. Aren't there a ton of Mormons up there too due to cheaper housing, etc.? That's what I've heard. I live almost exactly 35 miles SE of you.

No such thing as cheaper housing unless you head further north to Palmdale or Lancaster...and you only do that if you have a CWP.

So are you talking Glendale or further south into the downtown LA area, Mr. McGibblets?

Magic Mountain is like South Central with roller coasters and hills. Just beautiful. I'm pretty sure you get initiated into a gang and a STD just by being there.

Thanks for the laughs. Yes, life can be preferable when you are with people who have similar interests to you, but the point was that you said you were LDS and concerned that by moving from Utah because you were going to no longer be around people of similar values. One's religion does not dictate the individual's values in any way. That is about one's personal character inside them and not about what they are told at church. Many of the better people I know are Mormon, but many of the worst people I know are as well. I think no more or less of anyone based on their religion, race, educational level, job, what message board they post on or any other means of segregating society. There are great people of all backgrounds all over. If you go into a situation assuming people have lower values, you will probably miss out on a lot of great relationships.

I've lived in the Seattle for the past 3 years, and overall it's a great place.

A few things to note:
It's very gloomy at times. During the rainy season (6 months of the year), you can go weeks without seeing the sun. Srsly.
A lot of rainy days, but rarely does it rain hard. Many other cities get more annual rain, but those storms come, dump down rain and leave. In Seattle, the low clouds just stay.
There are enough LDS people that if you want to be involved, it's easy. I moved here with my wife and our 1-year old kid and almost immediately my wife had a nice circle of LDS friends with kids of similiar ages... and my wife isn't even LDS!
Traffic sucks.
Summers are awesome
Home are expensive. If you want to live in the city, $500k will get you a starter home in a nice area. Otherwise, move 15-20 miles North/South or East and homes become affordable.

Yay or nay? The wife and I love it up in the NW, we could make more money in our profession up there. Have you guys lived there? What did you like/dislike? Our biggest concern is we have three little ones. Other concern is we are LDS. I grew up out of state and it was tough at times. I was always jealous of Utah kids growing up around so many people with simar values. I'm worried to pull them out of the state.

What say ye, jazzfanz people of knowledge and good repoir?

I grew up in Pacific NW. It is a beautiful, interesting place to live. But, I'd never, ever move back. I hate the constant grey and drizzle/rain. If you can live without seeing the sun for days on end and put up with the constant rain/drizzle, then go for it.

Seattle is more expensive than SLC, so even with pay raise, your standard of living may decline. Make sure you understand what the tradeoff is and are willing to accept it.

There are plenty of LDS in Seattle area. My guess is that in any middle class K-12, there will easily be dozens of LDS kids attending. They will not lack for an LDS oriented social life if that's what you are worried about. For my siblings who still live in Pacific NW, their children's social life almost entirely revolved around the LDS kids in their wards and schools. Ironically, my children who were raised here in SLC never got involved in LDS social scene and many of their friends were non-LDS.

Sooner or later your children are going to have to deal with living in a non-LDS world. Trying to shelter children from exposure to values, ideas, lifestyles, etc. that are different from their own (or better said from their parents) is, in my opinion, a poor reason to pass up a really good career opportunity.

By far the nicest major city in the US. Incredibly beautiful place and the summers are magnificent. All these rain comments are way overblown. It is overcast frequently but the summer weather is fabulous. With regard to the precipitation, it mists but does not rain nearly as much as other places in the US. Many US cities get more annual precipitation than Seattle. Places like Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Cleveland, Montgomery, Shreveport, etc... Seattle is an absolutely beautiful place. Cost of living is not bad. Housing is still doable. This isn't like the San Francisco area where a starter home in a decent city on the Peninsula goes for a $1,000,000.

It's not the rain, per se, that is as much the issue, at least in my opinion, it is the constant grey and almost as constant wet (drizzle or rain). Don't get me wrong, Seattle is a wonderful city, but personally, I like sunshine and Seattle just doesn't have enough of it. I grew up in Portland, not Seattle, but it's more or less the same. It would require an absolutely knock my socks off professional opportunity, along with commensurate pay, to lure me back to the Pacific NW. I hate the weather there that much.

Well people, it looks like I'm going to take the plunge and do it. But, we aren't moving to Seattle. We decided to head out to Portland. We have the two practices up for sale and I've begun looking for a job out in the great, wet northwest.

We will see how it all goes. It's is crazy exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

Well people, it looks like I'm going to take the plunge and do it. But, we aren't moving to Seattle. We decided to head out to Portland. We have the two practices up for sale and I've begun looking for a job out in the great, wet northwest.

We will see how it all goes. It's is crazy exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

Portland is Seattle's inbred cousin. Just sayin'. So good luck, and enjoy the adventure! You reach a point where these moves are no longer adventures so get everything out of it you can. Congrats!

Good luck!

Portland is Seattle's inbred cousin. Just sayin'. So good luck, and enjoy the adventure! You reach a point where these moves are no longer adventures so get everything out of it you can. Congrats!

LOL. Or the smelly, unemployed younger brother. We love the Oregon coast and Vancouver gives us the benefits of WA while keeping us close to our beach.

Plus, lots of biking in Portland.

Anyhow, very excited half the day and terrified the other half the day. At least my salary will go up!

Step one done. Listed one of the practices for sale today. Anyone want to buy a dental practice, let me know.

*if this falls under advertising, let me know and I'll delete the post.

Step one done. Listed one of the practices for sale today. Anyone want to buy a dental practice, let me know.

*if this falls under advertising, let me know and I'll delete the post.

How much does a Dentist office go for?

Are there ever times when a investor buys a dental practice and just hires and pays the dentist a salary?

How much does a Dentist office go for?

Are there ever times when a investor buys a dental practice and just hires and pays the dentist a salary?

In Utah, all the time. Some states require you to be a dentist, but not in Utah.