What's new

Should The Jazz Target Zach Lavine?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Is Lavine someone like Devin Booker who could have a respect level surge if he got on a serious team with a good coach? The Bulls were really good in the 21-22 season, going 46-26, but Ball got injured towards the end of the season (the glue that made that team very good) and Lavine faltered in the first round series against the Bucks.

Seems like the best option currently available if you want a "star" scorer who is still in his prime and on a reasonable contract (recently signed an extension so he won't be up for one of these new insane contracts for another 3 years).

Since he still has 3 years left on his deal (and a 4th year w/ a player option), he will probably take a decent amount to lure out of Chicago, especially considering Chicago hasnt yet waived the white flag. If the Bulls get off to some horrendous start though, maybe you can swoop it and buy at the right time and get him for something that amount to half the Donovan trade (so like 2 picks, matching salary, and 1 of our promising young players).

My admittedly limited impression of Lavine is that he is a fairly efficient scorer that can get you 20+ pts a night, but isn't a guy that you want with the ball in his hands at the end of a game. I'm not sure he brings a lot of value in any other aspect of the game.

We have other guys that are fairly efficient scorers on the team. Maybe not quite as good as Lavine, but I'm not sure he is enough of an upgrade to give up a lot of assets for.

I've always been a big Lavine fan and would have said hell yeah a few years ago. I'm a little hesitant right now because I think the bulls price tag would be pretty high.

Between the flaws in his game, knee injury stuff, and his huge contract... its a pass for me. If the cost was like John Collins and Sexton or something like that... I'd consider it. It has to be a situation where they are selling low.

I wish I knew what they were doing with DeRozan... I might be more interested in him... even though he's old. If the price was right I'd play DD as a pg like creator and roll.

Between the flaws in his game, knee injury stuff, and his huge contract... its a pass for me. If the cost was like John Collins and Sexton or something like that... I'd consider it. It has to be a situation where they are selling low.

I wish I knew what they were doing with DeRozan... I might be more interested in him... even though he's old. If the price was right I'd play DD as a pg like creator and roll.
The contract isnt huge though. In his last year it will look like a complete bargain.

The knee stuff should be a concern, but he has been relatively healthy and he shows up for games.

I also get the "is he enough of an upgrade over cheaper options". But he is a reasonably efficient (elite 3pt shooting for a volume scorer) 25-4-4 with potential for more. The Jazz currently dont have that at the guard position and the only player who could get there is Keyonte, and that could take 4+ years.

And there's at least some possibility of hidden gains left in Lavine by just getting him on a A class organization after being on a joke team like the Bulls.

Chicago has put their stock on Lavine for years and years (over Lauri as well) and look where it got them.

I dont blame Lavine for the egghead (Boylen) era or the Lonzo injury, but that team should have been better than it was last year even without Lonzo.

I think the problem is Lavine doesnt really seem to mesh well with anyone he has ever played with. He just sort of does his own thing... and he is a defensive liability.

The knee stuff should be a concern, but he has been relatively healthy and he shows up for games.

I also get the "is he enough of an upgrade over cheaper options". But he is a reasonably efficient (elite 3pt shooting for a volume scorer) 25-4-4 with potential for more. The Jazz currently dont have that at the guard position and the only player who could get there is Keyonte, and that could take 4+ years.

And there's at least some possibility of hidden gains left in Lavine by just getting him on a A class organization after being on a joke team like the Bulls.
Also get some really impressive and entertaining dunks. Best dunk contest dunker I ever saw. So easy for him.

I think Tyler Herro could put up similar #s on a much cheaper trade.

Actually just ran a side-by-side comparison and Herro is younger and on a better contract. Could be had for cheaper and has a little bit better defensive numbers.

How does Herro offensive numbers compare to lavine?

Nevermind. I used your link provided to check for myself. Much much closer than I expected. Lavine beats him but not by much.

I think Tyler Herro could put up similar #s on a much cheaper trade.

Actually just ran a side-by-side comparison and Herro is younger and on a better contract. Could be had for cheaper and has a little bit better defensive numbers.

Possibly, but Herro has been in an optimal situation and is a less dynamic offensive player and a worse defender

My admittedly limited impression of Lavine is that he is a fairly efficient scorer that can get you 20+ pts a night, but isn't a guy that you want with the ball in his hands at the end of a game. I'm not sure he brings a lot of value in any other aspect of the game.

We have other guys that are fairly efficient scorers on the team. Maybe not quite as good as Lavine, but I'm not sure he is enough of an upgrade to give up a lot of assets for.
Sums it up nicely.

The contract isnt huge though. In his last year it will look like a complete bargain.
Well his last year is a player option... so if its a bargain he will opt out and get paid even more. Its a big contract for a guy with a knee injury history who is a borderline all-star.

Its kind of death by a thousand cuts with Lavine. On top of the other stuff I just don't think he's a smart basketball player.

If he was super cheap I'd be in... If we were one piece away I'd consider it... otherwise I'm not sure he's the guy to push in on .

I just think the budget versions of Zach are better than paying full price in cap and trade costs. Not the same type of players but JC at his price and trade cost (free) is preferable. Now if Chicago wants to sell low then the equation changes.

I'd guess if we engaged right now it would be like John Collins, Sexton or JC, and 2-3 firsts... at least that's what I think they'd ask for. I also think Chicago has no idea what they are doing so likely not a good trade partner.