What's new

Should the NBA allow larger rosters and treat the D-league as a true farm system?

gregbroncs

With the extra money, and the idea that the D-league keeps players here to become better players should the NBA let teams carry 20 players under NBA contracts with the ability to send players back and forth to the D-league at will? That would be 12 players on the active NBA roster and 8 players on the active D-league roster. Leaving room for guys to develop and letting teams have control of them. Sort of like a beginning version of what MLB has.
If this was the case now the Jazz could potentially keep all of the players they are interested in and send some of them to compete in the D-League under their own coaches while giving them an NBA salary. With the big influx of money coming soon it seems like the right time to look into this.
Just a thought I've been having, wanted some input.

I like the idea.
The superstars of the league won't like it though because they won't want to share the money.

Yes...and no. First, each team has to be required to have a non-shared affiliate, so the Nba isn't there yet. Second, I like the current system that lets a team pick up any player who isn't on a current NBA roster. Guys like Cotton, Johnson, Millsap, Cooley, etc. shouldn't have to be stuck in the farm system of a very deep team if they can make a roster at some point. Perhaps limited contracts that expire after 2-3 years after the players draft class. At that point, anyone can sign him to an NBA contract or a team can sign him to their DLeague affiliate, but he's unprotected and can be called up by any team.

I think this could be doable by instituting a 2 year wait from high school, or in other words no players under 20 on NBA rosters. But, you can draft them under 20 and put them in the D league. Draft that high schooler and put them, into the farm system, or the high schooler can opt for college and draft direct to the NBA after their sophomore year. I think this would strengthen the NBA talent pool, make use of some of that extra money without being too much of a hit, and give us a better product overall.

I like the idea. The other advantage is it changes the draft. You can switch to a more MLB style draft where you can enter out of high school, or go to college with a three year commitment to college. Then a player can decide I was drafted in the fifth round, do I go to college and try to improve my stock, maybe get a degree, or do I go to the D League and make $30,000 a year? The NBA can protect itself by putting younger players in the DLeague or college, the fans get a better product, D Leaguers get better training.

I think this could be doable by instituting a 2 year wait from high school, or in other words no players under 20 on NBA rosters. But, you can draft them under 20 and put them in the D league. Draft that high schooler and put them, into the farm system, or the high schooler can opt for college and draft direct to the NBA after their sophomore year. I think this would strengthen the NBA talent pool, make use of some of that extra money without being too much of a hit, and give us a better product overall.

I like the idea to try and solve this problem.

I can't stand that NBA teams pretty much have to stick a 19 year old kid out there who sucks, just because of the way the current system is.

I'd be all for requiring players have to be 22 to play in the league. But that won't happen.

Something has to give though. These kids water down the talent of the league. It's dumb. What's a team going to do, not draft that new phenom, and if they do, not develop them?

This has to be fixed. And if a minor league system fixes it, then all for it.

I think it's pretty clear that some sort of Farm system will be implemented soon. I think the next CBA will cover it.

I would really like to see the D league be utilized more. I think a lot of rookies come into the league feeling rushed and aren't given an opportunity to fully work on certain skills, IE big men working on a solid post game is a quick example I can think of. Some guys are so raw and are so incredibly overwhelmed by the talent in the NBA that they are considered busts, instead of given a better chance to develop their game.

Now the very top players would still transition to the NBA level pretty easily, but the other guys would be given a better chance for long term success.

One reason I think Rodney Hood has looked as good as he has is due to him staying in college for as long as he did. He's a high IQ player and I think a lot of what he does good he perfected while in college.

Yes...and no. First, each team has to be required to have a non-shared affiliate, so the Nba isn't there yet. Second, I like the current system that lets a team pick up any player who isn't on a current NBA roster. Guys like Cotton, Johnson, Millsap, Cooley, etc. shouldn't have to be stuck in the farm system of a very deep team if they can make a roster at some point. Perhaps limited contracts that expire after 2-3 years after the players draft class. At that point, anyone can sign him to an NBA contract or a team can sign him to their DLeague affiliate, but he's unprotected and can be called up by any team.
So maybe a mix of sorts? Say 16-18 man rosters, 4-6 players in the D-league on each team protected and the rest of the D-league rosters work like they do now. That way teams have some control over guys in the D-league but you still have a shot for other guys to prove their worth and make a roster.
As for the contract they would be regular NBA contracts. So at some point they expire, then that player can try and land a contract with a different team or sign a D-league contract allowing him to move up to any team.
The other point is right each team would need their own affiliate.

I don't think it will happen, but I would like to see a different tier for d-leaugue players. Say the last 5 spots on the roster are d-leaugue. Those contracts should be below the league min, say 100-200k range. Thats way more than AAA baseball or d-leauge level, but not a huge investment by the league.

If the player gets called up, it stays the same. 10 day contract pays x, signed for the season gets the minimum ~500k (prorated)

The best d-leauguers may opt to remain free agents if they are pretty confident they get the call, others will take the 6 figure security knowing that an injury may be their only chance at the NBA.

So maybe a mix of sorts? Say 16-18 man rosters, 4-6 players in the D-league on each team protected and the rest of the D-league rosters work like they do now. That way teams have some control over guys in the D-league but you still have a shot for other guys to prove their worth and make a roster.
As for the contract they would be regular NBA contracts. So at some point they expire, then that player can try and land a contract with a different team or sign a D-league contract allowing him to move up to any team.
The other point is right each team would need their own affiliate.
Exactly what I'm getting at. I agree with those who say 19 year olds water down the quality of NBA basketball. I remember the old rule of thumb, back in the days when players went to school for 4 years, that it took 5 years for a big to develop. Granted, the technology and tools are a lot more sophisticated nowadays, like sending players to P3. Not sure an age restriction would work. TBH, I still wonder why someone hasn't successfully challenged the 1-year college rule. IMO, if you can take up a trade when you graduate from HS, you should be able to "apply" for a job in the NBA.

Let teams sign players to 3-year contracts. Then they become UFA's if they haven't been signed to the team's NBA roster. There would have to be some kind of "Wesley Matthews" rule so a player after 2-3 years in the DLeague couldn't sign for more than the top player of his draft class, though.