What's new

Should the nba go to 3 round draft?

Chargers Jazz Angels

Watching the summer league and all the talent there I was wondering if the NBA should go to 3 rounds.

This would make sense also because of the gleague. If you like a player draft them to play in the league.

Some of the better undrafted free agents seem to go the bigger markets.

Might make trades a little crazy adding in 3rd round picks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JazzFanz mobile app

They used to be what, 7 rounds or something? Why not?

NBA Draft Should Have 3 Rounds (Idea #3 – NBA)

The NBA Draft is exciting: the potential, the trades and even the suits. In a sport where one player can have so much impact, the NBA Draft means that much more.
In 1989, the NBA voted to reduce the draft from ten rounds to two. The main reason was to allow undrafted players to “try out for any team.” For decades, this system made sense, but it’s time for a change. My sports idea is that the NBA draft should add another round. Here are the main reasons why:
- More Than 90 Quality Players
- Larger Market Advantage
- GLeague Development
- Draft Compensation

There are 60 players drafted each year in the NBA Draft. With the global expansion of basketball and the reach of social media, there are more than 90 players worthy of being drafted every year. Eventually, high school players will once again be able to go straight from high school to the NBA. There are more
worthy players than draft picks to select them.

Larger NBA markets have always had an advantage over the smaller markets when attracting free agents. When the draft is over, larger market teams also have an advantage in persuading undrafted players to sign their offer over that of a small market franchise. By expanding the draft, smaller markets have a chance
to draft players instead of larger markets getting them for free.

There are 30 NBA teams and 26 GLeague teams affiliated with NBA franchises. Expanding the draft would allow NBA teams the chance to develop their GLeague affiliates. The popularity and value of the GLeague would go up significantly if more “parent club” drafted players were taking part in the league.

Many NBA stars used to stay with the franchise that drafted them. That has changed. Player movement is at an all time high. In other professional leagues, teams are given compensatory picks when they lose a good player in free agency. In a 3 round draft format, the 2nd round would act as the compensatory round. We will cover how all that would work in a future idea.

NBA Draft Should Have 3 Rounds (Idea #3 – NBA)

The NBA Draft is exciting: the potential, the trades and even the suits. In a sport where one player can have so much impact, the NBA Draft means that much more.
In 1989, the NBA voted to reduce the draft from ten rounds to two. The main reason was to allow undrafted players to “try out for any team.” For decades, this system made sense, but it’s time for a change. My sports idea is that the NBA draft should add another round. Here are the main reasons why:
- More Than 90 Quality Players
- Larger Market Advantage
- GLeague Development
- Draft Compensation

There are 60 players drafted each year in the NBA Draft. With the global expansion of basketball and the reach of social media, there are more than 90 players worthy of being drafted every year. Eventually, high school players will once again be able to go straight from high school to the NBA. There are more
worthy players than draft picks to select them.

Larger NBA markets have always had an advantage over the smaller markets when attracting free agents. When the draft is over, larger market teams also have an advantage in persuading undrafted players to sign their offer over that of a small market franchise. By expanding the draft, smaller markets have a chance
to draft players instead of larger markets getting them for free.

There are 30 NBA teams and 26 GLeague teams affiliated with NBA franchises. Expanding the draft would allow NBA teams the chance to develop their GLeague affiliates. The popularity and value of the GLeague would go up significantly if more “parent club” drafted players were taking part in the league.

Many NBA stars used to stay with the franchise that drafted them. That has changed. Player movement is at an all time high. In other professional leagues, teams are given compensatory picks when they lose a good player in free agency. In a 3 round draft format, the 2nd round would act as the compensatory round. We will cover how all that would work in a future idea.
After reading that 4 rounds should be the min.

Think about NBA teams drafting and stashing more players overseas players.

Damnit why doesn't every NBA team not have a g-league team?

Also, it is time to go to 32 teams.
- Seattle
- Las Vegas or Kansas City
- Send Memphis to the east

What do you guys think about prospects telling teams not to draft them if they don't get drafted in the 1st rd? They'd pick where they would like try out at that is their choosing?

As far as the compensatory round that's been mentioned, the early 2nd round sounds too high. Maybe it should start after the lottery teams, so around pick 45.

I'm not super familiar with compensatory picks, however, so I'm not sure if that works. Can you trade a compensatory pick? What are the requirements for getting one? e.g. how good of a free agent do they need to be, and does the team have to make them an offer?

Interesting idea. If every team had a g- league affiliated with them it could work. I like the idea of having a modified farm system feeding into the league. I think it would allow more equality to the smaller markets to bring in additional talent instead of losing out to the larger market teams.
I don’t see it ever happening but I’d be happy if it did

If there was a 3rd round , At least we’d never ever have worry about DL giving them away for nothing ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they definitely should with the larger rosters we have now. Plus every player drafted should get some sort of compensation even if they don't make the roster based on their draft position.

As far as the compensatory round that's been mentioned, the early 2nd round sounds too high. Maybe it should start after the lottery teams, so around pick 45.

I'm not super familiar with compensatory picks, however, so I'm not sure if that works. Can you trade a compensatory pick? What are the requirements for getting one? e.g. how good of a free agent do they need to be, and does the team have to make them an offer?
For me personally, the 2nd round could be the place where they even the playing field for small market teams.

They could....

- give a compensatory pick if you sign a player who was bought out for more than $5 million (ex. - Nets would have given their 2nd to Detroit since they added Blake Griffin)

- give a compensatory pick if you sign a player away who started a certain amount of games for his prior team

- maybe luxury tax teams just don't get a 2nd rounder that next draft.

For me personally, the 2nd round could be the place where they even the playing field for small market teams.

They could....

- give a compensatory pick if you sign a player who was bought out for more than $5 million (ex. - Nets would have given their 2nd to Detroit since they added Blake Griffin)

- give a compensatory pick if you sign a player away who started a certain amount of games for his prior team

- maybe luxury tax teams just don't get a 2nd rounder that next draft.
I think the player's association would oppose this because it would ultimately hurt the players and prevent player movement.

Compensatory pick is an interesting idea. There would be some things that would need to be ironed out.

The NBA needs a true farm system.

Make every NBA team spend like 3 to 5 million on their farm team. That way top players down there can make decent money. You can develop players. Would keep some players from going to Europe and stay here where the NBA team can be in charge of their development.

All this would lead to is more foreign players having their rights owned, making it harder for them to get into the nba
The undrafted guys that like to control where they go would also be hurt because they generally try and find opportunities where they will find playing time or have an okay shot at making a roster.

when teams take picks 50-60 seriously maybe we could have this convo but I see no big reason to add a round.