What's new

Should we go big? Adjustments for game 2

Going big just makes us slower. Instead of scoring in 4 seconds they will score in 2 seconds.

The thing is though, the game was played to our pace for the most part. It was 91 pace. On the season GSW played at 102 pace and the Jazz played at 93. When they werent getting out in transition the Jazz were doing a good job of holding them later in the shot clock than they normally like to play.

Go Big? What exactly do you call Joe Johnson and Diaw?? Combined they gotta weigh 550lbs.. The widebodies absolutely killed em, there's no margin for turnovers with them on the floor.. If you look at game one thru that lens you'd have to conclude that the **** hit the fan very early on.. the Warriors exploited it masterfully in the 1st half....

The warriors straight ran them off the court on so many possessions, it's good tactics from GSW, they're leaking early, and why wouldn't they? Jazz crumbled under the pressure early..

** It's worth noting that Favors wasn't a part of the wide-body oversaturation but his injuries have mired him into that group.

The Jazz are woefully unequipped to deal with this, unless they play mistake free, thats the only option. Harrison Barnes would've been very helpful, deny that and you show your hand that you think Basketball is all about offense.

Go Big? What exactly do you call Joe Johnson and Diaw?? Combined they gotta weigh 550lbs.. The widebodies absolutely killed em, there's no margin for turnovers with them on the floor.. If you look at game one thru that lens you'd have to conclude that the **** hit the fan very early on.. the Warriors exploited it masterfully in the 1st half....

The warriors straight ran them off the court on so many possessions, it's good tactics from GSW, they're leaking early, and why wouldn't they? Jazz crumbled under the pressure early..

** It's worth noting that Favors wasn't a part of the wide-body oversaturation but his injuries have mired him into that group.

The Jazz are woefully unequipped to deal with this, unless they play mistake free, thats the only option. Harrison Barnes would've been very helpful, deny that and you show your hand that you think Basketball is all about offense.

What about Aminu, HOLMES??

How about Quinn junking the book and playing 48 minutes of hell. Use the whole bench. Then demand that everyone play like there's no tomorrow. Use the hockey model.

Quin needs to watch the last three games of the NBA finals last year. Granted, we don't have Lebron and Irving GS has since added Durant, but there are lessons to be learned. We need to be more aggressive to even have a chance. We need to win the battle of the board paint and there is no reason we can't.

Great post as always, Thriller. My only concern with going "big" is that the Jazz don't really have a player that can create their own shot on the block ala boozer/millsap (and memo to an extent). Gobert is a nice pick and dive player, but he's not killing anybody with his back to the basket... Idk. Might as well try something unique at this point because we're not going to win trying to play small ball.

It doesnt really matter who they get, they will have to play near flawless basketball to ever beat the GSW. They could pick up another top 20 player and they would still be behind talent wise. Maybe if the Jazz can somehow luck out and they can get CP3 to sign with them, but that is the only realistic way I see us really scaring the Warriors.

Sadly, I really don't disagree. We definitely need Hood to trend up to be a more consistent shooter, namely from three point at around 41-43% a clip and also become a better defender. More importantly, we need Exum to really develop this off-season, much like Gobert did this past year. He needs to become a legit rotation player/starter. I'm not saying stud next year but someone who can play high-level defense like we thought, score about 10-12 a game and hit the three at more like a 35% clip with better consistent penetrating. And then we need to see him take a similar leap the year after. If these two guys improve AND Favors gets 100% healthy, AND we see incremental growth from Hayward and Gobert, AND we grow collectively on defense and become a truly elite all-time defense (think 2004 Pistons), we may have a shot. Especially as the Dubs age and maybe break apart as contracts get insanely hefty.

That's asking for a ton though.

I think it's fair to say we are not going to beat them in a seven game series. We just aren't. Knowing that, I don't think it can hurt to try to start Faves (if he feels okay) or at least sub him in a little earlier alongside Rudy to see how that works. Likewise, we should experiment in other ways as well to see what works, what doesn't work. Maybe not yet. Maybe save all this for the 2nd half of game 2 if it's ugly. But it really can't hurt and I think is a good experiment of sorts to perform for us to look back to for next year and the year after.

That said, and somebody said this earlier in this thread, GS just looked much, much quicker to me. Up and down the court. Penetrating. With their passes. With their ability to catch and shoot from three. It's scary really. Almost unfair. For us, this needs to be addressed this off-season in many ways. We just aren't athletic enough. We need a really athletic 2/3 who can defend and hopefully create a little and shoot the 3. That's not Burks, sorry, and I don't think Hood isn't athletic enough. We could also maybe use someone like OG Anunoby who is both athletic and strong as hell and has some offensive ability and the potential to perhaps offset Draymond, Kawhi, and their ilk in the years to come. Or maybe the kid from SMU but he's really only a 3/(maybe 4) strong, athletic combo. All this is for another day once the series is over though.

It doesnt really matter who they get, they will have to play near flawless basketball to ever beat the GSW. They could pick up another top 20 player and they would still be behind talent wise. Maybe if the Jazz can somehow luck out and they can get CP3 to sign with them, but that is the only realistic way I see us really scaring the Warriors.

Yeah, dudes. We are playing the Warriors who are a buzzsaw of a team. They roll through everyone.

Great post as always, Thriller. My only concern with going "big" is that the Jazz don't really have a player that can create their own shot on the block ala boozer/millsap (and memo to an extent). Gobert is a nice pick and dive player, but he's not killing anybody with his back to the basket... Idk. Might as well try something unique at this point because we're not going to win trying to play small ball.

Honestly since Favs isn't healthy I think you have to consider playing Bolomboy next to Rudy. Have Hill, Ingles, and Hayward get back while Rudy and Bolomboy crash the boards. For this to be successful the Jazz have to take more 15 footers to reduce long rebounds. The Jazz can't make shots more efficiently than the Warriors but they can take more of them.

Quin was out coached

We can't beat the warriors playing warrior ball
Ourr backups outplayed our overrated starting five except for Rudy

Unless we play Exum at backup pg we are done size effects the warriors and we put in Mack

Hayward is mentally weak he will be next year on Boston and out team will be fine

Sent from my SM-N920P using JazzFanz mobile app

Sent from my SM-N920P using JazzFanz mobile app

PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS. DOMINATE ON THE DEFENSIVE GLASS, STOP TRANSITION AT ALL COSTS, MAKE THEM DEFEND IN THE HALFCOURT FOR 24 SECONDS. MAKE IT ****ING UGLY, WEAR THEM OUT, HARD FOULS AT THE RIM, MOVE THE BIG UP ON A PICK BUT DONT SWITCH AND HAVE PLAYERS READY TO TAKE OR MAKE CONTACT IF THEY DRIVE AND JUST BE PERFECT ON ROTATIONS. MAKE THE GAME NOT FUN FOR THEM.

We just have to execute better. If we aren't running the offense, if we're turning the ball over, if we're letting them fast break, if we are not helping each other on defense, like last night then the adjustments Quin makes won't matter. We have to execute.

PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS. DOMINATE ON THE DEFENSIVE GLASS, STOP TRANSITION AT ALL COSTS, MAKE THEM DEFEND IN THE HALFCOURT FOR 24 SECONDS. MAKE IT ****ING UGLY, WEAR THEM OUT, HARD FOULS AT THE RIM, MOVE THE BIG UP ON A PICK BUT DONT SWITCH AND HAVE PLAYERS READY TO TAKE OR MAKE CONTACT IF THEY DRIVE AND JUST BE PERFECT ON ROTATIONS. MAKE THE GAME NOT FUN FOR THEM.

This.

Aggression wins in the play-offs more often than not. Aggression =/= fast play. Aggression is imposing your will, the way the Jazz did in the 7th game against the Clips. And the way the Warriors did in game 1. Whichever team is the most aggressive/imposes their will, usually wins. Game-planning and all that matters to a point. In the end, as Sloan always said, it is about execution.

The Jazz did dominate the defensive glass....

I think the Jazz largely did all of that besides stop transition.

Honestly since Favs isn't healthy I think you have to consider playing Bolomboy next to Rudy. Have Hill, Ingles, and Hayward get back while Rudy and Bolomboy crash the boards. For this to be successful the Jazz have to take more 15 footers to reduce long rebounds. The Jazz can't make shots more efficiently than the Warriors but they can take more of them.
Interesting thought.