What's new

Since I promised to stay out of the other thread, but have been summoned

I agree. Just not sure how I'm going to use it.
In one sense it's not even oxymoronic in context. "About exactly half" would be the same as "nearly exactly half" with the phrase "exactly half" being modified by "nearly" or "about". Grammar nerd mode engaged!

In one sense it's not even oxymoronic in context. "About exactly half" would be the same as "nearly exactly half" with the phrase "exactly half" being modified by "nearly" or "about". Grammar nerd mode engaged!

I see what you are saying, and then the engineer in me says that exactly is a singularity. But I like your logic and I like the idea of about modifying exactly and exactly modifying half.

Nerd fun, indeed

How does "about exactly half" differ from "about half"?

I love how cranks and science frauds love to call for debate, as if that format settles anything. Creationists, anti-vaxxers, and climate change deniers all love to debate.

If anyone disagrees with the alt left then they are automatically conspiracy theorists? Amarite?

You dont actually know though do you? You havent actually done any of the science yourself, and even if you tried at some point, chances are you were bad at it since you didnt spend a lot of time doing it. You probably just read something that its purpose was to convince you of something, and you chose to believe its message. Sounds like faith to me.

If anyone disagrees with the alt left then they are automatically conspiracy theorists? Amarite?

Can you give a definition of "alt left" that does not mean "far left"?

I find the far left typically has an abundance of conspiracy theorists of their own.

You dont actually know though do you? You havent actually done any of the science yourself, and even if you tried at some point, chances are you were bad at it since you didnt spend a lot of time doing it. You probably just read something that its purpose was to convince you of something, and you chose to believe its message. Sounds like faith to me.

I was never really interested in experimentation, that's one reason I studied math. I did fine in the lab courses I was required to take.

I suppose accepting the output of science does involve some sort of faith that millions of people, who have dedicated their lives to uncovering truths, are not engaging in a conspiracy to lie about it. No one can personally investigate everything.

I love how cranks and science frauds love to call for debate, as if that format settles anything. Creationists, anti-vaxxers, and climate change deniers all love to debate.
Hmmm... that's debatable.