What's new

SLC Dunk - 2024 NBA draft profile: Cody Williams

L

Lake Hale

Colorado v Marquette

Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images

My favorite player in the 2024 draft and it’s not even close

Cody Williams is my favorite prospect in the 2024 draft. Teams crave a combination of length, shooting, and athleticism nowadays, Cody Williams excels at all of these things. The younger brother of OKC Thunder’s Jalen Williams is skyrocketing up draft boards as we get closer to the draft. A big part of this is due to his upside, let’s discuss all things Cody Williams and why I think he’s a perfect fit for the Jazz.

Cody Williams is one of the best defenders in this class, bringing high intensity versus the best scorer Colorado faced most nights, where his size and 7'1 wingspan are difficult to deal with. He scored efficiently this season, showing strong basketball instincts and versatility https://t.co/q3gXImI9fV pic.twitter.com/Ab2o8aFsB2

— Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) April 22, 2024

Measurable

Height: 6’8” (with shoes)

Weight: 190

Wingspan: 7’1”

Standing reach: 8’7”

Those measurements are a dream come true for a modern NBA wing/shooting guard. Defense is significantly easier when you’re taller and longer. Deflections are easier, blocks are easier, and overall defensive impact is easier when you can use length to disrupt. With that said, Cody’s greatest strengths are on the offensive end. Cody displayed a pretty tight handle, a really good jump shot, and some offensive creativity in his freshman season.

Stats

PPG: 11.9

RPG: 3.0

APG: 1.6

SPG: 0.6

BPG: 0.7

FG%: 55.2%

FG3%: 41.5%

The 41% from deep will make you wonder why he’s not going #1 overall, but it’s important to note that he only shot 1.7 threes per game. Cody’s jump shot has a beautiful release, and with proper coaching and NBA spacing, I’m sure he’ll be an excellent shooter at the next level.

NBA Comps

Trey Murphy III

Jaden McDaniels

Brandon Miller

As far as his NBA player comps go, Cody isn’t the shooter Trey Murphy III is, he isn’t the defender Jaden McDaniels is, and he doesn’t have the overall game Brandon Miller has. But he has a little bit of everything these guys have, and if it comes together, it could be really special.

*listen to Cody talk about some of his NBA comps and play style

Here's video from the NBA Draft Combine today of Cody Williams, a 6-foot-8 wing who attended the University of Colorado, describing his game and offering player comps for the traits he'll bring to the league: pic.twitter.com/6hsE3dDgkv

— Josh Robbins (@JoshuaBRobbins) May 14, 2024

Conclusion

If I’m the Jazz, Cody Williams is very high on my draft board and maybe #1. He won’t likely be available at pick #10, but the Jazz have a bevy of assets they could throw in to move up a little to get their guy. Cody would fit in perfectly on the Jazz, adding much-needed shooting, defensive versatility, and a great slasher. Cody will need to develop, but his ceiling is a superstar-level player. I’d love to see him in that highlighter yellow this October.

*Cody’s big brother Jalen Williams has some of the best vibes in the league, if Cody is similar he could play a big role in the Jazz locker room and culture.

Full story from SLC Dunk...