What's new

SLC Dunk - Utah Jazz media availability: Danny Ainge is “big game hunting” this offseason

J

James Hansen

Los Angeles Clippers v Utah Jazz

Photo by Chris Gardner/Getty Images

Danny Ainge had a lot to say about where the Utah Jazz are going and what they plan to do this offseason

With the Utah Jazz season coming to a close Danny Ainge had a lot to talk about with reporters about the upcoming offseason and he had a lot to say. When you get a chance, you should watch the full presser here, but here are some of the biggest quotes from Ainge.

When asked what type of players the Jazz are looking for this offseason

“I mean, we want good players; we want a team that is better than the 23rd-ranked team in the NBA. So yeah, all of the above”

It’s a pretty obvious quote from Ainge, but it does show a desire to improve. Interestingly, Ainge makes more comments later in the interview that give more thoughts on how much better he wants to be than the 23rd team.

What are your thoughts on the draft both just at the top and the overall depth of it?

“So it’s a unique draft. I think it’s harder to find, you know, franchise-altering players in this draft than in some drafts. I mean, last year, the top three were pretty well defined even by this time, maybe not the exact order, but some order the top three. I think this year it’s not ... I’m not sure who those are, but I do believe that we’ll be able to find some good players in this draft with multiple draft picks.”

As all the draft experts have said, this draft is lacking a star at the top or a franchise-altering player like Ainge mentions, but that doesn’t mean the Jazz can’t find good players. Some players have some really interesting upside, and, in a draft like this, you never know which player becomes that star no one expected. Having the 8-pick gives the Jazz a better shot at finding that player than if they were in the late lottery around the trade deadline.

With multiple draft picks and a lot of cap space, what optionality do you have this offseason?

“Yeah lots of good options ... and that’s that’s what we’re trying to keep is our is our flexibility and options open. You know, we don’t ... our plan is not to come to training camp with six kids under 20 years old. That’s not ... that’s not a real good option for anybody ... I can’t say that that won’t happen and say that’s not like option A or option B maybe not option C.”

This quote is the epitome of this entire interview. Ainge lets us know that the most important thing for the Jazz is their flexibility. He mentions that the plan is not to bring in mostly rookies into training camp, but he also says that’s a possibility.

Basically, anything could happen this offseason. Your guess is as good as anybody’s. And that’s probably the way Ainge likes it. You don’t come out into these press conferences and just let everyone know what you’re going to do, who you’re going to draft etc. because things can change instantly.

(Justin Zanik) said one of his goals is to trade for a significant player as part of this rebuild, if not this summer, then next. What kind of star would you be looking for in such a trade and how do you see that trade landscape kind of panning out over the course of this particular offseason?

“You know, this has been talked about a little bit, I mean quite a bit actually. I think, I guess the best way to explain that is you know like in in my experience in Boston when we were there, and we had Paul Pierce and Paul was a terrific player, an All-Star player, Hall of Fame player, and ... our plan was to, we lost we lost 19 games in a row in 2007 and our plan was Kevin Durant. But when the lottery came around we got knocked back three spots to number five and our plan changed immediately and we were able to eventually land Ray Allen and KG, which were never available before that moment in time. But we were there and we were ready so it took a lot of good fortune. Obviously it took some bad fortune to go win a championship because if we had drafted KD, which was a top plan, we probably wouldn’t have won a championship, unless for quite a while as a young player. But the bottom line is obviously either of those are very good options but we didn’t have all of those options in front of us. In the NBA, we’re trying to find good players like JZ (Justin Zanik) said that’s our objective. We’ve been close, we felt like we were close once in this process that would have changed the dynamic of our team immediately and the direction and would have been much more clear. To your question what kind of players do you need then you have the answer, but that hasn’t happened, and we do have assets, and we do have flexibility, so we don’t want to panic. We don’t want to go from the 23rd best team to the, you know, 18th best by giving up a bunch of things either. That’s not our objective. Our objective is longevity and quality going forward. Good quality, sorry I mean good longevity.”

This is fascinating for various reasons. Let’s look at them.

• First, Boston's plan was Kevin Durant when Boston was the second-worst team in the league in 2007. This tells me that Ainge is willing to take that route and could possibly do so next year for a franchise-altering player like Cooper Flagg. Obviously, the Celtics were jumped by three teams and ended up fifth, which would have been incredibly disappointing.
  • Boston's plan flipped, and they pivoted quickly to make a big trade that Ainge mentioned wasn’t available then. That ended up working out well for them in an incredible way. They were able to trade for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, which obviously led to a title and the eventual Brooklyn Nets trade.
  • Regarding a trade for a star player, the name of the game is flexibility. Ainge has talked about looking for good players, and they won’t make a move that changes them from the 23rd-best team to the 18th-best team. This tells me that the Jazz will use their collection of assets to get a franchise-altering player, but they aren’t using those unless they get that type of player. This feels like the inverse of the Boston plan in 2007. If they can make a big trade, they will. If a trade doesn’t happen this summer, they may adjust to a plan that means Cooper Flagg.
  • Finally, longevity is mentioned as important. You can infer what you want from that, but Utah is probably not interested in a 1-year rental type of trade.

With the number of young players coming into the league now, ... when ... do you guys start tracking these players these young players coming into the league?

“I just got back from the hoop Summit. ... USA versus the world team, the best international players all in one setting in Portland and there were a few future NBA players there that were 17.”

Ainge says they have scouts that look at high school players even younger than that.

We also found out Danny Ainge was at Hoop Summit, which gave him a chance to see Cooper Flagg, Ace Bailey, and Khaman Maluach, among others. We also know that Ainge was at the Las Vegas Showcase to see some of these same players. You can read between the lines here, but Ainge is interested in personally seeing the top players in next year’s draft. Could this be similar to the Boston plan in 2007, when the Celtics planned to draft Kevin Durant?

You’ve made the mid-season trades with veterans, which has taken you to a .500 start, 26 and 26, and ended 5-25. In your mind why was that the way to go instead of making those trades earlier at the start of the season and then having a better draft pick later?

“I think that’s a very good question, and I think a lot of people have that, that’s been answered a lot too and for some reason there seems to be some confusion on that. But, if we just had a bunch of young players in the draft, we just had six draft picks, and we had the ability to go trade for a franchise-changing player, we got to change the whole team like we don’t want to go get a franchise player. But because we have Lauri Markkanen as an example as one of our good, and others, we don’t feel like we have to make a wholesale change. We can try to find like we, the last two years, I’m not sure ... last year we knew what our team was and I think they surprised themselves and surprised us like how good that team was to start the season.

Again, I will say this, though, that records are deceiving. I think, I mean, obviously, it always matters a record at the end of the season, but I think that our objective is to, you know, find a player or two, and we’re ready to roll. We’re ready to go big game hunting, and that hasn’t happened in the last two years, but if we start all over ... then we’re three years, possibly, or four years, from being anywhere. We feel like we’re closer than that, and we have a chance, I mean, we’re we’re going all in this summer to try to figure out what we can do to get better.

When I say all in that doesn’t mean that we’re going to throw all our chips in and like championship or bust, I’m saying our mindset is that we’re only to try to win, that’s our only objective for the first through, um till we get to July. And if, you know, we don’t land anything, we don’t make any deals, we don’t land anything, then our direction could change at that moment and wait till the next time that we can try to build a roster”

This was the quote of the presser and pretty much lays out what the Jazz say they will do this offseason. Ainge says the Jazz are going big game hunting for great players, which is something they haven’t done in the last two years, but he says it’s not championship or bust. I interpret that as Ainge will go for a big-time player who will be on the Jazz for a long time (if he’s telling the truth about longevity being important). The reason they feel comfortable with that is having Lauri Markkanen.

But like we’ve talked about, if they can’t get that big-time player, the “direction could change at that moment,” and they’ll “wait till next time that we can try to build a roster.” Now, what does next time mean? Is that the following offseason? It certainly feels like this offseason is a huge crossroads for the team, and the Jazz will go hard for a big player. If getting those big time players doesn’t pan out, it certainly seems like anything could happen at that point. His following quote went even further with this...

So did you want to have a team in place in case you made a move that you could win right then? Is that what you’re saying? You want to have the veterans to put around somebody if you acquired somebody say in January?

That’s the benefit of it yeah. Like, there’s another way to do it and just get rid of all of our good players and build a chester full and then try to build it that way, that’s a possibility. But, you know, like I said, in the Boston scenario I used earlier, going from the beginning of the season and losing, and we’re the second-worst team in the NBA, and we get the number five pick, which is not going to change our franchise at all. Only the number one and two picks are going to change it, right? So there are no guarantees in this business at all. That’s why you can’t just have a plan that is like what you’re going to get. Like we didn’t have a plan, we didn’t have a plan when we traded Ray, I mean, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, and got Jaylen Brown and Jaso Tatum, you know, the next two drafts, like those things have they work out ... but you put yourself in position to do that... I mean, to answer your question, yeah, like, we’re not as far ... we’re a big trade away, right, so, um, we explored that all summer last summer.

It certainly seems like dropping to 5th in that 2007 draft hurt Ainge because you can see some of that in what he’s done with the Jazz. They didn’t go for the worst record for Wembanyama, as they traded a good amount of veterans. They also worked to keep their flexibility this year with Markkanen on the roster. He ends by saying they explored big trades last summer, which kind of contradicts what he said when he said this offseason would be the first time they really go big game hunting. Either way, as Ainge puts it, the plan is to go for a Kevin Garnett/Ray Allen-level trade to pair with Lauri Markkanen. But if that doesn’t happen, “getting rid of all of our good players ... and then try to build it that way, that’s a possibility.”

Get ready for a big summer, Jazz fans. A lot seems to depend on the Jazz's ability to make a huge trade.

Are you interested in extending Lauri Markkanen or do you want to let that play out?

“I just prefer not to talk about that, but I mean, I think it’s pretty clear that Lauri Markkanen is a very good player, we love him. Yeah, we’d like to have him around.”

This is an interesting quote. Ainge could have said they’re going to try to re-sign him. He could have said they’ll let it play out. Instead he merely mentions that he’s a good player and they love him. Sure, this could be nothing, and the Jazz could figure out a long-term deal with Markkanen. Or, this could also be a part of showing leverage. Don’t forget, we heard a lot of quotes like this about Donovan Mitchell once upon a time. What we’ve learned from these quotes is that anything is possible this summer. We’ll just have to see.

There were a few final notes here that were interesting, and I’ll just list them here. You should definitely listen to the interview, though, to get your own assumptions.

• The rookies will all be going to summer league, including Walker Kessler.
  • Keyonte George was asked to do a lot having NBA defenses single him out and he felt like that was good for George to go through tough stretches.
  • The Jazz feel Keyonte George is ahead of Taylor Hendricks in terms of development.
  • Taylor Hendricks brought a defensive presence and improved his shooting at the season went on, improving the arc of his shot.
  • Keyonte George was asked to be a point guard for the first time in his life and that was obviously difficult. He had enough good experiences to feel good, but enough bad experiences to have a fire in him this offseason to get better.
  • Danny Ainge says he’s an NBA point guard. He said he’s still not sure he’s a franchise point guard, but he can play point guard and play off of another playing point guard, which is something he’s probably more comfortable doing now. Learning to play point guard was a “big step” for him and provides the Jazz with versatility going forward.
  • They ran some of Lauri Markkanen’s plays for Tayle Hendricks in the last game and he made some nice passes. “There’s a lot of good signs for Taylor moving forward.”
  • They have a plan for each rookie this offseason.
  • Collin Sexton has an incredible work ethic.

We could do more, but you’ll have to listen for yourself. But what I take from this is that anything is possible this offseason, and we’ll be here to talk about all of it.

Full story from SLC Dunk...