What's new

SLC Dunk - Utah Jazz waive Otto Porter Jr.

J

James Hansen

Los Angeles Lakers v Utah Jazz

Photo by Alex Goodlett/Getty Images

The end of an era for Otto Porter Jr. in Utah

According to reports, the Utah Jazz have waived Otto Porter Jr.

The Utah Jazz are waiving forward Otto Porter Jr., sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. pic.twitter.com/snf1f5zdC1

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) March 11, 2024

It’s the end of a shortlived tenure with Utah where Porter was with the team for a day and then left to consider his options. In reality, it’s clear he didn’t have any options to weigh because Utah had the decision on what to do. And the decision the Jazz made with this was to waive him after he could be playoff eligible which makes this more interesting. It’s too bad for Otto Porter who likely would have been picked up by someboday, but maybe Danny Ainge and company aren’t worried about doing anyone any favors.

With the recent signings of Kenneth Lofton Jr and Darius Bazley, the Utah Jazz are looking more and more like a team going young. There are more decisions to make as the offseason approaches and decisions like this seem to imply that the Jazz are looking at getting more youth and bringing on more distressed assets to find that next star in Utah.

Full story from SLC Dunk...

I am guessing he refused to negotiate a buyout and so the Jazz kept him long enough to not be able to be signed by a team. He should have accepted a lower amount and got on a playoff team.

Otto Porter Jr. is basically life. The things you wanted the most, you will get once you (and anyone else ) no longer want them. Like a '72 Corvette. Or your school's prom queen.

I am guessing he refused to negotiate a buyout and so the Jazz kept him long enough to not be able to be signed by a team. He should have accepted a lower amount and got on a playoff team.
There's zero reason for him to negotiate a buyout if no team was interested in signing him.

Him being bought out or not bough out would be no impediment to him talking to others teams. If a team said they wanted him, he would have turned around and negotiated a buyout.

Kind of crazy, OPJ is now retiring. Like a week ago, "multiple teams were interested in signing him." Now he is hanging it up.

I'm guessing the teams being interested him report was last ditch attempt to try and garner interest, and when nobody was actually interested he decided he was done.

Kind of crazy, OPJ is now retiring. Like a week ago, "multiple teams were interested in signing him." Now he is hanging it up.

I'm guessing the teams being interested him report was last ditch attempt to try and garner interest, and when nobody was actually interested he decided he was done.
We wanted him so long, even seeing him spurn us for the Warriors (damn it would have been really nice to have him instead of Gay) but when it was all said and done, ends up retiring a Jazz man.

It was just really weird how everything happened. He was on our bench when he first got traded.... and then just was gone. I really liked him