What's new

slcdunk.com: putting Kanter revenge game in perspective

couscous

Interesting piece by the folks at slcdunks.com

https://www.slcdunk.com/research-st...ozer-derek-fisher-al-jefferson-deron-williams

But I think too many people are going off the deep end with their apparent new-found hatred of Kanter. It's not like he lied to our team owner to get out of a legal binding contract to go sign with our major opponent / obstacle in the Conference (Derek Fisher), or tried to instigate a locker room coup to oust our team captain (Mark Jackson), or a guy who was openly critical of legendary coach Jerry Sloan (John Amaechi), or someone who wouldn't suit up in important games, take a lot of time off each season, and then proclaim that he was gone -- and getting a raise regardless (Carlos Boozer). Too often I find myself trying to bring the big picture / greater frame of reference to some of the more emotional fans out there that I am lucky enough to interact with.

Kanter was THE GUY that used to go to all the community events, read to children at schools, visit kids in the hospital, and so on. He was even used in Jazz promos as Kanter Claus, and so forth -- even though he wasn't even Christian. He loved it in Utah, and loved being a part of the Jazz, no matter what he said in an emotionally charged first return here, where he has to (like most 22 year olds) put up some barrier (or "front") like he doesn't care. When he got called for his second foul and he lined up in the box his right eye started twitching like crazy. Longtime observers would remember that this was his default nervous tick that he developed because of external stress -- he had it for MOST of his rookie year in Utah. He got booed, he said things that may not have been 100% true, and after the game he had to double down on his statements like all young, proud, men. Men who can't ever show weakness. But on the inside this 22 year old was still the same dude that worked so hard to earn more minutes with the Jazz, even though minutes could not have been earned in his 2nd year in the league.

I'm not absolving Kanter of what he said, or admonishing fans for booing him. I do want to put it into better perspective that while he has to try to be stubborn and praise his new team while trashing his old one, it is very likely that he is doing that because of the advice he is getting. He's in a contract year, he has to prove his loyalty to OKC in order to drive up his market price for whatever team he signs with. It's Kabuki. Or the WWE. It's good drama.

But while what Kanter did has hurt a lot of fans, the actual harm to the franchise is quite low compared to some of the stunts other former Jazzmen pulled. And while Enes's Thunder didn't get the win, he did something that very few players have in their return games . . . . he hurt us out there on the court. (Yes, +/- indicates otherwise, and his inability to defend also helped the Jazz very much. I know all of that.)

Hate Kanter all you want, but at least know that despite what he says or how he acts, inside the boos did get to him, and even deeper inside he'll never forget his first years as a pro in Utah. The good and the bad, even if over the last 48 hours he only talked about how frustrated he was.

Reminds me of the statement Andy Larsen said

"It's funny, Kanter was an incredibly happy-go-lucky guy. He was easily the nicest player to me, even when I was ripping him: he's just a fun guy! But then, after games, especially losses, you could just see that it was eating him up that he wasn't getting more of a chance to contribute. He was making very thinly veiled comments about Ty's coaching and rotations. He clearly thought that this year would be a new beginning, but when a second coach limited him too (due to his defense), he wanted out. But yeah, he was unhappy about his situation at least going back to year 2."

on a side note I wonder if Kanter is the reason other players have wanted to leave in the past?

So glad he is on a different team.

Hasn't Lebron James even admitted to coasting?

Lebron has proven himself in this league. He earned his minutes, he has won a championship. He has admitted to coasting during the regular season on a team that is going to make the playoffs and favorites to win it all is a little different.

Kanter was THE GUY that used to go to all the community events, read to children at schools, visit kids in the hospital, and so on. He was even used in Jazz promos as Kanter Claus, and so forth -- even though he wasn't even Christian. He loved it in Utah, and loved being a part of the Jazz, no matter what he said in an emotionally charged first return here, where he has to (like most 22 year olds) put up some barrier (or "front") like he doesn't care.

..... and now we finally know what he thought about those events. He didn't enjoy them. He made that clear. He was obviously just keeping up appearances and just did it for the PR of the Kanter Brand.

Hasn't Lebron James even admitted to coasting?

This had been explained to you like a dozen times. But you insist on defending kanter regardless. I guess those are your true colors. Kanter > Jazz for you.

There's a world of difference between 'coasting' and consciously, consistently dogging it.

You think Enes Kanter played worse on purpose? Did you study as much as you possibly could for every test in school? Did you give 100% on your job everyday at work? I know Kanter gets millions for his job but everyone is human. I am an Arizona Cardinals fan and Calais Campbell who is a pro bowler and best player on his team admitted that "the fact that the team was multiple games ahead of rest of division creeped into the back of every players mind" and made them play worse. To me I would get more mad at Kanter critiquing the professionalism of the organization and the fans and nothing of the admittance he didn't bring it every single night.

I think the biggest thing is his teammates weren't too fond of him. They're gonna know more than the average reporter/fan.

Some of the press is getting emotional because of their relationship with Kanter. He was a goofy, fun interview and he provided great material. We get it press, you liked the guy and you want to stand up for him.

But what he did and said was really, really ****ty.

All I know from my interaction with him, twice, was at a fan signing at ESA this year. He was a ****ing turd to everyone, rolling his eyes and sighing while signing fan ****. He acted like a spoiled child who didn't want to be there.

Kanter is exactly that, a spoiled kid who finally got what he wanted and didn't hesitate to rub it in to everyone in Utah.

Thanks, dick.

I wonder if the writer of that piece can point to any other pro athlete who has gone to such lengths to disrespect his old team. I certainly cannot. There is the occassional one or two line pot shot, but not repeated and repeated criticisms.

I wonder if the writer of that piece can point to any other pro athlete who has gone to such lengths to disrespect his old team. I certainly cannot. There is the occassional one or two line pot shot, but not repeated and repeated criticisms.

Exactly.

Look, I was actually one who really liked Kanter pretty much his whole time here. Always supported the guy. But what he did was completely unprofessional. That's the bottom line.

Sent from the JazzFanz app