What's new

Slow tank...

Haha. What a stupid question. We have new coach whose entire career in the NBA depends on performing ASAP and a bunch of older guys in need of their last big contract. So you think those guys made a decision to sacrifice all of that, even tho several of them very probably won't be with the team next year, just so that we can get a lottery pick. And then they forgot to tell the young guys of their plans, since the youth are still playing their asses off and keeping the games close.

Like I said, a stupid ****ing question.

I don't think the strategy at the outset was to "tank". That's not what I meant. I do think that they play to win. But in that stretch after the trade deadline when we lost 4 games in a row on that East Coast trip by very small margin - it seems to me the wind had been taken out of the sail. If you remember, during that stretch, Big Al & Sap were also out for quite a few games due to injuries.

This is just my opinion, but to me it's perfectly plausible that, with the free agency looming, Big Al & Millsap somehow decided that shooting for the playoffs wasn't in their best interest anymore. And that staying healthy going into free agency is more important.

This then lowered their motivation to play well (Ty confirmed this in an interview), causing us to lose more games.

Now - you're KOC, you've got no control over how hard Big Al & Millsap are going to play. What then are your options?

Do you still stubbornly shoot for the playoffs - knowing that even starting Favors/Kanter isn't going to cut it?

Or do you make a last ditch attempt at a slow tank to get a decent lotto pick?

Note re your comment on young guys: They are going to play hard regardless. They're so starved of minutes and their place in this team is secured for years to come.

Haha. What a stupid question. We have new coach whose entire career in the NBA depends on performing ASAP and a bunch of older guys in need of their last big contract. So you think those guys made a decision to sacrifice all of that, even tho several of them very probably won't be with the team next year, just so that we can get a lottery pick. And then they forgot to tell the young guys of their plans, since the youth are still playing their asses off and keeping the games close.

Like I said, a stupid ****ing question.

You're a stupid question.

they way the rotations that make no logical sense and the NOSE DIVE they've taken I'd say heads must roll ... we need players that actually want to win and a coach that will play some talent

they way the rotations that make no logical sense and the NOSE DIVE they've taken I'd say heads must roll ... we need players that actually want to win and a coach that will play some talent

The problem I think now is that KOC/Ty is in a catch 22. On the 1 hand, they could bench Big Al & Sap for a lack of effort - but then their trade value takes a nose dive as well. But if they're still looking to S&T these guys, then they have to show the NBA that these guys can still play.

So we're stuck with this: Start Al & Sap, and let the young guys come in & finish the game.

Ugh.. at least we don't have long to go now...

that is a valid point.... but considering they are free agents the only way Jazz are going to trade them now is via sign and trade .. unless i'm mistaken ... I'm wondering if that was the plan why not have done that before the trade deadline? just still not making much sense ... the way things are going I'm sure ticket sales are going to take a nose dive for next year

that is a valid point.... but considering they are free agents the only way Jazz are going to trade them now is via sign and trade .. unless i'm mistaken ... I'm wondering if that was the plan why not have done that before the trade deadline? just still not making much sense ... the way things are going I'm sure ticket sales are going to take a nose dive for next year

I think that 4 straight losses in that East Coast trip plus injuries to Big Al & Sap really caught KOC/Lindsey off guard.

If we had kept on winning & everybody is healthy, this boat would still be sailing (remember too, we were about tied with GSW with the 6th seed at 1 point).

Everytime you make a decision, you take a risk. Losing 4 in a row at crucial time + injuries to BOTH big Al & Sap was that risk.

More proofs:

Bill Ingram ‏@TheRocketGuy
In talking with Ty Corbin it's fairly clear that he feels his team has already started packing for free agency.

Bill Ingram ‏@TheRocketGuy
Al Jefferson said he feels like Corbin has done everything he can do. It's on the players now, and he's not confident they can make a run.

That isn't proof at all. The Jazz aren't purposely tanking to get a better pick. If they were, they would have done so back when it mattered the most - not with the season almost over and their record still good enough to make it nearly impossible to crawl their way into the top-ten of the lottery. The real reality here is that the team has quit on Ty - not that there is some crazy plot between Corbin, the FO and the players to tank the remainder of the season to grab that wonderful 13th pick!

This seemed appropriate
th

That isn't proof at all. The Jazz aren't purposely tanking to get a better pick. If they were, they would have done so back when it mattered the most - not with the season almost over and their record still good enough to make it nearly impossible to crawl their way into the top-ten of the lottery. The real reality here is that the team has quit on Ty - not that there is some crazy plot between Corbin, the FO and the players to tank the remainder of the season to grab that wonderful 13th pick!

Well the season mattered less than 4 weeks ago when we were nearly tied with GSW for 6th place I believe. Then it went downhill pretty quickly after that. From memory, we were 7 games up on the Lakers at that point.

Whether or not it's players quiting on Ty or a deliberate slow tank, we'll never know. My take is, players will always do what's best for themselves. Whether or not that includes quiting on a coach is up to interpretation.

One thing is certain though, this team has packed up for the season (with the exclusion of the young guys who are just so hungry for quality minutes).

I am torn.
On one hand Corbin can't be dumb enough to keep playing same expiring vets while they clearly worse than young guys. He has FO and assistants to help him out with that too. It's not like he's got Jackson's or Sloan's career behind him so he could tell those off if they approach him. So there definitely is a purpose in what he does.
On another hand if there is a decision to tank then it's too late for that and difference between 12-13 pick and 16-17 is negligible in this upcoming draft. It's also too early to tell who will be available in teens for sure even if they have someone they like so bad they are ready to tank to get him.

There something fishy is going on behind the scenes.

I am torn.
On one hand Corbin can't be dumb enough to keep playing same expiring vets while they clearly worse than young guys. He has FO and assistants to help him out with that too. It's not like he's got Jackson's or Sloan's career behind him so he could tell those off if they approach him. So there definitely is a purpose in what he does.
On another hand if there is a decision to tank then it's too late for that and difference between 12-13 pick and 16-17 is negligible in this upcoming draft. It's also too early to tell who will be available in teens for sure even if they have someone they like so bad they are ready to tank to get him.

There something fishy is going on behind the scenes.

Agreed with everything except the bolded part.

Burke will be gone by #16.

Agreed with everything except the bolded part.

Burke will be gone by #16.
Burke may end up going top 10. Even if they target Burke they have no clue where he will be coming draft day. No sense tanking couple of spots for that.

Burke may end up going top 10. Even if they target Burke they have no clue where he will be coming draft day. No sense tanking couple of spots for that.

It's the same reason the black caps batting on and not enforcing follow-on. They'd since build a lead of 400 runs today. Do they need all those runs to bowl England out? May be not. But it's good to have them just in case.

I'll leave it at that.