SLTrib Blog: Miles: Im stinking it up!"

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
SLTrib Blog: Miles: Im stinking it up!

SOURCE

Miles: 'I'm stinking it up'

Published on Oct 29, 2010 06:04PM 0 Comments

Transcript of an interview with Jazz guard C.J. Miles conducted Friday prior to practice.

Miles' thoughts after two games:

The first thing is, it's two games of the season. So, there's no time to panic. But at the same time, there's some things that we should be doing that we're not doing. That's why we're in here today after back to back. Practice; work on the things that we need to do; and just keep trying to work and keep coming together. It's not like we don't have the pieces to do it, to win games and do the things that we can do.

Key players picking up on trouble during preseason:

In the preseason, everything was a lot smoother. But at the same time, the preseason games, they don't mean anything. Everybody's not playing; everybody's not playing a lot of minutes. It's different. Even the rotations that we're using are different. But that's still no excuse for some of the things we've been doing effort wise. We missed shots. But at the same time, we didn't stop them from making shots. So, you can't not shoot the ball well and not play on the other end, too. We've just got to keep working, man. That's pretty much all it is. Just keep working. Keep putting the effort in. It's going to come around. … It's just because we went 8-0 in preseason, which is probably the worst thing that could've really happened, when you think about it. It's a mental thing. We don't do it on purpose. But human nature does it. We went 8-0, so it's kind of a demeanor you have coming into the season. It's, like, 'We went 8-0.' But now it's, like, kind of a reality check for everybody.

Not playing smooth:

If I stop hacking people, I might actually have a chance to start doing something. I haven't been in either game for more than five minutes without having to go sit back down before I even have a chance to get down the court and break a sweat. I'm stinking it up. I've got to do better, I've got to play better. There's no excuse for it. … Do the things I did in preseason. I didn't rebound the first two games. I [didn't have] steals. It's all just effort. I'm just going to change it. The scoring's going to come. I know that. My teammates know that. The offense that we run, I don't need a lot of shots to score, because of the way we run our offense. I know how to be in the right spots. It's just the matter of being on the floor to be in the right spots. If I can do the things I did — the steals, the couple of blocks — during the preseason, I can get fast breaks, and then I can get layups, and then it all builds. It builds from that. So it's got to start at the other end for me.

— Brian T. Smith

Last edited:
Well, him admitting it makes me a little less peeved at him.

I don't know how he manages to foul someone every time he moves, but he needs to figure it out.

CJ at least leads the league in "admitted sucking". It's the most important stat outside of +/- IMO, ask Reggie Miller........

It's not new. This is his new trend. Talking to media about it will not change the mistakes. Glad that he is aware of the fact that he does not play defense the way he should but I'm not encouraged. He ,again in a recent interview, said that he forces himself too much to show his improvements, what he can do on the floor and because of thinking too much of it and over-focusing on the issue, he told he has had some problems. He continued to be a ballhog, chucker in the first two games of the season. So, no more talking, show by example, CJ. I'm not buying it.

I'm encouraged.

I like CJ. I wish the effort had been there the first two games, but I'm looking forward to him stepping it up over the next few games and showing Jazz fans why Sloan has so much faith in his abilities.

I can't wait till CJ gets the boot out the door! After watching him single-handedly screw up 3 possessions in a row (blocked shot, air ball a three pointer, and turn it over) just confirmed everything that I think about him since day 1. (of course that's not everything so don't be retarded about it). :D

I can't wait till CJ gets the boot out the door! After watching him single-handedly screw up 3 possessions in a row (blocked shot, air ball a three pointer, and turn it over) just confirmed everything that I think about him since day 1. (of course that's not everything so don't be retarded about it). :D

I agree. He screwed up a better played 3rd quarter all by himself. Bad selections, lazy fouls, no defense.