SLTrib: Miles’ talk with Sloan goes a long way

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
SOURCE

By Brian T. Smith

Published: November 5, 2010 10:11AM
Updated: November 5, 2010 12:20AM

Many things changed for the Jazz between Oct. 28 and 31.

The first date marked the height of a two-game losing streak that left guard Deron Williams frustrated and coach Jerry Sloan searching for answers.

The second signaled a sudden turnaround, as Utah turned a likely road loss against Oklahoma City into a surprising and much-needed victory.

While the Jazz used the two-day window to sharpen their focus and improve their attack, Utah swingman C.J. Miles turned the brief break into a new start.

Miles was abysmal during the losses, totaling four points on 1-for-8 shooting while recording eight fouls.

Then a one-on-one conversation with Sloan set the veteran straight. Sloan asked Miles if everything was OK. Once Miles said yes, Utah’s coach reminded his player that he had to avoid weak, early fouls if he wanted to stay on the court and help his team. In return, Miles vowed to put in extra work, find his rhythm and “fix it.”

“The next two games I was good,” said Miles, who is averaging 20 points while shooting 60 percent from the field and 72.7 percent beyond the arc since the conversation.

Looking likely

Jazz forward Paul Millsap did not practice Thursday but is probable for tonight’s road game against Golden State.

Millsap sprained his right ankle during a victory Wednesday over Toronto. He returned to action and finished with 21 points.

Meanwhile, Utah center Kyrylo Fesenko (gastric distress) and forward Jeremy Evans (sprained right wrist) are game-time decisions. Both attended practice Thursday, and Fesenko was scheduled to engage in as much action as possible.

“I need to sweat it out,” Fesenko said.

Evans said that his wrist is improving, but he is taking the advice of the team training staff before returning to the court.

“I know nothing about wrists,” Evans said.

Small and speedy

Williams praised the talent of Golden State guards Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry.

Ellis leads the NBA in average scoring with 30 points per game and has dropped in 46 and 39 points during the Warriors’ (3-1) first four games.

“Monta can just flat out put the ball in the basket,” Williams said. “He’s one of the fastest guys in the NBA. Just relentless at attacking the basket.”

Curry has been limited by a right ankle sprain. But the lightweight guard is one of the best young players in the game, and is averaging 20.5 points and 8.5 assists through two contests.

“He’s developed into a great point guard,” Williams said. “You know he had the skills to be a point guard, you just didn’t know how it was going to translate, because he was more of a 2 in college. He can pass the ball. He can score the ball, shoot the ball. He has a great IQ.”

bsmith@sltrib.com Twitter: @tribjazz

Good God, like we need to know he's scheduled to engage in as much action as possible with gastric issues!

And isn't this the second time this season for him to have gastric issues? What, does he have Boozer bowels?

I always have gastric distress for about 2-3 days after drinkin souther comfort all night. I feel for fess he has probably had some bloody TP recently