What's new

So did we learn anything from last years "Learning Year"?

Just Ted

It seems to me that these last two games are exactly the type of game we were supposed to be learning from last year. If I have to hear Harpring or Boler say that this is a great learning experience for these young guys again I'm going to lose it. They have been young for years now. Yes I know we need a point guard, and Gobert was out, but we need to put teams away. We still haven't learned to close games.

It seems to me that these last two games are exactly the type of game we were supposed to be learning from last year. If I have to hear Harpring or Boler say that this is a great learning experience for these young guys again I'm going to lose it. They have been young for years now. Yes I know we need a point guard, and Gobert was out, but we need to put teams away. We still haven't learned to close games.

You are right, this story that the team is young and losing close games is a great learning experience, sounds like an excuse. The Core4 is playing together since at least 3 seasons. Favors is in the league since 5 seasons, Hayward and Burks 4 seasons, Burke and Gobert 3 seasons. This team had enough time to get learning experience, now it's time to win games and get playoff experience. We are not D-League team that has to only objective to develop players without caring of the results. The rebuilding time is over, now it's time to see the real value of this team.

This story of great learning experience of losing close games should be addressed to Snyder that is a sophomore Nba coach. He has to learn to manage better the decisive moments of the game.

The Jazz don't have a player to carry the team offensively down the stretch in the fourth quarter. Maybe the only one is Burks.
Quin has to prepare better offensive tactics in the last 3 minutes in close games and not only giving the freedom to Hayward to play hero-ball. I have doubts with his substitutions in the 4th quarter too.

Last edited:
Good hell. They just took 2 playoff teams from last year to the wire on the road. WTF do you expect? A win every damn game from the 5th youngest team in the league, without 2 starters. If so quit watching sports because that is not a realistic expectation.

Ok, I have never been accused of being a punch drinker.

That said, we are a .500 team and the team's we've lost to haven't been embarrassing. We're not getting blown out and we've played a lot of road games.

The goal here was always to get a low playoff seed in the 6-8 range and be a little frisky. For that we're on track. When we're 20 games in and we're 3.5 out of the 8th seed is when I'll start panicking about the path we've taken to get here.

You are right, this story that the team is young and losing close games is a great learning experience, sounds like an excuse. The Core4 is playing together since at least 3 seasons. Favors is in the league since 5 seasons, Hayward and Burks 4 seasons, Burke and Gobert 3 seasons. This team had enough time to get learning experience, now it's time to win games and get playoff experience. We are not D-League team that has to only objective to develop players without caring of the results.

This story of great learning experience of losing close games should be addressed to Snyder that is a sophomore Nba coach. He has to learn to manage better the decisive moments of the game.

The Jazz don't have a player to carry the team offensively down the stretch in the fourth quarter. Maybe the only one is Burks.
Quin has to prepare better offensive tactics in the last 3 minutes in close games and not only giving the freedom to Hayward to play hero-ball.
So what did you guys expect? You thought they would win every close game because they played in close games before and they no longer the youngest team in the league?

Good hell. They just took 2 playoff teams from last year to the wire on the road. WTF do you expect? A win every damn game from the 5th youngest team in the league, without 2 starters. If so quit watching sports because that is not a realistic expectation.

This

Not every game, but when you are in it late in the 4th and miss free throws and make critical mistakes that cost the game it's hard to accept. The worst part is not the losing, it's the Boler and Harp using the exact same lines from last year to say why we are losing. Are we not to expect a better product this year and years to come. If we say the same things and play the same way how is that okay? GoodHell What do I expect? I expect some improvement. I know the record thus far is better this year than last so there is that. I just want to see the simple mistakes dissipate.

Not every game, but when you are in it late in the 4th and miss free throws and make critical mistakes that cost the game it's hard to accept. The worst part is not the losing, it's the Boler and Harp using the exact same lines from last year to say why we are losing. Are we not to expect a better product this year and years to come. If we say the same things and play the same way how is that okay? GoodHell What do I expect? I expect some improvement. I know the record thus far is better this year than last so there is that. I just want to see the simple mistakes dissipate.
So you said it yourself. You want improvement. We have improved.
Sounds more like you want perfection

So you said it yourself. You want improvement. We have improved.
Sounds more like you want perfection

Burks, Burke, Favors are dramatically improved. TOs are down, D is maintained and the refusal to give up looks amazing.

Winning consistently on the road is the LAST thing a team puts together. The Boozer-Williams Jazz never really got there, and you are expecting that in the third real year of a rebuild? If the Jazz sniff 40% on the road this year I will be ecstatic. They are currently doing better than that.

This team still has too many holes. The plan was to have Exum take a big step forward, which it looked like he had (for one game) and then move Neto to the backup PG and move Burke for parts.

With Exum out, we still have a colossal sized hole at PG. Until that is fixed, we are severely flawed.

IF Exum pans out, we will be a title contender. If he doesn't pan out, our ceiling is probably at Deron/Boozer level.

Winning consistently on the road is the LAST thing a team puts together. The Boozer-Williams Jazz never really got there, and you are expecting that in the third real year of a rebuild? If the Jazz sniff 40% on the road this year I will be ecstatic. They are currently doing better than that.

Didn't the Stockton/Malone Jazz only have a winning road record once?

Mistakes have dissipated. You've gotten everything you asked for in this thread yet you still made it. They've improved, they are better on the road (so far), and they have made fewer mistakes this year. Have a little patience they are still one of the youngest teams and core's in the league.

Why I'm not worried about this at all:

* not a single player of much significance is likely trending downwards (barring injury) for 3-4 years
* many potentially significant players are still def trending upward
* the "maturity" factor that leads to big road wins is likely 1-2 years out even for Hayward/Favors, the greybeards of the team, you know those little things
* a read heavy Offense, players keep talking about how many reads they have to make, is damn hard to learn but if enabled rocks and helps at end of game - think that Favors to Lyles lob in the paint against Heat
* Quin as a 2nd year coach is probably still getting better at late game out of Timeout situations and he's already not bad
* Gobert's end of last season, late game swagger isn't fully back yet, it will return
* All things equal, Hayward's slump, is most probably just that a: slump, and he'll be back to pushing Favor's for best player
* HEY BONUS - our defensive stud of an injured PG is only upside from whatever we accomplish this year and is either a push or a press