What's new

So why not Jeff Withey?

Witty Username

Seems like when Gobert goes down, it would be a given that we would give the guy who (another seven footer) we gave a multi-year contract to a chance to stand in. Instead we got to see a whole lot of Lyles, and Booker fouling out with zero points. Am I wrong that he looked like he could at least defend at the rim and hit free throws in the pre-season? Is anyone else confused why we have Pleiss and Withey sitting at the end of the bench or inactive?

I'm confused too. Withey played really well during preseason and he's the only backup rim protector we have, so why doesn't he get a chance ? That's puzzling, especially when Lyles and Booker are as terrible as they are now.

Yep. Idk why he isn't playing.

I'm confused too. Withey played really well during preseason and he's the only backup rim protector we have, so why doesn't he get a chance ? That's puzzling, especially when Lyles and Booker are as terrible as they are now.
My thoughts as well. I'm kind of fed up with Lyles for now and think Withey deserves a shot. But maybe Snyder is seeing stuff in practice that we don't know about.

I've been confused, too. Thought Withey played well enough in preseason that he should be getting playing time. In fact, I had him ranked as the 3rd big, ahead of Booker, Lyles, and Pleiss. Thought he showed decent defense, some shot blocking, and a little bit of an offensive game. Hard to understand why he hasn't been given an opportunity, given how bad the other backup bigs have been.

I've been confused, too. Thought Withey played well enough in preseason that he should be getting playing time. In fact, I had him ranked as the 3rd big, ahead of Booker, Lyles, and Pleiss. Thought he showed decent defense, some shot blocking, and a little bit of an offensive game. Hard to understand why he hasn't been given an opportunity, given how bad the other backup bigs have been.

He's not playing because his contract is not guaranteed. It will make it easier for the Jazz to pink slip him if that's what they want to do. I think he could have done no worse than Trey and Book last night.

Whithy hasn't even gotten into a game for garbage mins. It truly is the curious case of Whithy. Even in nola when ever he got mins he looked good but never could crack the rotation now he's captain seatwarmer for the Jazz after a very good preseason. Dudes not a stiff... He's a long athletic 7ft rim protector that can hit ft's. It kinda pisses me off as I really was excited when I heard the Jazz signed him.

Maybe Quin is feeling pressure to develope Lyles. Lindsey might be feeling the pressure too since he came to the Jazz and inherited a bunch of assets and has been slowly squandering them away.

Add me to the color me confused group. I get wanting to develop Lyles. We have to. But we also need a legit 5 on the floor and there is no reason there can't be a delicate balance of the two.

I was surprised that Lyles was in the starting unit. I thought Withey or Tibor would get the start, as to not change the bench rotations and keep the size. That stated Favors had an A+ game so it seemed right to start him at center.

Wny Not Withey?

I've been wondering why Quinn hasn't been playing Withey -- thought maybe he was injured. But after tonight, I think he definitely is a better option than Booker or Lyles. Plays solid D and is good fundamentally, like Harpring said, he seems to be in the right place at the right time. He looked good to me in preseason too.

It looks like Whithey is doing a good job as a backup center. He looks very robust, blocks shots, getting rebounds, scoring, putback dunks, runs the sets like a poor man's Jarron Collins. However, I think Snyder should bench him again. Remember, Whithey looked just as solid in preseason and Snyder chose to not play him after that.

Why? Because Whithey is too good.

Stay with me here. Snyder likes playing guys like Booker and Pleiss as backups. Booker took shooting lessons from my grandma in the offseason. Pleiss looks like a wet noodle flopping around, hoping one of his appendages happens to touch the ball. He even enjoys starting Lyles against Chris Bosh and Vucevic. Come on, those of us who watched Lyles **** up on defense 4 times in a row realized that Snyder isn't putting the best players on the floor. He wants to strengthen Hayward and Favors by making them play with some empty soda cans. Only then will they become what Snyder wants them to be: true megastars.

- Craig