What's new

Some Jazz preseason positive stats

karpasov

So I have a two days seminar and I am not always able to concentrate and be focused on the topic. What I do have is this sense of excitement towards our new Jazz team. So using NBA.Com, Fox sports stats, and my Nexus 5 android, I did this little info graphic highlighting some of the more interesting and positive stats so far. The graphic is pretty primitive but I hope it's understandable...

attachment.php

IMG_20141024_171543.jpg

Might have some time tomorrow to do some more..

Great stuff! Very quick visual that shows off the improved defense.

Will be very curious to see how this translates to the regular season.

karpasov - thanks for the informative post.

David Locke commented this morning that the one thing that will change notably from preseason to regular season is the offensive ranking. From 7 to probably 24th-ish. He said this is due to preseason scouting is essentially zero (claimed that clippers told him zero scouting.) The Jazz at this point are unknown offensively so this makes sense. I'm hopeful though that Quin's assertion that the team learns fast will allow them to improve their offensive system well enough to stay in the mid-range offensively rather than lower 1/3 as Locke has predicted.

And Locke added an opinion on the transition D. Locke is excited about this aspect of the Jazz new look. They currently allow about 10ppg in transition which is un-obtainable in regular season he thinks, but it will still be much better than past years. Also transition d was the focus of (opening activity) of just about every practice up to this point. While he didn't offer an opinion of the Jazz defensive ranking changing from pre- to regular season, he was more optimistic about it. I would have to agree and thus the d-ranking and the rebounding #'s - both of which are a highly correlated to hustle and desire - will translate to regular season better. I'm still looking at 40win season :)

Proves that the Jazz need to work on their FTs and I'd like to be top 5 in assists and pace.

Thrilled with the defensive numbers and the shooting %s. Very solid improvement and I hope to see more.

Way to go Q!

So I have a two days seminar and I am not always able to concentrate and be focused on the topic. What I do have is this sense of excitement towards our new Jazz team. So using NBA.Com, Fox sports stats, and my Nexus 5 android, I did this little info graphic highlighting some of the more interesting and positive stats so far. The graphic is pretty primitive but I hope it's understandable...

attachment.php

View attachment 3832

Might have some time tomorrow to do some more..
Awesome work bro! Very easy too read and lots of good info

Burks is doing his part. He leads the league with 9.5 FTAs per game.

That's an amazing number

David Locke commented this morning that the one thing that will change notably from preseason to regular season is the offensive ranking. From 7 to probably 24th-ish. He said this is due to preseason scouting is essentially zero (claimed that clippers told him zero scouting.) The Jazz at this point are unknown offensively so this makes sense. I'm hopeful though that Quin's assertion that the team learns fast will allow them to improve their offensive system well enough to stay in the mid-range offensively rather than lower 1/3 as Locke has predicted.

On the flip side, the offense should grow quite a bit from here to counteract scouting. I don't buy the scouting pov anyway since the Jazz aren't really doing a ton of complex, cohesive things. Sure, we're all very happy for the improved movement and tempo, but can anyone tell me what they're doing that you'd have to scout thoroughly?

They have a few wrinkles so far such as a double DHO fake from Favors to two ball handlers, with the second setting a down screen for the corner wing to swing up for an open three or catch and drive (a nice variant on the basic triangle action). Plays like that seem the exception so far. Normally it's pretty standard stuff that NBA vets are used to.

Good coaches adapt to scouting by adding wrinkles to get those extra 3-4 confusion buckets per game. Snyder seems to have a mind that can adapt to scouting, so what David Locke is saying is only one side of the equation.

I think Locke is overblown here. With games two or three times a week plus travel, there really isn't going to be much scouting and preparation of what are perceived as the "weaker" teams. Those are the teams you just need to go out and beat based on execution. It was the reason the Jazz had problems with the "Pesky Wolves" back in the day and why we probably beat Miami a lot more than we should. Good teams scout and prepare for teams they may meet in the playoffs. Bad teams are just trying to run their stuff and learn how to play together consistently. I'm not sure they have the type of time to devote a strategy to contain Alec Burks consistently. I'm not sure we stay at #7, but the offense as currently constituted will do better than #24, just taking into account the horribleness of the Eastern Conference.

Also, an improving offense based on shot selection and shooting a better percentage should automatically help with transition Defense. Pulling the ball out of the basket from a made shot or FT tends to remove a lot of opportunities for running the other direction. That's Jerry Sloan 101.

I'd like to be top 5 in assists.

I doubt it, but to put a number on it the Jazz need 1.95 more assists per game to move up from 26th to league average and 3.65 to break the top five.

I also expect them to shoot more 3 pointers. Average is 21.5/game. The Jazz are shooting 21.3 in pre-season. Their pre-season 3 point % would have been in a 3 way tie for 4th last season and .04 off the #2 spot (Spurs blow everyone out with .397). If they continue shooting 38% then they might start bombing like Golden State (2037 attempts on .380%, vs Jazz 1577 on .344%).

Another random stat: Jazz were 2nd worst in forcing turnovers last season, middle of the pack in offensive TOV%, ORB% and DRB%.

All four of those can improve and I expect the defensive TOV% to come way up and the offensive to make marginal improvement.

Another random stat: Jazz were 2nd worst in forcing turnovers last season, middle of the pack in offensive TOV%, ORB% and DRB%.

All four of those can improve and I expect the defensive TOV% to come way up and the offensive to make marginal improvement.

Yep, better transition defense makes the other team play more half court which really increases the odds of turning the other team over or them taking bad shots. The fact that Transition D is the place where Quinn started reshaping the team should make all of excited. . .

Gordon has already shown his ability to create turnovers. He leads the league in steals so far. Looks like Q may have unleashed the beast.

That's an amazing number

It really is. The most recent guys to average more than 9.5 FTAs a game (in regular season of course) are Harden, Howard, Durant, James, Wade, Iverson, Pierce, Bryant, etc.

Burks should easily get 8 FTA a game at least.

Gordon has already shown his ability to create turnovers. He leads the league in steals so far. Looks like Q may have unleashed the beast.

Very pleased with the improved steals and shooting % from Hayward. I expect a small improvement in his ppg, and spg. I expect roughly equal rpg and a decrease in his apg.