What's new

Sorry Jazz fans – Ben is the NBA Rookie of the Year

To be honest the only real gripe with Simmons being ROY is the redshirt year getting acclimatised with the environment, etc... But hey Blake Griffith got the Roy despite of that, so as long as it's not forbidden, it makes sense to give it to Simmons for the overall impact.

The main point about this year ROY challenge is that it was of a very very very high level. Not one of those Brogdon or Carter-Williams years.

Simmons has a true shooting percentage of 55%, what is Mitchell's true shooting %?

Not to mention Ben is a better defender, passer and rebounder.

This is a good example of selective boosterism. Yeah, that's a fine true shooting percentage for Simmons. Good for him. But it has to be taken in context depending on how that percentage plays out in the game in tandem with what his team needs. Last year Rudy Gobert was #1 in the league in true shooting percentage at .681%. Is he a better offensive player than Simmons? Or is he doing it differently?

Look, it's pretty clear you're either a Jazz troll who enjoys stirring the pot about Simmons (possibly an Aussie who was following the team because of Ingles and Exum), or you're a Simmons fan and you're trolling us that way. Either way, it's an old shtick. Find something more productive to do.

Even if Simmons loses ROY the year, chin up! I bet he will be the front runner in his third year. . .
Yep, for a guy like Simmons his Rookie of the Year motto is...there is always next year.

This is a good example of selective boosterism. Yeah, that's a fine true shooting percentage for Simmons. Good for him. But it has to be taken in context depending on how that percentage plays out in the game in tandem with what his team needs. Last year Rudy Gobert was #1 in the league in true shooting percentage at .681%. Is he a better offensive player than Simmons? Or is he doing it differently?

Look, it's pretty clear you're either a Jazz troll who enjoys stirring the pot about Simmons (possibly an Aussie who was following the team because of Ingles and Exum), or you're a Simmons fan and you're trolling us that way. Either way, it's an old shtick. Find something more productive to do.

DM's TS% is 54%... so is 55% so much better when you figure he never attempts a shot outside of 10 feet. Likely doesn't get passed the ball with 3 seconds on the shot clock and have to force a shot.

He has a lot of shooters around him... if he didn't it could get ugly for him. There are ways to argue BS is better than DM... TS% may be one of the worst.

Bad. Troll. Job.

If Simmons wins, Mitchell will be comfortable with it knowing that he has a strong case too for being considered for it.

If Mitchell wins, Simmons and fans will go bananas, while Mitchell enjoys his status in style.

If it’s a split, Mitchell will act nice and happy while Simmons will smile with one side of his lips belitteling the result.

NBA plays safe, it’s Simmons.

NBA’s new commisioner gets uncomfortable with a newbie’s arrogance, it’s Mitchell.

Also, NBA needed an American Rookie hero and Mitchell is the perfect case so they changed the script on him after the break. What an injury of Aaron Gordon can do these days...

There's tons of stats both ways to back either guy up. Simmons is great, but there's literally nobody on a rookie contract right now in the NBA that I would trade Donovan for. That is partially because he fits this team and this organization like a glove. They both have Top-5 player potential, but Donovan doesn't have any major flaws so I think there's a better chance he actually reaches that ceiling. Simmons can't shoot, it's just that simple.

No one in the league can guard Mitchell 1on1. A team full of Ben Simmons’s would suck and need a Donovan Mitchell to win any games.

No one in the league can guard Mitchell 1on1. A team full of Ben Simmons’s would suck and need a Donovan Mitchell to win any games.

A team of Simmons clones would beat a team of Mitchell clones. Very difficult for Mitchell to defend Simmons in the paint, and he won't be able to rebound effectively. Simmons will defend Mitchell just fine

Simmons would win clone rookie team of the year, for sure. But Mitchell is the better player, imo.

A team of Simmons clones would beat a team of Mitchell clones. Very difficult for Mitchell to defend Simmons in the paint, and he won't be able to rebound effectively. Simmons will defend Mitchell just fine

Simmons would win clone rookie team of the year, for sure. But Mitchell is the better player, imo.
Pack the paint and put 1 Mitchell on the other ones shoulder and guard the painted area. Simmons has 2 options; either shoot a jumper or get blocked at the rim.

There's tons of stats both ways to back either guy up. Simmons is great, but there's literally nobody on a rookie contract right now in the NBA that I would trade Donovan for. That is partially because he fits this team and this organization like a glove. They both have Top-5 player potential, but Donovan doesn't have any major flaws so I think there's a better chance he actually reaches that ceiling. Simmons can't shoot, it's just that simple.

Dont know how you interpret these stats, because stats say Simmons is the better player. Simmons is better in every category, except perimeter shooting.

During the regular season, Simmons has more rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, win shares and win shares per 48 minutes than Mitchell. He rates better by virtually every analytical measure – true shooting, real plus minus, box plus minus, value over replacement player and PER, just to name a few.

Last edited:
Simmons has a true shooting percentage of 55%, what is Mitchell's true shooting %?

Not to mention Ben is a better defender, passer and rebounder.

OK. I thought this dude was serious about this for a minute then he posted this. Either he's dumb as a box of rocks or he looking for a reaction. Either way just ignore this stupid thread and it will go away.

Pack the paint and put 1 Mitchell on the other ones shoulder and guard the painted area. Simmons has 2 options; either shoot a jumper or get blocked at the rim.

A 6'3 mitchell trying to block a 7'0 Simmons. Are you serious ?

I do think this is closer than most people think. If DM were our primary ball handler, and had the same weapons Simmons has around him, his assist totals would go up commensurately. But given how depleted our team really has been, and the fact that Simmons had other strong players to lean on while DM was given the keys and told to make something happen...which he did...it is closer than the stats say. Mitchell has not been expected to be the same player Simmons has, he was asked to shoulder the scoring load, and play solid D on the other end of the floor.

In terms of assists, our team is far different in this regard than the 6'ers. We have no real single play-maker, even Rubio's assists are WAY off his career averages, yet our team shares the ball well. It is a team effort, and with players like Ingles, Rubio, Mitchell and even O-Neal, that can all contribute in this area I would never expect his assists to be that high. If he were dominating the ball that much, we would likely be a worse team. Simmons is pretty much the sole play-maker. I would expect his assists, with the weapons at his disposal, to be much higher. Remember, every Stockton needs a Malone and a few other people to get that particular stat. If Simmons were playing along-side a Rubio and even Ingles I would expect his assists to drop. If Mitchell did not have them, I would expect his to go up.

Rebounds I concede, but there is an argument here as well. Mitchell could make some improvement here, but given his role again, I do not expect him to get many rebounds with a Gobert and a Favors on the floor. And he does get some improbably rebounds from time to time. I would hope that a player at 6'10" would get more rebounds than a player at 6'3" (not named Westbrook :)). If not it is likely a result of the 6'10" player underperforming.

In the end, Mitchell is really carrying the team in the one area we needed it, on offense. Mitchell carries this load more than Simmons does, and does so very well. Their final TSA% was not that far off, 56% for Simmons, 54% for Mitchell, but Mitchell took many more shots from all over the court and was the primary focus of every defense they saw after the all-star break. Simmons was known not to be a scorer so opposing teams focused more on Embiid and the other threats, not so much Simmons other than to try to get the ball out of his hands. Mitchell can do real damage with the ball and without, Simmons really needs to be ball-dominant, so Mitchell is the more versatile offensive player. One more way to assess this, who do you want taking that final shot, DM or Simmons? Remember how that worked out for LeBron when he passed on the final shot instead of taking it? He learned his lesson and is far more likely to take the shot now. DM is that guy for us, not so much Simmons.

So their roles are different, their situations are different. The other question is, where would each team be without that player. The 6'ers would be in the playoffs, probably a lower seed but no way they miss it, just too much fire-power there even without Simmons. The Jazz? Very likely a lottery team without DM. I would also balk at the defense argument. I think DM is a strong 2-way player, even beyond steals. Simmons is probably a half a step above DM in that category, but it is not a stratospheric difference.

So if we give the award based on stats alone, Simmons is no doubt the winner. If it is meant to reward the rookie that contributed most to their team, then it is DM.

I disagree, And agree with Hekate! Team Mitchell clone has five defenders in the paint at all times. Team Simmons clones can’t help off of anyone. Team Mitchell clones could also foul every possession and win easily.