What's new

Sounds like the media is starting to come around...

margodydek

I could never understand why for the past year the local media has been having the conversation on which big the Jazz should choose to keep, Millsap or Al. Seemed like they thought that it was inevitable that we'd make one of them our target to keep. Some were even saying that if you can get both at good deals, then you do it. This doesn't make a lot of sense on a lot of levels, but lately it seems like guys (Locke especially) is starting to see that logically both need to go. If you're getting a good deal on someone that's inefficient, what's the point?

Locke at least has done a couple of interviews on 1280 - last night with Spence and Gordon and this morning with DJ - where he said as much. I also listened to Jake and Tony where they talked to Zach Lowe, and both of them believe that neither will be back.

Thing is, if the FO plays their cards right, then they can really come out smelling like roses. They can give the fans what they want: turn the team over to the young guys next season, couple that with preserving their cap space for next summer, then we could be going into the next offseason with a decent lottery pick in a loaded draft, and $ to go after a star in a loaded FA offseason. Thing is, if we were ever going to take a step back, this next season is the time to do it. I have to think Lindsey is too smart a guy not to realize this.

deja vu?

last year same stuff was said

Uh...no it wasn't. It was very clear last year that the Jazz would see what would happen this year with a Jefferson led team and that the Jazz were prepping for this off season (all the one year contracts, save Marvin Williams' contract, which had the chance of being opted out of anyway). It was obvious when even the lockout ended that the Jazz would do this.

It was interesting that Locke has talked to a couple of front office guys from other teams to gauge value for Millsap and Jefferson. They thought Millsap's value was 7-8m and Jefferson 10-11m. Also that the trend will be to shorter contracts for free agents, 2 or 3 years. Millsap might wish he had signed his extension.

This team is going to be so much different next season. I'm excited.
This. Regardless of the final record, next year will be far more enjoyable for me than the season just past.
Unless of course Al, Millsap or Mo come back. That will probably have the opposite effect for me. I have no interest in ever seeing any of those guys wear a Jazz jersey again.

Last edited:
It was interesting that Locke has talked to a couple of front office guys from other teams to gauge value for Millsap and Jefferson. They thought Millsap's value was 7-8m and Jefferson 10-11m. Also that the trend will be to shorter contracts for free agents, 2 or 3 years. Millsap might wish he had signed his extension.
I haven't heard the interviews but that is what I had been saying all season there worth would be because of the new CBA.

Al will get A LOT MORE than 10-11 m. Paul is signing with LA. Howard will sign with LA. Who is the best player after that? An injured Bynum or Al. Al will get north of 15m. He might only be worth 10-11, but he will get a lot more.

Al will get A LOT MORE than 10-11 m. Paul is signing with LA. Howard will sign with LA. Who is the best player after that? An injured Bynum or Al. Al will get north of 15m. He might only be worth 10-11, but he will get a lot more.

How is Millsap going to sign in LA? Jefferson will not get paid more than he did this season, guaranteed. Dude is such a liability on defense this late in his career, it's not gonna change and teams know that.

How is Millsap going to sign in LA? Jefferson will not get paid more than he did this season, guaranteed. Dude is such a liability on defense this late in his career, it's not gonna change and teams know that.

1 - Chris Paul will stay in LA.

2 - Al is 28. He is in his prime. There isn't an offensive player at his level available. He is a guaranteed 18 and 10 every night and he doesn't get hurt. He will get paid.

3 - Al isn't a good fit for Utah because Utah has two potentially better players. What a about a team like Charlotte. With Kemba and MKG, adding Al would double their wins next year. You don't think 15 million is worth that? Al is a very, very good player, just not a good fit for Utah.

1 - Chris Paul will stay in LA.

2 - Al is 28. He is in his prime. There isn't an offensive player at his level available. He is a guaranteed 18 and 10 every night and he doesn't get hurt. He will get paid.

3 - Al isn't a good fit for Utah because Utah has two potentially better players. What a about a team like Charlotte. With Kemba and MKG, adding Al would double their wins next year. You don't think 15 million is worth that? Al is a very, very good player, just not a good fit for Utah.

oh I was thinking Millsap when u said Paul, my bad

but nah, the biggest contract Jefferson will get in his career is the one that just ended. Dude ain't getting 15 mil/yr

Uh...no it wasn't. It was very clear last year that the Jazz would see what would happen this year with a Jefferson led team and that the Jazz were prepping for this off season (all the one year contracts, save Marvin Williams' contract, which had the chance of being opted out of anyway). It was obvious when even the lockout ended that the Jazz would do this.

YES IT WAS. and no it was not clear. dont rewrite history you douche.

a lot of people said this:
This team is going to be so much different next season. I'm excited.

hopes where high with the signing of foye and marvin and mo(3 point shooting.
people where saying the exact same stuff.