What's new

Sportando: Utah Jazz eyeing Nemanja Bjelica

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner

Thoughts?

https://sportando.basketball/en/usa/nba/276695/utah-jazz-phoenix-suns-eyeing-nemanja-bjelica.html
Utah Jazz, Phoenix Suns eyeing Nemanja Bjelica
The forward will be a RFA this summer

Serbian forward Nemanja Bjelica, who'll be a RFA this summer, is expected to draw some interest during the free agency. Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns are among the team that could show interest in the forward, a source told Sportando. Bjelica averaged 6.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game during the last regular season, shooting 41% from the three-point line. Bjelica also made his debut in the NBA playoffs, averaging 4.6 points in 5 games, shooting with 51% from three-point.

During the recent Euroleague Final Four in Belgrade, Bjelica spent some time with Jazz rookie Donovan Mitchell, endorsing him as The Rookie of The Year with a post on Instagram. Under that post, former Timberwolves Ricky Rubio commented in this way: 'Teammate next year?"

Jazz are expected to have only a few million available under the cap and they'll have to deal also with Dante Exum restricted free agency, while the Suns will have more cap space available, so they can potentially make a more intriguing offer to Bjelica, financially speaking.

If the Timberwolves will extend the qualifying offer to Bjelica, they'll have the right to match any offer the player should receive during the summer. Minnesota is already over the cap.

Yes, but dont we need cap space to make an offer? If Favors leaves and the Jazz dont pick up thd rights to the non-guaranteed guys, then it's worth an offer. I'd try to keep Udoh, though.

Jazz are really vulnerable at the 5 without Favors. Who starts when Gobert misses games?

Yes, but dont we need cap space to make an offer? If Favors leaves and the Jazz dont pick up thd rights to the non-guaranteed guys, then it's worth an offer. I'd try to keep Udoh, though.

Jazz are really vulnerable at the 5 without Favors. Who starts when Gobert misses games?
mle

Thanks, I thought maybe you had to clear cap space to make an offer. So I wonder if Minnesota would match an offer at the MLE. Would Utah go that high?

Thanks, I thought maybe you had to clear cap space to make an offer. So I wonder if Minnesota would match an offer at the MLE. Would Utah go that high?

If memory serves, they're about to go into cap hell. I think they're about 110 committed already. A full MLE might be too much to do.

Edit: That doesn't take into account any extension for KAT. Yeah, they'd probably have to let him walk.

Last edited:
Sign Bjelika. If Favors returns, then release Jerebko. If Favors leaves, target Harris or another 4 at the deadline.

Draft Huerter as the eventual replacement for Ingles.

I think Bjelica would be a really nice fit. I also think his playing time and production would go up in our lineup that lacks a real stretch big (unlike Minny).

However, losing Favors and bringing in Bjelica as his "replacement" would scare me. I'd be much more comfortable retaining Favors as the starter, and playing all 3 bigs in 26-32 minutes a night range (including Crowder). Rudy seems to miss 10-12 games a year with minor injuries, and it's huge to have D Favs as a "backup C" in those scenarios.

Sign Bjelika. If Favors returns, then release Jerebko. If Favors leaves, target Harris or another 4 at the deadline.

Draft Huerter as the eventual replacement for Ingles.

I like what you are thinking. I would just add:
Sign Bjelica
If Favors returns, then release Jerekbo AND Udoh since Favors becomes our primary backup C.
If Favors leaves, keep Jerekbo and Udoh and target Harris or another 4 in the offseason.
Draft BPA

Tax is around $120, right? KAT extension doesnt kick in for a couple more years. So not a concern. After next year some salaries come off the books for Minnesota. But I agree, years 3 and 4 of an MLE deal could hurt.

In many ways this is like Memo. KOC had to pay a role player enough so that Detroit wouldnt match. And, of course, Portland offered Matthews a deal that would have put Utah in the tax. I think it takes the MLE for Minnesota not to match. And i think it's worth it.

Last edited:
I like what you are thinking. I would just add:
Sign Bjelica
If Favors returns, then release Jerekbo AND Udoh since Favors becomes our primary backup C.
If Favors leaves, keep Jerekbo and Udoh and target Harris or another 4 in the offseason.
Draft BPA

Not terrible ideas but none of these guys are true playmakers.

Okobo should be our first target imo. After that, I’d say Huerter or
Brown I think.

By the way, my gut tells me he’s definitely signing here. It makes so much sense. Team need. Our MO. The Rubio connection. Mitchell seeing him a couple weeks ago.

Tax is around $120, right? KAT extension doesnt kick in for a couple more years. So not a concern. After next year some salaries come off the books for Minnesota. But I agree, years 3 and 4 of an MLE deal could hurt.

In many ways this is like Memo. KOC had to pay a role player enough so that Detroit wouldnt match. And, of course, Portland offered Matthews a deal that would have put Utah in the tax. I think it takes the MLE for Minnesota not to match. And i think it's worth it.
Case-in-point: Portland used their full MLE to sign Matthews to an offer sheet.