What's new

Start Keyonte George

Looking at the numbers today... we are only a few games away from this happening if this garbage continues. It will be too overwhelming to ignore.

I got a fever… and the only cure is more Keyonte!

I liked Keyonte's active defense against Murray whenever they were matched up. He didnt let him pass off the dribble and influenced some of the midrange shots that Murray resorted to. I cant remember any easy looks that Murray got going against Key.

Offensively I think Key got hurt by limited touches more than anything. THT and Sexton were both playing better than we have seen thus far this season, which also sort of reduced Key's role.

What I cannot figure out is how Clarkson ended up getting 33 minutes in that game. He wasnt feeling it at any point and looked more disruptive than useful to me. At least Dunn got his minutes reduced which is a starting point to clearing up the rotation.

Last edited:
ngl Keyonte was really bad last night, but it’s nice to see that he’s moving on up.
He had one really bad sequence but was fine overall… couple shots rimmed out… shrug.

He had one really bad sequence but was fine overall… couple shots rimmed out… shrug.

Eh, if he was not Keyonte and one of the other guards we would be crucifying him. He just didn’t do much overall, so the bad stretch really stands out. The other way to put this is he had a good first minute and did almost nothing with the rest of his minutes.

He didn’t play well, fair is fair.

Murray only took 3 shots when Keyonte was his primary defender which totaled to about 10 possessions. All those shots came from midrange and he had to resort twice to turnaround fadeaways while one was a pull up where he got two screens from Jokic (Key beat the first one and second one was pretty much illegal).

Here are pictures of the contests Key was able to get on his shots that also show the time/score so you can check the clips.

Iso play where Key closed his lanes well and stayed in position to contest. Murray took a turnaround fadeaway.
1698763596581.png

Keyonte fought through 2 Jokic screens. First one he beat easily and in the 2nd Jokic threw in some hip action which caused Key to trip but he almost recovered in time to contest Murrays pull-up.
1698763683051.png

This is the shot Murray made. Tried to back Key up but didnt gain enough leverage so he took a turnaround fadeaway from FT line that Keyonte was almost able to block.
1698763790795.png

Eh, if he was not Keyonte and one of the other guards we would be crucifying him. He just didn’t do much overall, so the bad stretch really stands out. The other way to put this is he had a good first minute and did almost nothing with the rest of his minutes.

He didn’t play well, fair is fair.
I think “really bad” is a bit of an overstatement but the bar for our guard play is so low so my measuring stick is different. When you only shoot 6 shots one rimming out is the difference between good and not good. He actually played good defense but the sequence he had was one of those Dante Exum catastrophic sequences. He also has a habit of jumping while at mid court in transition defense and does so seemingly for no reason. He needs to cut that **** out. Overall I still think he’s playing well within himself which is a lesson our vet guards could learn.

He certainly wasn’t good.

He was mostly bad last night. Still want him to be the starter and get the most minutes of our pg's. I think he is already better than the rest and im a sexton stan who was reluctant to get on the keyonte hype train. He looks smart and always seems to know what he is doing. he is decisive. He has a quick release and good form. He plays defense quite well.

I think “really bad” is a bit of an overstatement but the bar for our guard play is so low so my measuring stick is different. When you only shoot 6 shots one rimming out is the difference between good and not good. He actually played good defense but the sequence he had was one of those Dante Exum catastrophic sequences. He also has a habit of jumping while at mid court in transition defense and does so seemingly for no reason. He needs to cut that **** out. Overall I still think he’s playing well within himself which is a lesson our vet guards could learn.

He certainly wasn’t good.
I think that last game he jumped because Murray was looking downfield for Gordon (where he eventually did pass the ball). Keyonte was probably reading his eyes and anticipating a pass. However I do agree he should not do stuff like that if he is the primary defender.

I think that last game he jumped because Murray was looking downfield for Gordon (where he eventually did pass the ball). Keyonte was probably reading his eyes and anticipating a pass. However I do agree he should not do stuff like that if he is the primary defender.
He's done this twice in transition and in the bad sequence he chased an offensive rebound from the top that was just not gonna work... and it lead to a layup. He will learn. You cannot crash from the top of a key as a guard... its a layup the other way.

I don't really care if he starts or comes off the bench at this point as long as he gets consistent minutes. He didn't play well last night and he will have a bunch more games like that so hopefully if he goes on an extended bad stretch he will be allowed to play through it.

I don't really care if he starts or comes off the bench at this point as long as he gets consistent minutes. He didn't play well last night and he will have a bunch more games like that so hopefully if he goes on an extended bad stretch he will be allowed to play through it.
I'm cool with him playing through the type of mistakes he had last night. Lord knows we are letting THT, JC, Sexton, Dunn do it.

Hopefully the ****** start we seem to be off to expedites the Keyonte Era and we move on cuz man its hard to watch these guards right now.

This. It was a calculated gamble and reaction

THT and Sexton played pretty well in the second half, but if it was Keyonte playing well I think he would have gotten the close. I agree that it doesn't really matter if he starts as long as he's getting ample opportunity.

I don't give a **** about THT, Sexton, Dunn or even Clarkson making a few good plays now and then. The big picture is what matters, and the big picture is that none of these guys should be playing the point for this team (or any major on-ball role for that matter).

The "Wait a minute... THT played pretty well for a quarter, MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING THERE AFTER ALL!" narrative from the last game is making my head hurt. I mean... just stop. It's not that easy to redeeem yourself when you've sucked for god knows how long now.

Start George, now. He's gonna make rookie mistakes, but I'd much rather watch rookie mistakes than THT's vet blunders.