What's new

Starting Lineup Now?

jjscap

Utah has added Boj and Ed Davis and lost Favors.
MCJ, DM and Gobert are locks obviously. Who will claim the other two starting spots?

To me it's unlikely Ingles and Boj will both start due to the potential rebounding and athleticism/quickness issues. Ingles should be Utah's Ginobili coming off the bench and Boj should start. Not sure who is the fifth starter though.

Last edited:
According to Tony Jones

Gobert at C
Bojan at SF
Donovan at SG
Conley at PG
Joe at 6th Man
Ed expected to play mostly C but can play PF

Which all makes logical sense to me. Starting PF still up in the air I guess. I'm not worried about it tho. They have options available both on the current roster and on the FA/trade markets.

I needed to put this somewhere for sanity sake. Is this our current roster after the melee of free agency day 1?

PG Conley, Exum, Neto
SG Mitchell
SF Bojan, Ingles
PF Royce, Niang
C Gobert, Davis, Bradley

Am I missing anybody? That's 11 guys. I really hope we have a chance to keep at least 2 of the guys we drafted. Maybe also keep one more "Royce" or "Niang" undrafted summer league type guy.

So really, we should be focused on one more solid, known, free agent signing. Gonna have to be a minimum guy.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

According to Tony Jones

Gobert at C
Bojan at SF
Donovan at SG
Conley at PG
Joe at 6th Man
Ed expected to play mostly C but can play PF

Which all makes logical sense to me. Starting PF still up in the air I guess. I'm not worried about it tho. They have options available both on the current roster and on the FA/trade markets.
Competition brings out the best in most players. Look at the whole Donovan Mitchell vs. Rodney Hood situation. Hood was expected to just walk into Hayward’s “lead scorer” role and he wilted under the pressure, while Donovan thrived.

Jazz have Jingles, O’Neale, Davis, Niang and Brantley who should all be competing for minutes at the 4. Add one more guy through FA or trade and let the competition sort things out. I’m confident that someone in that group will step up.

I have so far been totally underwhelmed by Bradley. Is he better than Willie Reed? Are there better options out there to sign? Should we trade him? Ekpe is certainly better.

I needed to put this somewhere for sanity sake. Is this our current roster after the melee of free agency day 1?

PG Conley, Exum, Neto
SG Mitchell
SF Bojan, Ingles
PF Royce, Niang
C Gobert, Davis, Bradley

Am I missing anybody? That's 11 guys. I really hope we have a chance to keep at least 2 of the guys we drafted. Maybe also keep one more "Royce" or "Niang" undrafted summer league type guy.

So really, we should be focused on one more solid, known, free agent signing. Gonna have to be a minimum guy.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

If we hit on 2 of the 3 draft picks, that would be insane. I would be ecstatic if one of the three became a rotation player for us.

With 4 roster spots left, I’d guess there would be more than one minimum vet signing left, but I’d be thrilled if we hit on our picks and only had to sign one more.

More likely, 2 of the 3 end up on two-way contracts or on the Stars and one gets a roster spot and guaranteed contract.

If I'm Jarrell Brantley I'd be living in the gym right now.

The door is wide frickin open for him.
I don’t disagree.....

But there’s basically a 1% chance he can become a guy that’ll help the starting unit this year, despite his best efforts

ROYCE

I’m pretty excited about Bogie. I’ve been wondering about how he fits as a replacement for favors at the 4 and I haven’t been able to make sense of it in my head. When I started to think about Bogie as a replacement for Crowder at the 4 it seemed like such a huge upgrade and he makes a lot of sense. The jazz now have two righties and two lefties that can spot up from comfortable positions all over the floor, they all can run the pnr with efficiency, come off screens, and defend, holy smokes!!!

Here is a great article I found about what he can bring- https://www.kokomotribune.com/sport...cle_6126e834-45f8-11e9-9749-e3e575e9d878.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Competition brings out the best in most players. Look at the whole Donovan Mitchell vs. Rodney Hood situation. Hood was expected to just walk into Hayward’s “lead scorer” role and he wilted under the pressure, while Donovan thrived.

Jazz have Jingles, O’Neale, Davis, Niang and Brantley who should all be competing for minutes at the 4. Add one more guy through FA or trade and let the competition sort things out. I’m confident that someone in that group will step up.

Yep. Plus we don't even HAVE to have the same starter every game. It could be dependant on matchup. All of those guys bring different skill sets and strengths

It’s always best to have a guy that you KNOW should be in the starting lineup and you can adjust your rotation accordingly for each game.

I’m still hopeful that the Jazz have a magic trick up their sleeve to pull off one more big move for a starting caliber PF.

Again, the key should be looking for undervalued guys who can contribute in the playoffs. Get as much talent as you can into the building, and sort out the details later. Somebody will rise to the occasion.

I like this dude's chances to make the team. But are you saying he may be the new starting PF?
He’s not a likely candidate. Still hoping for one more power move by the Jazz (preferably involving a trade with Exum’s $9.6 million salary.)

I like this dude's chances to make the team. But are you saying he may be the new starting PF?

I'm saying a few things:

- Royce at the 4 isn't necessarily optimal in all cases - there are plenty of 1's, 2's and 3's out there for him to guard.
- barring trades, Jazz won't be able to significantly upgrade at the 4.
- While I really like Niang and think he'll be a legit offensive force coming off the bench, he doesn't really fit "The Jazz mold" on defense. Poor footwork, not a guy who goes and runs down rebounds. I'm not advocating it; but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved.

I have absolutely zero expectation of Brantley being a NBA starter coming out of the gate - but there are A LOT of minutes to be had at the 4. He can start on the road to claiming them tonight.

Last edited:
Still a hole at the 4. Otherwise looking scary.

I think the genius of handing things to a new GM was that he doesn't have any baggage. He has no sacred cows (like DedEx) to be overly emotionally attached to. So he can make the necessary moves. Working out so far.

I'm saying a few things:

- Royce at the 4 isn't necessarily optimal in all cases - there are plenty of 1's, 2's and 3's out there for him to guard.
- barring trades, Jazz won't be able to significantly upgrade at the 4.
- While I really like Niang and think he'll be a legit offensive force coming off the bench, he doesn't really fit "The Jazz mold" on defense. Poor footwork, not a guy who goes and runs down rebounds. I'm not advocating it; but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved.

I have absolutely zero expectation of Brantley being a NBA starter coming out of the gate - but there are A LOT of minutes to be had at the 4. He can start on the road to claiming them tonight.

Stanton Kidd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk