What's new

State of the Jazz

Craig K. Manscill

Right now, we have a real crisis. It's either up and down, and frankly, it seems like we're going down. Nothing seems right about CJ Miles clanking up a brick and on the other side of the court, our undersized bigmen getting penetrated inside. And what can be done?

1. Trade Paul Millsap
Millsap is a great asset, but he's too short and stubby for the long haul. His development arch is going to be very reminiscient of Jason Maxiell's: as he loses athleticism and mobility, his height will become more and more glaring. Trade him for cash and considerations.

2. Draft solid players
We just need to pick up some players who can shoot the ball and get a few rebounds here and there. Jimmer can't do that. Yes he's mormon, and I'd love to have a player of my religion on my team so I can be like, "Oh man, people must be thinking about my religion" whenever he scores, he's going to SUCK flippin hard at the next level.

3. Get rid of Corbin
Corbin looks like he hasn't seen a blue moon in a firefly's nest. What I mean by that is, he's too nervous, too timid, too personable, too normal. He's average. The team will duplicate the coach and be average.

4. Get rid of Devin Harris
He's a good guy, I like his style, but he needs to learn one thing: patience. The guy just runs up and down like a freight train, but except he doesn't really know what he's doing once he get's there. Some things are better left unspoken, and this is one thing that I don't think is.

5. Start Hayward and Favors
They need to learn what it's like being up front and center, in the limelight. Take away their bottles and knapsacks and give them their hardhats: get to work boys. I can see numbers like 12/7 and 14/5 respectively, and hopefully those numbers add up to a winning sum.

- Craig

Jason Maxiell? -- he never was nearly as good as Millsap is now. I also question number 2 and 3, though I wouldn't say nearly as strongly as the remark about Millsap. Number 4 and 5, agree. Harris is a good player but not a good distributor.

Right now, we have a real crisis. It's either up and down, and frankly, it seems like we're going down. Nothing seems right about CJ Miles clanking up a brick and on the other side of the court, our undersized bigmen getting penetrated inside. And what can be done?

1. Trade Paul Millsap
Millsap is a great asset, but he's too short and stubby for the long haul. His development arch is going to be very reminiscient of Jason Maxiell's: as he loses athleticism and mobility, his height will become more and more glaring. Trade him for cash and considerations.

2. Draft solid players
We just need to pick up some players who can shoot the ball and get a few rebounds here and there. Jimmer can't do that. Yes he's mormon, and I'd love to have a player of my religion on my team so I can be like, "Oh man, people must be thinking about my religion" whenever he scores, he's going to SUCK flippin hard at the next level.

3. Get rid of Corbin
Corbin looks like he hasn't seen a blue moon in a firefly's nest. What I mean by that is, he's too nervous, too timid, too personable, too normal. He's average. The team will duplicate the coach and be average.

He's a good guy, I like his style, but he needs to learn one thing: patience. The guy just runs up and down like a freight train, but except he doesn't really know what he's doing once he get's there. Some things are better left unspoken, and this is one thing that I don't think is.

They need to learn what it's like being up front and center, in the limelight. Take away their bottles and knapsacks and give them their hardhats: get to work boys. I can see numbers like 12/7 and 14/5 respectively, and hopefully those numbers add up to a winning sum.

- Craig

The only things on your list I agree with are 2 and 5.

This is only a crises if you panic as you are suggesting. A more optimistic view is it is a rebuild, and with the pieces on place, the foundation is there to become competitive gain pretty quickly, and very good in a couple of years.

Corbin, Millsap and Harris are not the problem, and getting rid of them would push the time it takes to become competitive back significantly.

Getting rid of CJ, Bell, Price, Fes, Memo, Elson, AK (unless he can be kept really cheap) are good and necessary moves, but the other guys are part of a good young core.

This team is closer to being good than you seem to think.

I only agree with 5. Holy cow, people with trading Millsap or Jefferson just drive me nutz. Millsap has been pretty good this year but let Favors start and put Millsap on the bench. Let him be the Lamar Odom of this team. Trade Millsap for cash and considerations, WTF? Trading Millsap would get a pretty good package in return and a lot of teams wanted him at the deadline

As for Harris, he is a very solid PG too. The Jazz play much better with him. Only way I'd give him up is if we drafted Irving

I know that everyone wants to blow up the team, but the state of the Jazz is actually pretty positive going into next season. Milsap and Jefferson are entering their prime, they have three rookies who have developed well, and they have two lottery picks this year and two first round picks the year after. I think Corbin will be fine and Jazz fans are just going to have to be patient during this rebuilding process.

i agree about devin harris, becuz his salary is too high and he isnt a guy who can help us win important games, and his defense is awful. I would draft a pg and put watson, kyle weaver as backup next year so the rookie will improve himself more quickly

Yes he's mormon, and I'd love to have a player of my religion on my team so I can be like, "Oh man, people must be thinking about my religion" whenever he scores, he's going to SUCK flippin hard at the next level

Whoa whoa whoa whoa....wait a minute. You are Mormon?

Yes trade Millsap's great contract for cash....:eek: This is what Sloan meant when he said if we listen to the fans we end up sitting with them.

Craig, I'm with you on #2, but #5 is "iffy" at this point; wait until next season to decide who starts, as there are too many unknowns 'til then.
#1 - Millsap has great heart, which is something many NBA players lack. He continues to do what many thought he couldn't, myself included. Ty simply needs to figure out how to use him in matchups, which Jerry never did. Starting at PF every game is obviously NOT a good idea as he is horribly mismatched in many situations. Let him get his starts at either PF or SF, depending on matchups, and bring him off the bench when that is appropriate. A smart coach stays aware of what the matchups are during the course of the game.
#3 - Corbin deserves a little more patience, IMO. Give him at least a full year to get the Jazz ship righted...
#4 - Devin Harris is a quality PG by NBA standards. He's no Deron Williams, but adding Favors made this trade a no-brainer. Again, give Harris a year to learn the Jazz playbook and players. And oh, Harris has a bunch of young and new Jazz-men around him on the floor, so there will be mistakes and miscommunications 'til they all get some games TOGETHER under their belt.
NOTE - We will likely see 2 new guys on the roster next season unless we trade away those 2 first round picks. That'll be 5 guys on our 12 man roster with a year or less NBA experience. PATIENCE, young skywalkers...

I know that everyone wants to blow up the team, but the state of the Jazz is actually pretty positive going into next season. Milsap and Jefferson are entering their prime, they have three rookies who have developed well, and they have two lottery picks this year and two first round picks the year after. I think Corbin will be fine and Jazz fans are just going to have to be patient during this rebuilding process.

Winner winner, Popeye's chicken dinner.
Agreed

I only agree with 5. Holy cow, people with trading Millsap or Jefferson just drive me nutz. Millsap has been pretty good this year but let Favors start and put Millsap on the bench. Let him be the Lamar Odom of this team. Trade Millsap for cash and considerations, WTF? Trading Millsap would get a pretty good package in return and a lot of teams wanted him at the deadline

As for Harris, he is a very solid PG too. The Jazz play much better with him. Only way I'd give him up is if we drafted Irving

I agree re: Millsap. He was absolutely dominant against backup PF's and a solid short-term starter behind Boozer. Let him resume that role. He'll still get 30 mins. Favors is a tougher defender and can get points cleaning up Jefferson's misses. Have Favors start and Millsap can be the veteran leader of the 2nd unit.

We're stuck with Corbin, so might as well accept it. Personally, I don't want minor tweaks in Sloan's system. Harris ain't Stockton and Jefferson ain't Malone. And Hayward sure as hell isn't Bobby Hansen, Giricek or CJ Miles. Jazz need a fresh approach. They need some new offensive sets and an overhaul of their defense. Corbin isn't going to bring a new approach or fresh ideas.

As for Harris...meh. He's a short-term solution. Two more years and done. He'll either be dealt when his contract is in the last season, or the Jazz will start developing a young PG to take his place. Outside of Irving, there's no one in this draft, but the JAzz could use the GS pick next season for a PG.

We're stuck with Corbin, so might as well accept it. Personally, I don't want minor tweaks in Sloan's system. Harris ain't Stockton and Jefferson ain't Malone. And Hayward sure as hell isn't Bobby Hansen, Giricek or CJ Miles. Jazz need a fresh approach. They need some new offensive sets and an overhaul of their defense. Corbin isn't going to bring a new approach or fresh ideas.

how aboutt aking the chicago jazz approach. dont practice offensive sets.
only defensive sets this summer

m0EZp.gif

1. Trade Paul Millsap

2. Draft solid players

3. Get rid of Corbin
Agree, but won't happen for 2 more years. He at least needs to put in a new offense.

Agree. I do not like his play actually. He is way out of control and not good at making sure EVERYONE gets involved.

Wow, that's a lot. I am a HUGE Hayward fan, but objectively speaking, I feel he has earned the right to be a *regular* bench player, getting a solid 20 minutes a night. I feel the same for Favors.
If we do start them both, that is even more of a sign we need to trade our upcoming picks for proven players. If we start them then stick to it all year and call it a rebuilding year.
They will have may ups/downs.
I like Hayward/Favors and Evans. If we commit to 3 of them, that is way more than enough youth for me.