What's new

State of the Point Guard position

TheGobertReport

I think the Jazz should select at least one if not TWO point guards during this draft, that is assuming the Jazz keep all four picks. Unless Hill takes 10 million or less PER YEAR, there's no way he should be on the Jazz. I am sure Jazz fans are split 50/50 on Exum's future in terms of "very good/all-star caliber starter" potential or "time to move on to someone else as PG of the future". But he should stay in the mix regardless. Neto and Mack are both fringe rotation guys, and probably 3rd string PG's on a championship contender at best ---- Mack isn't NBA caliber in my opinion.

SO

For all the jokes everyone made about the Jazz having too many point guards last offseason, the real joke was we barely had one. I do like Marcus Paige as an eventual backup/borderline starter down the line in the NBA and I don't know if the Jazz still own his rights but maybe he thrusts himself into the picture during the Summer League or Training camp. Even so, he won't be an impact guy for at least another year or two.

I created this thread (link) when Hill sat out a crucial game at end of regular season in terms of trying to secure home court against the Clippers. We all saw what he was made of by sitting out of the Golden State series. This whole thread is moot if he agrees to re-sign with Utah for 10 million or less, but all reports say he's going to ask for 20 million. If someone wants to give that to him, God Bless them.

Assuming Hill bolts for a lot of money, WHAT DOES EVERYONE HERE WANT IDEALLY THIS OFFSEASON? Draft (either via Jazz picks or a trade up into the lotto to take one a la Burke just hopefully a better outcome this time around), Free Agency, or put all the eggs in Dante's basket and let him be the starter?

Free agency to get proven PG is the way to go if we can't get decent deal with Hill.

Why the Mack hate? I'm thankful for guy he has some decent offense, I remember coming to these forums a long time ago and not totally understanding the Devin Harris hate or for Mo Williams. Jazz fanz would be hating on IT. Very high standards Stockton left I suppose...

Yea we def grabbing a PG tho, if we go small I want Mason, or length derrick white but they better prepare to be hated on here!

Mack isn't NBA caliber in my opinion. [/B]

Mack isn't an NBA caliber starter, but that doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play in the NBA. Sure, he has weaknesses and sometimes I have been frustrated with his play; however, he has had his moments and even won some games last year. There's no doubt he's NBA caliber.

I think the Jazz should select at least one if not TWO point guards during this draft, that is assuming the Jazz keep all four picks. Unless Hill takes 10 million or less PER YEAR, there's no way he should be on the Jazz. I am sure Jazz fans are split 50/50 on Exum's future in terms of "very good/all-star caliber starter" potential or "time to move on to someone else as PG of the future". But he should stay in the mix regardless. Neto and Mack are both fringe rotation guys, and probably 3rd string PG's on a championship contender at best ---- Mack isn't NBA caliber in my opinion.

SO

For all the jokes everyone made about the Jazz having too many point guards last offseason, the real joke was we barely had one. I do like Marcus Paige as an eventual backup/borderline starter down the line in the NBA and I don't know if the Jazz still own his rights but maybe he thrusts himself into the picture during the Summer League or Training camp. Even so, he won't be an impact guy for at least another year or two.

I created this thread (link) when Hill sat out a crucial game at end of regular season in terms of trying to secure home court against the Clippers. We all saw what he was made of by sitting out of the Golden State series. This whole thread is moot if he agrees to re-sign with Utah for 10 million or less, but all reports say he's going to ask for 20 million. If someone wants to give that to him, God Bless them.

Assuming Hill bolts for a lot of money, WHAT DOES EVERYONE HERE WANT IDEALLY THIS OFFSEASON? Draft (either via Jazz picks or a trade up into the lotto to take one a la Burke just hopefully a better outcome this time around), Free Agency, or put all the eggs in Dante's basket and let him be the starter?

Injuries are part of sports. If you're gonna hate on a guy because of them maybe reality TV would offer up better entertainment value for you.
Hill was amazing here just had unfortunate timing on the injuries. They were not the type you can play through either without risking permanent damage.

The draft will offer 0 help to our team next year or really for a couple years. Those players do not help you win and our not our solution at the PG for next year. The Jazz need a solid PG and that is coming from Hill, another FA veteran, a trade for a vet PG or possibly an improved Exum although I doubt the Jazz would rely on Exum taking a leap. They need Hill (only player his caliber we can afford in FA) or someone a step below that can fill in at starter to keep pushing Exum or in case he struggles next year at any point next year which is pretty likely.

Hill at a somewhat reasonable deal and hope he is healthy is probably our best bet.

Next best option is finding a good trade.

If it comes to a FA outside of our own that we can go over the cap for I think Rondo would be interesting but probably too expensive, although a good fit especially if he can keep shooting well from 3 or keep improving his 3 point shooting. Patty Mills might be left out if Spurs go hard after CP3 or even our Hill. He might be the best option depending on price. Collison might be a realistic option that would provide solid play and might not cost too much. Milos is an intriguing option but that is a risky move to rely on him and Exum to run the point but I think I would be okay with that risk. Partially because I think Exum can start next year for us. Other than that the FA options are pretty weak.

Im just wondering... it has to be a touchy subject resigning Hill when he reportedly turned down large money from us..he's held out for more and was the. perpetually hurt. So much so he didnt even guard the opposing teams PG at times. We probably wont even offer him that same dollar amount and then u know Hill will be offended. If we loose hill, mack that leaves us with some rookie, Neto, and an Exum. If Exum doesnt pan out at PG we have to.bring in another veteran... Deron Williams? I greatly dislike him on Sloan's behalf but if that chump wants to play for the league minimum ok �� I say we got the lazt laugh

Forgive tablet touchscreen grammar

Im just wondering... it has to be a touchy subject resigning Hill when he reportedly turned down large money from us..he's held out for more and was the. perpetually hurt. So much so he didnt even guard the opposing teams PG at times. We probably wont even offer him that same dollar amount and then u know Hill we be offended. If we loose hill, mack that leaves us with some rookie, Neto, and an Exum. If Exum doesnt pan out at PG we have to.bring in another veteran... Deron Williams? I greatly dislike him on Sloan's behalf but if that chump wants to play for the league minimum ok �� I say we got the lazt laugh

Why would Hill be offended? The Jazz gave him an offer and turned it down because he thought he could get more. He took a business risk, he knew what he was doing. I doubt there will be any hurt feelings.

It will be a pride check turning down a deal then crawling back to it for less $$$

If Hill wants too much then I would turn the team over to Exum. He's entering his RFA year. It's time to see what we have with him. This draft isn't the best at PG. Most of the good ones will be gone before we make our first pick. And I don't see anyone available in free agency or on the trade block I would be dying to pick up. I say give Exum the job, sign a solid veteran to back him up, keep Neto as a solid 3rd and maybe draft one you think can develop. If Hill leaves.

Are the Jazz going to be the tortoise in the NBA ...as all other teams adjust to the speed of the NBA powerhouses,do the Jazz want a PG to walk the ball upcourt and milk the clock down to last 3/5 seconds to keep the scores in the 80's and 90's.

Who believes this is going to win games against the elite?

Jazz have a racehorse tied up to Clydesdale wagon and having to adjust his game accordingly.It can be said Exum is in the wrong system and would thrive where his speed is coveted on defense and offense.
So are the Jazz going to continue to be the slowdown team in the NBA or are they going to up the offense when they lose Hayward and Hill.

You hand over the keys to Exum and rev up the offense.Time is right if no Hayward and Hill.

Are the Jazz going to be the tortoise in the NBA ...as all other teams adjust to the speed of the NBA powerhouses,do the Jazz want a PG to walk the ball upcourt and milk the clock down to last 3/5 seconds to keep the scores in the 80's and 90's.

Jazz have a racehorse tied up to Clydesdale wagon and having to adjust his game accordingly.It can be said Exum is in the wrong system and would thrive where his speed is coveted on defense and offense.
So are the Jazz going to continue to be the slowdown team in the NBA or are they going to up the offense when they lose Hayward and Hill.

You hand over the keys to Exum and rev up the offense.Time is right if no Hayward and Hill.
Jazz move more during a game than most teams in the NBA. They also move at faster speeds. Just because the run more half court sets doesn't mean they are not moving a lot and utilizing their quickness and high altitude. I do wish they would run a little more when they have an advantage. When Exum and Burk's played together they did run more often.

Jazz move more during a game than most teams in the NBA. They also move at faster speeds. Just because the run more half court sets doesn't mean they are not moving a lot and utilizing their quickness and high altitude. I do wish they would run a little more when they have an advantage. When Exum and Burk's played together they did run more often.

Exum and Burks running together showed alot of potential and wetted my appetite for more....Hood is 24,Gobert most athletic Center at 24,Lyles a triple threat,Ingles smart enough to play any style.They should be fastbreaking AND since they have been playing same offense for 3 years under Snyder swing back to milking the clock.Both fast breaking and halfcourt can be utilized .It's attack basketball.

Efficiency is more important than pace. The Warriors for example don't win because they play fast. They win because they are incredibly efficient. In 14-15 when they won their first championship with their current core they were 2nd in offensive rating and 1st in defensive rating. In 15-16 when they won 73 games they were 1st in offensive rating and 5th in defensive rating. This year they were 1st in offensive rating and 2nd in defensive rating. Their pace only helps because it suits their players. The Brooklyn Nets were 1st in the NBA this year in pace but playing faster didn't help them succeed. The Jazz don't need to play faster. A slow pace suits Rudy and our players. We just need to be a little more efficient at our pace.

Why the Mack hate? I'm thankful for guy he has some decent offense, I remember coming to these forums a long time ago and not totally understanding the Devin Harris hate or for Mo Williams. Jazz fanz would be hating on IT. Very high standards Stockton left I suppose...

Yea we def grabbing a PG tho, if we go small I want Mason, or length derrick white but they better prepare to be hated on here!

Mack is an inefficient offensive player who shoots too often, and plays terrible defense. He also often played at the expense of a high lottery pick. That's why people hate him (speaking in a basketball sense only, I'm sure he is a nice dude).

There is no way the Jazz should draft a PG. They already have a developmental guy in Exum, and a third guy in Neto who has shown he can play spot minutes just fine if injuries occur. They need a veteran who can either start, or be a security blanket for Exum.

We need to draft wings. Those are the hardest to get in free agency. Hopefully #24 or #30 can become a good one for us. Hopefully.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app