What's new

Still A Harsh Reality... Players not wanting to play in Utah

The reality is there are only a handful of teams that are first choice locations for 90% of the league.

I think the previous regime and ownership leaned more into the family friendly side to hopefully attract and retain veterans (which hilariously did not keep Gordon Hayward). Seems like Smith/Danny are less focused on that and more just about making Utah look cooler.

The reality is that Utah just isn't most people's vibe. And even if a player did like Utah, everyone knows Utah's perception so they are going to leverage that in contract negotiations.

And no one has even brought up the massive financial implications of getting drafted to Utah vs a major market. We just saw Austin Reaves get a 7 figure shoe deal for being Joe Ingles for a half season.

When Donovan got his major shoe deal I thought maybe he could break the mold and be Utah's first successful marketable player. He ended up being kind of milquetoast as a personality though. I doubt his shoes sold well nationally and I assume he probably blames the Utah market for that (Adidas treated him as an after thought after the ROTY campaign despite having a signature shoe. Kind of funny that I originally thought the deal was good for Utah as it meant it was possible to overcome the market, but the reality is that Adidas just signed him with the idea of eventually getting home out). I also assume his Adidas reps were 100% behind the New York rumors as they are the party with the most incentive for him to get to NYK.
Lol freaking Haywards wife absolutely hated living there. So did Sefos.

"Rich black people don't want to live in poor parts of a city so why do they care about living in cities with larger black populations" is quite the racist take.

Asking why people wanna live in places where other people are like them is racist now?

Bigotry - obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

My point with posting that is you can NEVER fight bigotry with bigotry.

Bigotry exists whether your white, black, hispanic or any other race. Players not wanting to come to Utah is as bigoted as they believe Utah is.

The only way to fight bigotry is inclusivity not exclusivity.

Inclusivity doesn't materialize by simply ignoring race after ending the slave trade.

The wealth accrued from the slave trade didn't just recirculate. It still exists. The coffers that hold that old money, the families that continue to benefit from it, all represent an immense _exclusivity_ that still shapes the identity of this country.

To an extent, that includes Utah. A territory-turned-state settled by settlers from Illinois that brought slaves with them, and legalized slavery here when it began.

It is preposterous to suggest that the progeny of any American slave should ignore that, and to simply focus on inclusivity when they continue to be excluded from benefiting from the big bags of money in question.

We should simply admit that we were born into a country that remains a crime scene (that requires some reckoning) to this day.

Ryan Smith is the Anthony Robbins version of the owners. I think that is a big deal. Players are always in interested in personal empowerment.