What's new

Still A Harsh Reality... Players not wanting to play in Utah

I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to live in Utah, since I personally don't want to live in Utah either. There are definitely much worse places to live though (I actually made a list in one of the other threads). The good news is that there are different strokes for different folks. A lot of people love living in Utah. Also, for the majority of players they are going to go where they will make the most money and have the best chance to succeed as a player.

So one guy out of the entire draft said that and they spend an article trying to presume who it was? Look, we all know there are players who don't want to be drafted here or come here in free agency. Danny, Justin, and the rest are working around that quite well. I imagine once this team is at contender level status, well, winning is a great deodorant.

Just guessing but it's possible every NBA team has had someone at some time say they don't want to play there
We just don't hear about it Maybe someone has said they don't want to play in LA NY MIami Chicago etc
Dwyane Wade is a part owner He seems to like Utah He must be playing some role in recruiting free agents etc

Feels like any progress the team had made in at least getting players to consider coming to Utah took two giant steps back when Mitchell blasted being black and living in Utah.

The only thing that will make players wamt to come to Utah is more money or if we are a contender. That will never change with perception over time or something like that. Most players dont want to play in a smaller town that is cold and has a lot of strange white mormons. But there is no reason to get worked up that there is supposedly one player in the draft that said "‘Man, I don’t know if I want to go to Utah." The guy didnt even say he doesnt want to go, just doesnt know. Which is completely fair of someone who probably knows little about Utah and doesnt want to live in the cold remote smaller city on a team that isnt good, but pretty crowded at most positions.

Last edited:
I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to live in Utah, since I personally don't want to live in Utah either. There are definitely much worse places to live though (I actually made a list in one of the other threads). The good news is that there are different strokes for different folks. A lot of people love living in Utah. Also, for the majority of players they are going to go where they will make the most money and have the best chance to succeed as a player.
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever lived in Utah and if so where did you live?

Jalen Hood Schifino is the mostikely to me.

You're sitting at 16 and you know Utah and LA like you. You're going to cross your fingers and pray Utah passes on you so you get to LA

Yeah, I grew up there. I still have a lot of family and friends that live there. I go back every couple of years.
What area did you live? The only reason I'm asking is because just in Salt Lake County alone you will get an entirely different experience from one neighborhood to another.

What area did you live? The only reason I'm asking is because just in Salt Lake County alone you will get an entirely different experience from one neighborhood to another.
I grew up in Salt Lake County, went to school in Cache Valley, but currently have family and friends all over the state. I've now lived in a lot of different places all over the country.

I do miss the mountains, but we specifically really like the Midwest. We like how green it is and all of the trees. We like that the cost of living is reasonable. We really enjoy taking weekend trips to go visit other places and we currently live within 5 hours of about 10 major cities.

I get that Utah has a lot to offer as well, but like I said, different strokes for different folks. It's ok that people don't want to live in Utah. There are a lot of people that hate the Midwest. It's all good.

I know Mitchell is not looked upon with favorable eyes on this board but I think his racial injustice struggles with the politics kinda made Utah look bad negating any positive progress. But the battle is ongoing.

Utah advantages:
Good development program
Great coach
Interesting owner to help get plugged into the latest cool thing or cool thing to do. Guidance into what to do with their free time.
Chance to play
Engaged fanbase
Good place to raise a family
Chance to be in the playoffs

Last edited: