What's new

Stockton Book

The Pearl

Contributor
Anybody cruised through it yet? I am almost done. It is about what I expected, although a little bit more candid in spots than I was expecting.

Assissted

Anybody cruised through it yet? I am almost done. It is about what I expected, although a little bit more candid in spots than I was expecting.

Finished last week, enjoyed it. Stock shard some insights without throwing people under the bus.

The part I found most interesting was the degree which the team culture fell apart in his last year. He admits that as a leader he takes responsibility for not knowing what the heck to do to fix the problem, so he went into isolation. He never mentions AK, Scott Padgett or Deshawn Stevenson by name but stories of the difference in youth culture versus historical Jazz culture had him pretty ripped up. (young guys called out Malone when Sloan was resting him in a practice, Karl stepped on the floor and destroyed them. I imagine this to be Padgett). And he mentions certain new vets who were in the Jazz counterculture camp (clearly meaning Mark J). That is from memory, I'll read through and add notes tonight. Personally, I would love to hear Harpring's thoughts on this year.

And it was almost comical his mea culpa about how badly he managed his retirement announcement (hint: tell your wife and Mailman before you announce to the press).

Finished last week, enjoyed it. Stock shard some insights without throwing people under the bus.

The part I found most interesting was the degree which the team culture fell apart in his last year. He admits that as a leader he takes responsibility for not knowing what the heck to do to fix the problem, so he went into isolation. He never mentions AK, Scott Padgett or Deshawn Stevenson by name but stories of the difference in youth culture versus historical Jazz culture had him pretty ripped up. (young guys called out Malone when Sloan was resting him in a practice, Karl stepped on the floor and destroyed them. I imagine this to be Padgett). And he mentions certain new vets who were in the Jazz counterculture camp (clearly meaning Mark J). That is from memory, I'll read through and add notes tonight. Personally, I would love to hear Harpring's thoughts on this year.

And it was almost comical his mea culpa about how badly he managed his retirement announcement (hint: tell your wife and Mailman before you announce to the press).

I agree. That was probably the most revealing..about eating alone in his room all the time and being lonely on the bus rides as everybody zoned out with their phones and electronic gear and the admitted failure as a leader. I was also a little taken aback by the lack of material concerning Hornacek and was surprised about his affection for Isiah and the obtuse connection they had.

There is also a pretty nice mea culpa about his interaction with fans. I don't think it felt like a justification to me. I think the dude was a tad bit paranoid and no doubt he is a pretty high level control freak.

The idea of a scrub like Scott Padgett (and I really hope it was him just for the mental image) calling Malone out is just comical to me.

On another note **** that guy. He's the one that in a playoff game against the Kings tipped in Stockton's three ball at the end of the game when the Jazz WERE DOWN BY 3!!!! How can you be so ****ing stupid....just let the ball have a chance to make it.

On another note **** that guy. He's the one that in a playoff game against the Kings tipped in Stockton's three ball at the end of the game when the Jazz WERE DOWN BY 3!!!! How can you be so ****ing stupid....just let the ball have a chance to make it.

He clanged it off the back rim - he didn't tip in ****.

I actually give Padgett a lot of credit - he somehow turned zero talent into a 8 year NBA career.

Padgett's offensive goaltend when we were down 3 is still one of the dumbest things I have ever seen a basketball player do.

£¥£

I actually give Padgett a lot of credit - he somehow turned zero talent into a 8 year NBA career.

Padgett....I thought I liked him as a jazz player, the stories afterward reveal he was low class Kansas Trash, or was it Kentucky?

Anyway Padgett telling the nba the jazz were cheating by deflating the balls....then later saying it was just a joke ..Moran.

Padgett....I thought I liked him as a jazz player, the stories afterward reveal he was low class Kansas Trash, or was it Kentucky?

Anyway Padgett telling the nba the jazz were cheating by deflating the balls....then later saying it was just a joke ..Moran.

No, he was telling Jazz overinflating the balls thus they are harder and more bouncy and more difficult to make shots. Even Hamilton believed that lol... we had like 11 win streak over them so he needed to blame something else but himself.

"So why does Detroit's offense usually come to a grinding halt in the Delta Center? Guard Rip Hamilton has a theory - one the Jazz have heard, and discounted, before.
The new NBA basketballs being used this season would help Detroit, Hamilton said, because the Jazz "can't use those hard balls anymore. They used to use those hard balls that would bounce off the rim."
Ever since ex-Jazz forward Scott Padgett said a few years ago that the team used to over-inflate the basketball to throw off the outside shooting of visiting teams, the theory has been discussed many times.
Hamilton is a believer, even though it was pointed out that John Stockton shot 52 percent during his 19-year career with the Jazz and Jeff Hornacek made 43 percent of his three-point shots during seven seasons in Utah.
"If you use it all the time," Hamilton said, "you get used to it."

"If you use it all the time you get used to it..."

That's what she said.