What's new

Stupidest Takes on Jazz Twitter

Monte Ellis!
He is always first to come to mind for me.
I get that one too... I think Monta was a better athlete but also was small... 6-3ish with a 6-3ish wingspan. Key is 6-4 and 6-10... but yeah... its not hard to find shoot first pg/small sg types that were mid or busted in addition to the good NBA players like Beal/CJ/Book.

The argument wasn't if Kessler was athletic or not. He was claiming that Kessler was an elite athlete which he is not.
If Walker isnt an elite athlete, how is he one of the best shotblockers in the history of the modern NBA? You cant use your brain to block shots, it's all a function of reaction speed, hand eye coordination, ability to jump off the floor quickly, etc. Walker is combining all those qualities in a very big body, which you could argue makes him an elite athlete.

This is all a bit if semantics and nitpicking, but I think you are just viewing athleticism through a more narrow lens than Tony is.

Its also one of the easier player comps to do at lower levels... Anfernee Simons, Jordan Clarkson, then you go to scary town like Jerryd Bayless, James Bouknight.

I think he has some uniqueness as his passing has been more advanced than I thought and he hasn't been nearly as ball dominant as I would have guessed.
It's what makes these types of players so hard to scout IMO.

There's a lot of them and they all have a very similar base skill package, but they will all develop in their own certain way that differentiates them.

I don't remember this at all. But just based off his Twitter interactions I am positive this is 100% true. lol
Tony has to deal with a lot of rude people who ask dumb questions. I 1000% get where he is coming from. The way some posters on here talk about him is absolutely disgusting as well. Tony is a great dude if you come at him with respect.

I don’t remember nor really care about rehashing that again. Sucks that Tony isn’t more active due to that if that’s the reason.
I'm not sure but I don't think Tony was ever really "active" here... he drops in once in a while(usually when there are big news around the Jazz), posts a bit and then disappears for the next 3-4-6 months... I don't even think whatever disagreements people had with him is what made him "leave". For example, it seems like the Kessler convos happened in November. Then he has a post about roster building from March... I just doubt his life revolves around this board like all us degenerates' lives do :D

We could fill this entire thread with takes from this guy alone.

View: https://twitter.com/McCadeP8/status/1615802352208084993

troy-point.gif

If Walker isnt an elite athlete, how is he one of the best shotblockers in the history of the modern NBA? You cant use your brain to block shots, it's all a function of reaction speed, hand eye coordination, ability to jump off the floor quickly, etc. Walker is combining all those qualities in a very big body, which you could argue makes him an elite athlete.

This is all a bit if semantics and nitpicking, but I think you are just viewing athleticism through a more narrow lens than Tony is.

Bc you don't need to be an elite athlete to block shots. Brook Lopez isn't an elite athlete. When Tim Duncan was 35+ he wasn't a great athlete either. Often times blocking shots is just about being big and being in position. I'm not the definition police, who cares. But if don't stretch your definition of "elite athleticism" to include guys like Brook Lopez I can't blame ya.

I'm not sure but I don't think Tony was ever really "active" here... he drops in once in a while(usually when there are big news around the Jazz), posts a bit and then disappears for the next 3-4-6 months... I don't even think whatever disagreements people had with him is what made him "leave". For example, it seems like the Kessler convos happened in November. Then he has a post about roster building from March... I just doubt his life revolves around this board like all us degenerates' lives do :D
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Bc you don't need to be an elite athlete to block shots. Brook Lopez isn't an elite athlete. When Tim Duncan was 35+ he wasn't a great athlete either. Often times blocking shots is just about being big and being in position. I'm not the definition police, who cares. But if don't stretch your definition of "elite athleticism" to include guys like Brook Lopez I can't blame ya.
To me that particular ability is a mix of athleticism, intelligence, and coordination/talent. If you are missing any of these you won't be a great shot blocker most likely. If you have 2 of the 3 you can still be a decent shot blocker, but likely not much more than that on defense. Rudy has all 3 in spades and therefore is transcendent in both blocks and defense in general. That is a generational talent. Walker still remains to be seen as his career progresses, but it looks good so far.

Tony has to deal with a lot of rude people who ask dumb questions. I 1000% get where he is coming from. The way some posters on here talk about him is absolutely disgusting as well. Tony is a great dude if you come at him with respect.
I like Tony and Andy. Love it when they post here and interact directly with the die-hard fans.

Is your definition of athleticism confined to track and field athletes? Or do you recognize hand eye coordination, reaction time, speed of the floor, etc are all functions of athleticism?

It goes back to people having very limited perception of what a thing is and only being able to identify surface level aspects of athleticism.

We will call someone with a 40'' vertical an elite athlete when maximum vertical leap is only one small aspect of athleticism, but wont do the same for other harder to identify/quantify aspects.

Would anyone say baseball players aren't athletes?

Okay, but are professional gamers athletes then?
eye-clipart-emoji-7.png
Yeah, you can actually argue gamers are some of the most impressive athletes because I believe there is actually a huge drop off in your reaction time that makes elite gamers elite as they age more so than sports like basketball/soccer/baseball. Kind of a wild concept, but it's true. Since games are these more static things, reaction speed is a lot more important than any single measure of athleticism in others sports is.

Is your definition of athleticism confined to track and field athletes? Or do you recognize hand eye coordination, reaction time, speed of the floor, etc are all functions of athleticism?

It goes back to people having very limited perception of what a thing is and only being able to identify surface level aspects of athleticism.

We will call someone with a 40'' vertical an elite athlete when maximum vertical leap is only one small aspect of athleticism, but wont do the same for other harder to identify/quantify aspects.

No it’s not. I just don’t think you must be an elite athlete to be an elite shot blocker. Like I said, the most important things to being a good shot blocker in my opinion are being big and being in position. Those two things do not amount to athleticism

There is a difference between skills and physical athleticism. Also the debate we were having with Tony was about him being an elite run and jump athlete.