What's new

Summary Of Last Five Games(11-15) and The Trend Of The Jazz

MK11

I've written a summary of first ten games of the season past week, now after five games I think it's worthy to check the Jazz's trend over the last five games and try to see the near future of our team. Lets go...

But first I suggest you to open this song and let it play in the background with a reasonable volume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0o8JCxjjpM (Explosions in the sky - First breath after coma)

Utah Jazz, (10-5)Overall and (4-1)for the last five games. Our last five games are here :

1) New Jersey Nets vs Utah Jazz : 94-107 W
https://www.nba.com/games/20120114/NJNUTA/gameinfo.html
2) Utah Jazz vs Denver Nuggets : 106-96 W
https://www.nba.com/games/20120115/UTADEN/gameinfo.html
3) La Clippers vs Utah Jazz : 79-108 W
https://www.nba.com/games/20120117/LACUTA/gameinfo.html
4) Dallas Mavericks vs Utah Jazz : 94-91 L
https://www.nba.com/games/20120119/DALUTA/gameinfo.html
5) Minnesota Timberwolves vs Utah Jazz : 98-108 W
https://www.nba.com/games/20120121/MINUTA/gameinfo.html

As you see, our home court-dominant schedule has continued and we had four home court games last five games. That means 10 home and 5 away games overall. And we're 8-2 at home and 2-3 on the road. We lost against Lakers and Dallas at home and Lakers, Denver and Spurs on the road. Our first three losses were embrassing as we lost by an average of 19 points against Lakers, Denver and Spurs, these all were on the road. But our two losses against Lakers and Dallas were by only 3 points margin each, these losses were at home.

After a heartbreaking loss(90-87) at our home against Lakers, we hosted our old guns, Dwill and Memo, not to mention DeShawn Stevenson, Kris Humphries and Sundiata Gaines, maybe the worst team in the league by the time(they're still a strong contender for it though). As we crushed the Nets, with 94-107, we didn't give a nice welcome to our old boy Deron either.

Then, we got our second road victory against Denver Nuggets by ten points margin(106-96). Against this overrated but decent team, our team just continued to giving us hope for the future. Gordon Hayward had his season-high 19 points and added 4 rebounds, 3 assists while rookie Burks had 10 pts after his 15 in the first meeting with Denver. But player of the game was our Millsap. We've watched a crazy hot Millsap in the fourth quarter while he was bringing the game for us. He finsihed the game with 26 pts, 12 rbs, 3 asts. The best part of this win was our determination to control the pace of the game in my opinion.

Next, there was the sweetest win of the season so far. Against LA Clippers, I'd predicted that we may struggle even they were without CP3. But for the sake of all the holy cows in India, I was sooo wrong. We absoulately, definitely, precisely humiliated them. I don't know what happened to them that nigth but I won't accept any excuse for them including the absent of CP3. Lob city, LOL! I'd want to make fun of it with some silly, stupid jokes but I think the game was enough itself for it. Especially with the 8 total high quality dunks and alley-oops against some weak Griffin dunks. This game was a good big punch to the ugly faces of the ESPN and all the LA-lover media(They didn't ashamed though, only went into the silence after the game). We played our best game, closed the middle, protected the rim, locked their perimeter offence, dominated in the paint and absoulately humiliated them, oh I've said it already. But that's not my bag, they were the ones who didn't show any glimpse of pride. Our players on the other hand, showed all the hustle and energy and the joy that they're having of playing together. With this energy, our deep rotation was too much for the Clippers. Even without Favors our bench have dominated theirs while CJ Miles was showing what can he be if he plays wisely throgh his talents with a stat sheet of 19 pts, 5 rbs, 4 steals and an assist. And of course Jeremy Evans... He managed to be the "most fun to watch player" again in his well deserved 17 mins on the floor. Well, not exactly on the floor... By the way, we won against Clippers 43rd time in last 45 games at home.

After "Salt Lob City Basketball Festival", unfortunately, another heartbreaking loss came at home against Mavericks(94-91). Despite this was our only second loss at home, the way of the defeat has hurted us big time. First of all, it was a very winnable game. Second there were also not so game-related reasons like coward refrees(I know it's actually a part of the Basketball). Nevertheless, the inexperience, bad luck, low fg, and most importantly bad defense on certain players like Beaubois and Marion with some bad coaching and other reasons brought us the loss. Hmm... I'm feeling like I forgot something. Well, oh, of course. It's Devin the Ultimate Distrubuter and Scorer Harris. I feel sorry about the guy though and I will explain why, after some in the Harris paragraph.

Anyway, I think everyone on the same page that the fact is we missed Howard badly. His absence cost us as both veteran experience late in the game and the Shawn Marion's unexpected game show.

But, despite all the bad taste of this defeat, we can also have a look in a brigth optimism, out of this loss. Think about it, Jazz could've won easily if we had a slightly decent pg play or a 30+ years old veteran(Howard) for some critical mins, or some more decent ref decisions, or if we just had some more games like this under our belt, or even a little bit more luck... You can bring the rest... So, I think, we're still good. So good, because, we're way beyond our expectations.

And the last game was a real trap game. Against Minnesota we did just what we should do and won the game in the last quarter. I would be more anxious if we had a good third quarter but lag in the fourth. We rebounded very well and didn't let Love to do anything. Wasn't an easy win as the 10 pts margin shows. Millsap has played on elite level again and he finished with 9 rbs, 4 asts while scoring 12 of his 26 pts in the fourth quarter. Big Al's 12 rbs, Bell's 5/6 FG, Miles' 18 pts and Watson's 7 asts were the good performances. Harris' 9 pts with 4 of 5 FG was good too and gave him some fresh air after his last game performance. Hayward was lost scoring wise but he contributed to the team with his 6 asts.
Anyway, it was a good win and has consolidated our course. By the way, Ricky Rubio was the player which wacthed with the most attention by the Jazz fans, I believe.

* MENTIONABLE PLAYERS AND SOME ISSUES...

Now, let's talk about some players and the issues.

I should praise this guy firstly, then I'll talk about the others and issues. Paul Millsap... His last five games stats, in 33 mpg, with %56 FG and %87 FT shooting, 21.2 pts, 10.4 rbs(4.4 off rbs, wow), 2.6 asts, 1.8 stls... I remember very well this guy's rookie year. Everyone was talking about his hustle and energy but I was telling my friends about his talents, BB IQ and his character. They were saying he can be only a good bench player and thpically talking about his size and I was answering them with the Charles Barkley example and saying that he'll be a big player. After all these years I'm the rigth one on him. I'm proud of this guy. He's one of my all-time favourites. Long live Millsap...

Earl Watson hasn't the spectacular stats but every true basketball fan know that it's more than the numbers. He basically runs the team very well. I'm pretty sure all the Jazz fans feel at ease like me when he's on the floor. From the begining of the season he's increased his playing time steadely along with his effect on the game. I still don't believe he's a pg to be a starter on a contender team but he's defenitely the perfect back up pg for any basketball team in the universe. I personally thank him for his all toughness and commanding the team. Here is his last five games performance... For 22.5 mpg with %67 FG, 5.2 pts, 6 asts, 3.2 rbs.

Raja Bell and Cj Miles issues are getting better with the time. Still not convincing but we can wait and see if they continue to pick it up. Bell has shooted over %54 FG and %55 from the three point line last five games and averaged 9.2 pts, 1.6 rbs and 1.4 asts in 27.2 mins while CJ has shooted almost %48 as he averaged 15 pts, 1.6 stls, 1.8 asts, 3.2 rbs in 21 mins. Bell should see less mins and CJ should shoot better behind the three point line to make the team more efficient.

Favors have minor problems and most of it related to his minor injury. But after game by game I'm getting more worried about his laid back personality. It may hurt him in the way of fulfilling his very high potential. And I should state, this is not about "the incident". I just want him to have a strong fire and love for the game. Hence, if he has it already in his inside world, it's all OK for me then.

Kanter has continued to rebound well and has sligtly increased his mins thanks to Favors unlucky injury and big win against Clippers. He's averaged 5.8 pts, 5 rbs with %55 FG and %88 FT shooting in 15.2 mpg last five games. But he's also continued to having the all same problems as he's still very uncomfortable under the rim. He couldn't get rid of that silly hesitance and bringing the ball down to his knees after his hard gained offensive rebounds. Other than this, there still isn't any sets for him on the low post specifically designed for him. Ergo, when he got the ball on the low post he's overtrying and making stupid, raw hook shots, if he knows there will be at least two or three sets especially prepared for him on the low post, I'm pretty sure he'll be using them more wisely and in confidence. Plus I strongly believe that he needs to have a free pass for his mid range jumpers. It would benefit both his game and the team's offense. I really don't understand what kind of a strategy that is, to not let a player to show his skill... It's weird.

Burks has played with 8.2 pts and 2.4 rbs in 16.2 mins for last five games with %42 FG. Of course he still has lots of things to learn but he's showing improvements every game so I'm confident about his future. Now I can state only one important issue about his game; he tries to score even when he should see his teammates. And you know what, right now this team need every single passing skills of all players.

"The too much offense through Al Jefferson issue" is got better a little bit. Also he rebounds and passes well lately. He's averaged 17.6 pts, 10 rbs and 2.2 asts, 1 blks and 0.8 steal for 31.2 mpg last five games. But his problems are not mainly about his overall performance. His FG% has dropped. He's played with %44 shooting last five games and I believe it's not good for a Center. Or it's more likely better to say "it's not a good thing to have a low FG shooting type of a Center to be a serious contender". I hope he increase his FG% to his career average which is %50. But if you consider even a shorter Millsap plays with a %53 career FG as a tiny big man, you'll understand what I mean. Plus I believe he has a condition problem. His efficiency on the offensive end drops when he got tired. And his defence can literraly disappear at those moments. Not to mention he's not an above average deffender already. It's very frusturating to watch him letting any player to get to the rim over him while he is just standing there at the end of the games. His blocks come early in the games most of the time. It's hard to believe that this is a condition problem when we consider he's not getting over 33 mins per game. But when you think this is a relentless season and you can see his little beer belly shaking while he's runnig the floor and his struggle to suck all the air in the arena, I think it's very plausable.

G. Hayward's consistency and confidence issues continue... This kid makes me sad. I'm high about his potential, I love his skills and his raw talents but as I see his failings at some certain moments in the games I'm worrying that he may never become a better player than average. But then he suddenly shows up with some creative and crafty moves on offensive end or a glimpse of his high BB IQ or some nasty defensive plays with his high hustle and energy... What can I say, I still believe that he'll be an All-Star one day so I will try to wait with patience. Here is his last five games performance... In 26.4
mpg, 9 pts, 3.4 rbs, 2.6 asts, 1 stl, 0.8 blk with %42 FG and %33 three point shooting.

Perimeter shooting... This all depends on some various reasons. As you all know, inside-outside balance is crucial in basketball. And you can keep alive this balance only by being good at both inside and outside. The Jazz is obviously very good at inside game but not at the outside. Our shooters suck for a fact as they shoot from behind the line like this: D. Harris %31, E. Watson %21, G. Hayward %27, R. Bell %35, CJ Miles %30, A. Burks %25, Howard %19... But the blame shouldn't be only on them. We still don't move the ball well on the perimeter. Not from inside to out either. For example, I believe that Dwight Howard better than our all big men at giving the ball out again. And our drivers don't do this too. Most of the time they dive into the paint and go to the the rim no matter whatever happens next. Our high screens suck. Non of our big men can pick effectively to create a pop behind the line. As we suck on the perimeter game by game, all our players show hesitance when it comes to shoot from some distance. And when they hesitate they shoot out of rhythm and litterally become chuckers.
Anyway this issue will be a good test to overcome for Ty, to my eye.

Devin Harris... Here are his numbers for the last five games... In 24.2 mpg, with %42 FG and %27 three point shooting, 7 pts, 4.4 asts, 1.2 rbs, 1.2 stls... As I said earlier, I feel somewhat sorry for this guy. I like the guy as a fast, scoring pg but he can't give much thing to our team with his playing style. Or can he? I believe he can. But unfortunately it's not that exciting thing. Because, to do so, there have to be other conditions like a really efficient point forward as in G. Hayward, a well passing team with flawless motion offense or/and a serious perimeter shooting threat in the team's play. Goes on so... Even without these things a well playing D. Harris can be a solid asset. But current D. Harris is like a hand brake more than being an asset. He's never been a good three pointer, OK, that's bearable, but he's never been a player this badly either. In fact, he has the talent to be a 17-7 pg in most of the teams in this league. But the problem is that he doesn't seem to have the determination to be so. He's done good things at past, but we can't say he will do it in the future because of that determination-lacking.
I'm not on the "let's trade Harris immediately" bandwagon yet but it sure will be better to trade him if he continues like he did so far. But not for Calderon, in my opinion. Calderon-type pass-first pg? Yes. Calderon? No. That would be a rush trade. I know Euroballers very well from their begining of careers. And I strongly believe that Calderon is not the one we're looking for. Maybe he can be good in very short term but in the long term I'm pretty sure this board would be begging for another trade for another pg if we trade for Calderon. Anyway for now I prefer to wait for Harris to pick it up rather than a Calderon trade.

As we talk about trades... A question to everyone: Have you heard any rumour about that the Jazz FO is ready to take Paul Pierce's contract and give Big Al and Harris to get Rajon Rondo. My friend says he's read this somewhere on the net but he doesn't remember where. I've searched it, couldn't find anything. He said that it says that we can get a big man like Chris Wilcox from Boston or another one via a third team in the trade to protect our front court depth and give CJ as well to fill Paul's space for Boston. If there is such a rumour I'm pretty sure local fans should've heard this.

If there is that would make us like this...

C---> Favors / Kanter / an X big
PF---> Millsap / Favors / Evans /Kanter/an X big
SF---> Pierce / Howard / Hayward /Evans
SG---> Hayward / Bell / Burks
PG---> Rondo / Watson / Tinsley /Burks

Anyway I will post this trade to AKMVP's ultimate trade thread. If you've heard anything about this please inform me.

*ABOUT COACHING...

I'm OK for now with Ty Corbin. His weird rotations continue and he sometimes doesn't react well to the game situations. But overall he's doing a good job. Plus I see the hard screen plays like the old Jazz team's more often so I'm glad. And I'll be more glad with a more moving offense along with the screens and post plays. And it would be great if he consider Kanter as a shooting threat from the 10-15 feet or highpost or even behind the three point line. Also I'd like him to reduce Bell's mins and increase Burks' pt. Other than this, I'll continue to observe Ty.

* CONCLUSION...

Of course It's obvious that the Jazz team need more road tests and back to backs to prove whether they are a playoff team or not. But one thing is sure, this schedule did certainly good for us so far because, both players, coaching and team stuff and the fans got self confidence through this early and unexpected succes.

Our positives and negatives by now are clean. We've some good veterans with very good young core. We have hustle, energy and a good game tempo. Our players enjoy playing and our team chemistry is one of the bests. We're very good in the paint on the offensive end, we're not so bad on the defensive end. At least we're good at protecting the rim. We have magical homecourt advantage as always. And of course we have Millsap.

As our deficiencies... We litteraly suck on perimeter shooting. We've incompatibility between our first pg's playing style and our team structure. Rest of the team don't pass the ball well either. We dont have enough experience, respect of refrees and high confidence on away games. We couldn't beat that some arrogant big teams.

Nevertheless, as of today, we have a better sample size to have predictions about our team as first 15 games went away. And I think everyone can believe that this team can make the playoffs. And if we make it maybe we'll be capable more of it by then.

Now we have the first real breathing and a good resting chance for a good amount of time for this young and new team. This is also a good chance for us, the fans, to think about our team and its future.

All in all, we're on the rigth track on a road with tiny little rocks. And I only hope we don't bump to a big hard rock forthcoming days.

Sorry for typos, bad english and chaotic writing. And, you don't have to read all, by the way, of course.

Last edited:
Despite this was our only second loss at home, the way of the defeat has hurted us big time.

Just being picky here MK11. Not that i am any better, but this is certainly a candidate for most fractured sentence in the history of the English language. Certainly not up
to your usual high standard. Checked the time of day you posted this to see if perhaps you were sleep deprived, but no. Perhaps a little cocktail fall-out. Would put a little smiley face
or something but i'm still working on the nuances of puter-ing. LOL i think is the cool acronym to use.

All in all though, it was an impressive post which required a lot of effort. Good job.

That's a lot of words..and as I was skimming through it I thought I might consider reading it all later today.

Then I saw Rondo's name and voted 1.

Just being picky here MK11. Not that i am any better, but this is certainly a candidate for most fractured sentence in the history of the English language. Certainly not up
to your usual high standard. Checked the time of day you posted this to see if perhaps you were sleep deprived, but no. Perhaps a little cocktail fall-out. Would put a little smiley face
or something but i'm still working on the nuances of puter-ing. LOL i think is the cool acronym to use.

All in all though, it was an impressive post which required a lot of effort. Good job.

Hahaha:) No worries, grandpa, you just schooled me. And in my time zone 09:38 pm is 06:38 am. I'm just trying to divert my mind from my personal problems with this kind of stuff. I like everything Utah Jazz related so it's better than alcohol. And of course, I'm trying to add something to the board.

By the way, I'll never learn the English language properly, because it has completely different structure than Turkish. You have to turn upside down your mind entirely to speak or write in English if you're a Turk.

Thanks by the way for reading all this chaos...