What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

Agreed but he's not going to accept a bench role. He will be a starting point guard somewhere next season.

Maybe, but where? Phoenix? Memphis? not a lot of homes for him. I expect the Rubio market to be very tepid.

If Korver retired, we could make some serious moves this off-season. https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/04/25/jazz-sharpshooter-kyle/

For 2019-20, here are the contracts:
Gobert $25
Ingles $12
Exum $9.6
Crowder $7.8
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
O'Neale $1.6
Niang $1.6
Draft pick cap hold $1.6
Lowest Salary Realistically Possible: $69 Million (includes minimum salaries to meet full roster requirement)

If we could find a way to extend Favors to something long term at around $12-13 per year, we would still have enough money to offer Kemba a near max contract.

Korver is great for the season but suspect for the postseason. Love the guy, but we could make some serious moves if we don't have to pay that $7.5 million.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Chicago were rumoured to be interested in Rubio around the trade deadline

that's one I didn't think of... I guess I consider Zach to be a point guard, but he's really not. Probably depends on their other moves, but Bulls and Suns are likely the teams he could start for. If they go with Morant or Garland in the draft they may not want to pay a lot for Ricky. He said he wants to be happy... not sure if that means playing time, winning, or just environment. I just think he isn't going to get the money or role that some might guess... unless it is from a bottom feeder.

I would really like to see us pick up a big name. We need to trade or sign as a FA a good PG or SG. Then pick up a couple of these guys below. Jazz could pick up one of the top 10 FAs this year. We have a good situation for players to walk into.

But we should target some solid role players JaMychal Green would be great at PF for us and an upgrade over Crowder. Tyreke Evans would be a solid pickup for us, we could use his scoring. Alex Caruso might be had for a decent offer and is looking like he has real potential. Mike Scott, Danny Green, Seth Curry, Dwayne Bacon, and Danuel House are all FAs that we could potentially get that can actually shoot the ball well, which we desperately need. JaKarr Sampson looks like he might be a good pickup as well.

I love Favors. I think he could put up bigger numbers in a starter's role. However, I don't want him walking away and the Jazz get nothing for him. So they either sign him to a longer deal or take his option and trade him. I would look at LA or Atlanta for a trade. Jazz need to upgrade their PG, SF, PF positions.

Kemba would be my first choice at PG. Yea I know Jazz have no chance but why not swing for the fences. Beside the fact Kemba is a family man and likes the quiet family life and not the club life. He could also be attracted to the fact that the Jazz have a great organization and usually make the playoffs.

If Korver retired, we could make some serious moves this off-season. https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/04/25/jazz-sharpshooter-kyle/

Gobert $25
Ingles $12
Exum $9.6
Crowder $7.8
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
O'Neale $1.6
Niang $1.6
Draft pick cap hold $2
Lowest Salary Realistically Possible: $68.5 Million (includes minimum salaries to meet full roster requirement)

If we could find a way to extend Favors to something long term at around $12-13 per year, we would still have enough money to offer Kemba a near max contract.

Korver is great for the season but suspect for the postseason. Love the guy, but we could make some serious moves if we don't have to pay that $7.5 million.

Korver did retire. He may not know it yet, but he did.

That said, Dirk was retired the last few years too, but somehow was on a roster.

Maybe I'm confusing retire with expired.

Hehepeepeecaca

Gobert $25
Ingles $12
Exum $9.6
Crowder $7.8
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
O'Neale $1.6
Niang $1.6
Draft pick cap hold $2
Lowest Salary Realistically Possible: $68.5 Million (includes minimum salaries to meet full roster requirement)

Man the 3rd highest paid player on the team is a ded guy. Smfh

Off-season at dante's

Korver did retire. He may not know it yet, but he did.

That said, Dirk was retired the last few years too, but somehow was on a roster.

Maybe I'm confusing retire with expired.

Hehepeepeecaca

He played really well in the season and I think helped us win a few games. However, he couldn't help us in the playoffs and I doubt he would next year either. He couldn't do much for the Cavs in the 2018 playoffs.

I see what you are saying. For all parties concerned, it just might be that time.

Btw, Korver is like Andre Miller. They have better numbers than lots of HoFers, but won't make it. Korver is number 4 all time 3's. Miller was top 10 all time assists until James passed him.

I think Miller is a HoFer though. His 52 point game when he was old, using old man's game was reason enough for me. Sam Cassel had a similar game too. Miss those guys.

Btw, Korver is like Andre Miller. They have better numbers than lots of HoFers, but won't make it. Korver is number 4 all time 3's. Miller was top 10 all time assists until James passed him.

I think Miller is a HoFer though. His 52 point game when he was old, using old man's game was reason enough for me. Sam Cassel had a similar game too. Miss those guys.

Yeah, the old man all purpose PG is kind of going away. They're going away faster than classic centers who post up and back down.

Interesting article about Gallinari

"Front office executives I’ve chatted with don’t think it’d be challenging to find a suitor for Gallo; he’s on an expiring contract and just had a career-best season. Not many teams could outright absorb his $22.6 million salary, but a few make sense, such as the Nets or Mavericks, or a club looking to accelerate their rebuild like the Hawks, or a playoff team looking to get over the hump like the Jazz or Pacers. The Clippers could have to sacrifice a future pick for a team to help them create two maximum slots, but that’d be a worthy price to pay."

If we miss out on the big free agent signings, it would be wise to get Gallinari especially if the Clippers attach a protected 2020 1st rounder. Extend Favors to $12ish million per year.

Gobert $25
Gallinari $22.6
Favors $12
Ingles $12
Exum $9.6
Crowder $7.8
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
O'Neale $1.6
Niang $1.6
Draft pick cap hold $1.6
TOTAL: $102

If we could add Beverley (doubtful), Collison or somebody PG that with the $7 million we have left under the cap, I think we could very strong going into next year. And we would have 2 first round picks for the 2020 draft.

Last edited:
Interesting article about Gallinari

"Front office executives I’ve chatted with don’t think it’d be challenging to find a suitor for Gallo; he’s on an expiring contract and just had a career-best season. Not many teams could outright absorb his $22.6 million salary, but a few make sense, such as the Nets or Mavericks, or a club looking to accelerate their rebuild like the Hawks, or a playoff team looking to get over the hump like the Jazz or Pacers. The Clippers could have to sacrifice a future pick for a team to help them create two maximum slots, but that’d be a worthy price to pay."

If we miss out on the big free agent signings, it would be wise to get Gallinari especially if the Clippers attach a protected 2020 1st rounder. Extend Favors to $12ish million per year.

Gobert $25
Gallinari $22.6
Favors $12
Ingles $12
Exum $9.6
Crowder $7.8
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
O'Neale $1.6
Niang $1.6
Draft pick cap hold $1.6
TOTAL: $102

If we could add Beverley (doubtful), Collison or somebody PG that with the $7 million we have left under the cap, I think we could very strong going into next year. And we would have 2 first round picks for the 2020 draft.

If he just had a career best season and helped the Clippers make the playoffs but take two games off of the Warriors why do they want to be rid of him?

If he just had a career best season and helped the Clippers make the playoffs but take two games off of the Warriors why do they want to be rid of him?

They want the cap space to add two max free agents.

"It’s not likely that Leonard and Durant will join the Clippers. Two superstars joining forces rarely happens in sports. But it’s surprisingly simple to make it happen, though. The Clippers would need to create $70.85 million in cap space to outright sign both players. If the salary cap is $109 million, as it’s projected, they could create $78.2 million in space by (1) renouncing the rights to all their free agents other than center Ivica Zubac and (2) trading Danilo Gallinari. If Leonard and Durant were signed, then the left-over cash could be used to re-sign Beverley, and they’d have the rights to Zubac."

It is May 17, and as of right now, I think the wisest and most realistic free agent target is...

D'Angelo Russell

- he would represent a long term investment who could grow with Donovan to create a dynamic backcourt

- he would cost $27 million or maybe less which would be $5+ less than Conley, Kemba, Tobias, etc.

- I'm tired of "short term" PG fixes. Russell is 22 and we could lock down that position for the next 4-10 years

- he is friends with Donovan. That means something. It means even more now in today's game.

- lastly, I'm tired of trading 1st round picks. If we signed Russell, all we do is spend money we have been talking about spending. I don't want to trade another 1st for an old PG.

It is May 17, and as of right now, I think the wisest and most realistic free agent target is...

D'Angelo Russell

- he would represent a long term investment who could grow with Donovan to create a dynamic backcourt

- he would cost $27 million or maybe less which would be $5+ less than Conley, Kemba, Tobias, etc.

- I'm tired of "short term" PG fixes. Russell is 22 and we could lock down that position for the next 4-10 years

- he is friends with Donovan. That means something. It means even more now in today's game.

- lastly, I'm tired of trading 1st round picks. If we signed Russell, all we do is spend money we have been talking about spending. I don't want to trade another 1st for an old PG.

That’s all well and good but unless they waive his caphold to sign another free agent they will just match. I’m guessing they move Crabbe so they can make a max offer without waiving Russell’s caphold.

That’s all well and good but unless they waive his caphold to sign another free agent they will just match. I’m guessing they move Crabbe so they can make a max offer without waiving Russell’s caphold.
If we sign Russell and they just match, that's still the most intent and free agency success our front office has shown since Boozer or Jason Terry.

If we verbally agree with Russell on the first day of the moratorium, we will likely know what Brooklyn will do before we have to decide on Favors.

Samanic tested like an elite athlete for his size... both vertically and horizontally...

lane agility - 3d for his position
shuttle run - 1st for his position
3/4 sprint - 2nd for his position
max vertical - 1st for his position

If we sign Russell and they just match, that's still the most intent and free agency success our front office has shown since Boozer or Jason Terry.

If we verbally agree with Russell on the first day of the moratorium, we will likely know what Brooklyn will do before we have to decide on Favors.

So we are aiming for Sacramento Kings levels of free agent success?