What's new

Summer League: Jazz vs. 76ers Tuesday 9am (wake up early)

Strange dude this Ahearn. 2 time NBAD-MVP, hit 110 FTs in a row last year and is a great 3 point shooter. When Kyle Korver and Steve Novak can make great livings being one trick ponys, you should think that Ahearn could do the same.

Novak is 6'8" or 6'9". Korver is 6'7". They can be hidden on D against the weaker offensive players. Ahearn is a PG only and has no chance to guard NBA PG's.

Ahern and Green aren't NBA ready though. Stockton may be better than Watson but Watson is a veteran. I want a young PG with a high ceiling not a mediocre backup PG

Adhern got the call up, so someone thought he was. That also says something about Stockton if he's looking better than some guy who was already on our squad. It's only two summer league games, but I love watching the ball in Stock's hands. He's looks like a better passer than Ahern ever has.

Ahearn absolutely sucks on D, and if you're a point guard with other limitations, you might as well forget a career in the NBA. Stockton is very good at staying in front of his man. I'd take Stockton over him both for defense and playmaking.

Sign this Stockton kid up! His signing would, at the very least, boost team morale and his daddy would attend many more games, which is always good.

There's no way Ahearn is more of a liability than Steve Novak. That said, I don't particularly care for him as a player on my team.

Stockton Jr. has about the quickest feet (moving side to side and backwards) on the defensive end I think I've ever seen in a white guy.

I would much rather have Stockton for the potential story, but realistically he isn't a NBA player because he doesn't have any NBA level skill. Being a pure PG isn't a big NBA thing anymore unless you are elite at it, Stockton doesn't appear to be an elite pure PG. Ahearn is a really good catch and shoot player who can't really do anything else, but he can do that one thing on a NBA level and is at the time an extremely important skill NBA teams want.

so burks is not a point guard.
Doesn't look like it. I don't think he has the right mindset for a point guard. At best he could be a combo guard next to a pass oriented wing player like Hayward. He has the dribbling skills to play the point but he obviously looks for his own offence first.

I would much rather have Stockton for the potential story, but realistically he isn't a NBA player because he doesn't have any NBA level skill. Being a pure PG isn't a big NBA thing anymore unless you are elite at it, Stockton doesn't appear to be an elite pure PG. Ahearn is a really good catch and shoot player who can't really do anything else, but he can do that one thing on a NBA level and is at the time an extremely important skill NBA teams want.

What was Ronnie Price better at than Stockton besides jumping?

Burks doesn't seem to have the ability to really probe the defense and keep his dribble alive in a controlled manner to be a PG. He is very aggressive in attacking. Murphy actually seems to have a pretty good drive and kick game because he is much more of a slower, controlled driver.

Stockton Jr. has about the quickest feet (moving side to side and backwards) on the defensive end I think I've ever seen in a white guy.

You're forgetting how great an athlete his dad was. When he came into the league, he was as fast and quick as Rickey Green was at that point.

Thankfully I'm fine with the PGs we have going into this year. We can watch Stockton, and others as they develop.

Will rep the first person to put together Alec Burks highlights (actually, will rep anyone who does so).

What was Ronnie Price better at than Stockton besides jumping?

My comparison was Watson. MS looks to me to have everything Watson provides skill wise or physically, and then some. Watson's an old school tough guy which is valuable but not a skill.

It's telling how many minutes little Stock got today. It's just SL yada yada but this kid is far and away better running the team than anybody else suiting up right now.

I think we can agree that shooting is a much more important skill than jumping. Also, Stockton was an elite passer, playmaker, and shooter. Young Stockton isn't elite at those things.

I think the issue is basically that if you had to take Ahearn or Stockton Jr. for an entire game, you probably take Stockton. Since they'll likely only play five minutes or in spots off the bench, having one great skill is better than being a more balanced overall player.