What's new

Summer League Notebook: Rodney Hood could break out in 2015-16 | CBS Sports

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-o...tebook-rodney-hood-could-break-out-in-2015-16

Sometimes, players just show that they're a level above Summer League competition. We're seeing it in Orlando with Aaron Gordon, and we're also seeing it in Utah with Rodney Hood.

Hood, who quietly had a pretty awesome rookie season for the Jazz, scored 23 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in the Jazz's first game on Monday, leading the team to a big win against Boston. Then, on Tuesday, he scored an efficient 18 points on 8-14 shooting to give Jazz a nice come from behind victory. During the past 48 hours, he's proven he doesn't belong at this level.

He's done basically everything that the team could ask of him this week and more, including getting out in transition, knocking down shots coming up off of pin-down screens or off of pick-and-roll pull-ups, slashing to the rim for lay-ups, and even playing as a lead ball-handler occasionally. But the most impressive part of his game hasn't been the variety, it's been the calm way he's gone about his business. He's clearly extremely comfortable with his game here, getting to his spots with ease and simplicity against the lower level.

It's exactly the kind of performance any team would hope for from a rising second-year player in Summer League. And it's great news for the Jazz specifically, a team that will be reliant on internal development if they want to make the playoffs next season after not making a splash in free agency. Hood becoming a versatile wing that can space the floor and run side pick-and-rolls (something he did very well last year in a somewhat limited sample) could allow Quin Snyder to really bust out some versatile lineups next season. They could roll out some small-ball lineups with Hood and Hayward at the forward spots, or even some ultra big lineups with Hood and Hayward sharing lead responsibilities. These weird lineups that teams haven't seen from them before could be the key to them unlocking enough offense to back their strong defense.

Finding that offense will be the key for the Jazz if they're to make the playoffs in the deep Western Conference next season. Hood has shown signs the summer that he may be the man to help them with that, and that's all the team could have possibly asked for from him this summer.

Love the trio of Hood/Burks/Hayward. All 3 can handle the ball and create their own shot, and all 3 can shoot from 3 at a above 35 %. Spot minutes from Ingles rounds it out pretty well also. Jazz got the steal of the late first round 2 years in a row.

Love the trio of Hood/Burks/Hayward. All 3 can handle the ball and create their own shot, and all 3 can shoot from 3 at a above 35 %. Spot minutes from Ingles rounds it out pretty well also. Jazz got the steal of the late first round 2 years in a row.

some people on JFC think we'll see very little of this combination of players on the floor at the same time.

I can't believe he fell to us. How did players like Gary Harris, James Young, and Jordan Adams get taken before him?

I don't think we will see as much of a Hayward, Hood, Burks line up. To do so takes out either Favors/Gobert or Exum/Burke.

Obviously Burke is the best option for that but it won't be a highly used lineup IMO.

I am so stoked!!!!

I don't think we will see as much of a Hayward, Hood, Burks line up. To do so takes out either Favors/Gobert or Exum/Burke.

Obviously Burke is the best option for that but it won't be a highly used lineup IMO.

I am so stoked!!!!

Burks, Hood, and Hayward can play 1, 2, and 3. So, this combo doesn't have to touch Favs or Gobert. It obviously impacts Exum, but the kid can't play 48 minutes, so...

I am so stoked!!!!

Stoke level is high for this season...

I can't believe he fell to us. How did players like Gary Harris, James Young, and Jordan Adams get taken before him?
Potential. Hood was older and not thought of as being very athletic or very good defensively. I myself was shocked at his floor game and smooth athletic ability. He was somewhat overlooked due to bent an older prospect in the draft.

Cbs is usually pretty clueless. Shocked at the insight this article gives

some people on JFC think we'll see very little of this combination of players on the floor at the same time.

I never said anything about all 3 being on the court at the same time, but I think 2 of the 3 will be on the court about 80 % of the time. Takes a lot of pressure off our young PG's.

Potential. Hood was older and not thought of as being very athletic or very good defensively. I myself was shocked at his floor game and smooth athletic ability. He was somewhat overlooked due to bent an older prospect in the draft.

Cbs is usually pretty clueless. Shocked at the insight this article gives

He was also playing second fiddle behind Jabari and never really had the chance to showcase his all around abilities.

When I read the quote, I was thinking that they were saying that Hood, Burks and Hayward were a solid wing rotation, as in they would take up most of the minutes at the 2 and 3 spots. In my personal opinion, I would rather see that than have extended minutes with those three on the floor at the same time.

I think Burks/Hood/Hayward can handle the distribution load ok, but I think having a point guard on the floor benefits the team more than having three wings on the floor. Just look at Hayward for an example. He is a competent distributor, but when he is forced to do a lot of the playmaking, the rest of his game drops a little bit.

Wouldn't mind those guys on the floor for a few minutes a night though, especially if Burke continues to play like a pile of steaming turds.

National writers trying to get on that Utah bandwagon early so they can brag on twitter when we make the playoffs.

Kevin Arnovitz said Utah is going to be a top 8 Western Conference team during Zach Lowe's recent podcast.