What's new

Summer League

1. Cockburn is not NBA level. He's a 10-day contract guy. He doesnt move well outside the paint because he has terrible reaction time. He's just an offensive rebounder. If he can greatly improve his ability to play in drop coverage he could maybe be a 3rd center.
  2. Juzang is Rodney Hood without the other non-shooting skills that made us like Rodney Hood to start his career. If he can round out his game a bit he could have a chance.
  3. Usher needs like 3 years in the G-League/Overseas before he's ready for the NBA.
  4. Bolmaro is probably trash, but he's at least interesting trash. I don't think his 3pt shooting is that bad if open, it's just his lack of scoring ability. He's going to get a ton of shots blocked. Right now he's a lesser Ricky Rubio without the intangibles and without the go-to scoring moves.
  5. Butler doesnt have a chance to be anything outside of a solid backup PG. He isn;t a 2. His best skills are ball in hand.
I agree with all of this except the part about Cockburn. What I observed as the games went on is that he improved. After the first game in Salt Lake I said to myself "Oh my gawd this guy is horrible." It seemed like he had a lot better idea of where to be and how to be effective as things wound down in Vegas. I think he figured he didn't have to be the man and that he could be effective playing D, setting screens and rebounding. That being said I think he is the longest of long shots to make the regular season roster.

I agree with all of this except the part about Cockburn. What I observed as the games went on is that he improved. After the first game in Salt Lake I said to myself "Oh my gawd this guy is horrible." It seemed like he had a lot better idea of where to be and how to be effective as things wound down in Vegas. I think he figured he didn't have to be the man and that he could be effective playing D, setting screens and rebounding. That being said I think he is the longest of long shots to make the regular season roster.

Kofi Cockburn is a big lump of clay. Someone needs to teach him how to defend in the NBA, then we'll figure out if he can actually do it. Jazz went through this same process with Tony Bradley, and in the end Bradley couldn't do it.

Kofi Cockburn is a big lump of clay. Someone needs to teach him how to defend in the NBA, then we'll figure out if he can actually do it. Jazz went through this same process with Tony Bradley, and in the end Bradley couldn't do it.