What's new

Team USA fails again, but is anyone that surprised?

Should Kerr be out as the USA coach?

I'll admit I don't follow closely enough or care enough to know if he was only coaching this year or is expected to coach for the olympics as well.

I feel like NBA coaches see this is a tampering advantage, but if USA basketball was serious about winning they should probably get a dedicated coach who has the job 365 days a year or someone who coaches in FIBA instead of the NBA.

OTOH, if the NBA wants to continue to go with the "overwhelm them with talent" strategy, you probably need a respectable NBA coach to get the best guys to sign up. But they will only show up for the Olympics.

Lol, no one wants to coach USA basketball now?? That’s that’s ridiculous
The man has 4 rings. I wouldnt just write him off after one bad showing with a young group w/ their first time together. Building continuity is kind of important for these things and why international teams are able to beat us.

Using no one 30 or over the best possible team would have been:

Fox
Booker
Tatum
Brown
Bam

With a bench of Edwards/Mitchell/Ingram/Jackson/Haliburton

Maybe sub out Mitchell/Ingram for guys who are proven role players like Bridges/Gordon
Funny thing I have actually been thinking about this a lot over the past few days

PG - Ball, Haliburton, Fox
SG - Booker, Brown. Edwards
SF - Tatum, Bridges, Ingram
PF - Mobley, JJJ, Banchero
C - Embiid*, Adebayo, Allen

* I do see that Embiid has US citizenship and he is right now 29.

PG - Morant should be on this list but with his problems off the court I do not see them extending an offer. I like Ball starting because of his size and his 37% shooting from 3 will help. I was back and forth on Trae Young but again I can not dismiss what is said about him. Haliburton could also start with his shooting. Fox is just the perfect change of speed type of backup.

SG - Booker is the guy hands down and should be on the roster. Brown with his defense is also needed. Ant has shown he deserves to be there. Jamal Murray is also an option as is DM but I have these 3 rated in front of those 2.

SF - Tatum is the best SF in the NBA right now. Bridges has shown he belongs and his defense is greatly needed. Ingram is the one I went back and forth on as he is super soft. His size does create a nice mismatch but he didn't do great on the team this year. Scottie Barnes is a nice and upcoming player who could fit well here. Devin Vassell is also intriguing.

PF - This was the hardest of the positions to figure. I really like JJJ starting but I had Mobley start for his defense and switchability with the Euro bigs. I had Randle rated pretty high I just do not like his defense and if you keep Banchero on the US roster that will keep him away from the Italians. Zion has to be mentioned here but I figure he will be injured again so would not be able to play. He could have a place on the US roster if he was healthy.

C - You can see my asterisk for Embiid but Adebayo and Allen are solid backups that can play with Euro bigs. If Embiid is not healthy then go with Wendell Carter or Robert Williams. I like Kessler too if he is used and will make practice easier as he can play that bruising big.

Funny thing I have actually been thinking about this a lot over the past few days

PG - Ball, Haliburton, Fox
SG - Booker, Brown. Edwards
SF - Tatum, Bridges, Ingram
PF - Mobley, JJJ, Banchero
C - Embiid*, Adebayo, Allen

* I do see that Embiid has US citizenship and he is right now 29.

PG - Morant should be on this list but with his problems off the court I do not see them extending an offer. I like Ball starting because of his size and his 37% shooting from 3 will help. I was back and forth on Trae Young but again I can not dismiss what is said about him. Haliburton could also start with his shooting. Fox is just the perfect change of speed type of backup.

SG - Booker is the guy hands down and should be on the roster. Brown with his defense is also needed. Ant has shown he deserves to be there. Jamal Murray is also an option as is DM but I have these 3 rated in front of those 2.

SF - Tatum is the best SF in the NBA right now. Bridges has shown he belongs and his defense is greatly needed. Ingram is the one I went back and forth on as he is super soft. His size does create a nice mismatch but he didn't do great on the team this year. Scottie Barnes is a nice and upcoming player who could fit well here. Devin Vassell is also intriguing.

PF - This was the hardest of the positions to figure. I really like JJJ starting but I had Mobley start for his defense and switchability with the Euro bigs. I had Randle rated pretty high I just do not like his defense and if you keep Banchero on the US roster that will keep him away from the Italians. Zion has to be mentioned here but I figure he will be injured again so would not be able to play. He could have a place on the US roster if he was healthy.

C - You can see my asterisk for Embiid but Adebayo and Allen are solid backups that can play with Euro bigs. If Embiid is not healthy then go with Wendell Carter or Robert Williams. I like Kessler too if he is used and will make practice easier as he can play that bruising big.
Yeah, I don't think America has ever naturalized (is that the term) like Embiid. I think it would be highly criticized if they took one of the best international players and let him play on Team USA.

I think a bigger question than is anyone surprised would be does anyone care.

Yeah, I don't think America has ever naturalized (is that the term) like Embiid. I think it would be highly criticized if they took one of the best international players and let him play on Team USA.
A native of Cameroon who also holds French citizenship, Embiid was sworn in two weeks ago in Philadelphia as an American citizen. “I've been here for a long time,” Embiid told The Associated Press on Thursday at training camp at The Citadel. “My son is American.Sep 29, 2022