What's new

Teams that are likely buyers before trade deadline

sip

2024 Prediction Contest Winner
There really are a lot of teams that should be buyers based on star players being in win now mode but a lot of them are asset poor when it comes to making a deal. It feels like there are more underperforming teams this year than ever before but that also means the playoff picture is a lot more open than in most years.

Suns- We have already talked about them quite a bit. They should be buyer and have the contracts and picks to make something happen if they want.

Warriors- They may be buyers but they may also feel like if they just get Wiggins and Curry healthy they are just fine with Divicenzo and some of their younger guys figuring some things out. Adding a stretch big like Olynyk could make a lot of sense for them though. They definitely have a few young pieces that interest me but I'm not sure they are willing move them.

Blazers- With Lillard at his current age and Jerami Grant being a pending free agent I think they will feel pressure to try and add some quality depth. They owe a future pick to Chicago with years of protections so they can't trade an outright 1st. With that being the case I don't see how they make any type of move besides possibly Josh Hart for a bigger wing. I don't see any type of deal with them that makes sense because I can't imagine they make Sharpe available but if they did I would be willing to pay big time.

Clippers- They may be the one team that may have some interest in Conley if he goes on a hot stretch. They are in 100% win now mode and may view a steady vet like Conley as a big upgrade over Reggie Jackson. With John Wall as the backup they are also in a good position to keep Conley around 24 minutes a game which should keep him fresh. Something built around Reggie Jackson and Robert Covington for Conley makes sense. We would want some type of asset coming though and ideally it would be pick swap this year. The clippers get the worst of the thunder and clippers pick so maybe we get the option of swapping the nets or philly pick for whatever pick the clippers get. I would also have some interest in BJ Boston and Moussa Diabate if the pick swap was a no go. Then you just waive Jackson who will be a free agent. Covington on the other hand could be one of those guys that you can rehab value out of.

Chicago- There own pick is top 4 protected to the magic so they have no incentive to tank. They have a bunch of vets that are more so win now pieces. They have a couple young guys in Patrick Williams and Ayo but they are contributing and should be viewed as part of the future. Right now the one trade piece of interest is the Portland 1st rd pick which is lottery protected for the next 6 years. I could see them having a lot of interest Vanderbilt and his contract is really easy to matchup. We have already talked about Lonzo for Conley a little bit on this board as well but we would definitely need some kind of asset coming back in that situation.

Toronto- The raptors are struggling big time and I'm not sure what the problem is. I think a guy like Olynyk would be a good fit with them because of his shooting and passing. They also have longer defensive players to offset his poor defense. I think overall he would be a pretty big upgrade over Boucher who would have to be the contract coming back. I feel like Boucher is a lesser player than Olynyk at this point and he has one more year on his contract than Olynyk. I'm having a hard time bridging that value gap because I doubt Masai would be willing to give up a lottery protected 1st.

Who else do you view as possible buyers going into the trade deadline?

There really are a lot of teams that should be buyers based on star players being in win now mode but a lot of them are asset poor when it comes to making a deal. It feels like there are more underperforming teams this year than ever before but that also means the playoff picture is a lot more open than in most years.

Suns- We have already talked about them quite a bit. They should be buyer and have the contracts and picks to make something happen if they want.

Warriors- They may be buyers but they may also feel like if they just get Wiggins and Curry healthy they are just fine with Divicenzo and some of their younger guys figuring some things out. Adding a stretch big like Olynyk could make a lot of sense for them though. They definitely have a few young pieces that interest me but I'm not sure they are willing move them.

Blazers- With Lillard at his current age and Jerami Grant being a pending free agent I think they will feel pressure to try and add some quality depth. They owe a future pick to Chicago with years of protections so they can't trade an outright 1st. With that being the case I don't see how they make any type of move besides possibly Josh Hart for a bigger wing. I don't see any type of deal with them that makes sense because I can't imagine they make Sharpe available but if they did I would be willing to pay big time.

Clippers- They may be the one team that may have some interest in Conley if he goes on a hot stretch. They are in 100% win now mode and may view a steady vet like Conley as a big upgrade over Reggie Jackson. With John Wall as the backup they are also in a good position to keep Conley around 24 minutes a game which should keep him fresh. Something built around Reggie Jackson and Robert Covington for Conley makes sense. We would want some type of asset coming though and ideally it would be pick swap this year. The clippers get the worst of the thunder and clippers pick so maybe we get the option of swapping the nets or philly pick for whatever pick the clippers get. I would also have some interest in BJ Boston and Moussa Diabate if the pick swap was a no go. Then you just waive Jackson who will be a free agent. Covington on the other hand could be one of those guys that you can rehab value out of.

Chicago- There own pick is top 4 protected to the magic so they have no incentive to tank. They have a bunch of vets that are more so win now pieces. They have a couple young guys in Patrick Williams and Ayo but they are contributing and should be viewed as part of the future. Right now the one trade piece of interest is the Portland 1st rd pick which is lottery protected for the next 6 years. I could see them having a lot of interest Vanderbilt and his contract is really easy to matchup. We have already talked about Lonzo for Conley a little bit on this board as well but we would definitely need some kind of asset coming back in that situation.

Toronto- The raptors are struggling big time and I'm not sure what the problem is. I think a guy like Olynyk would be a good fit with them because of his shooting and passing. They also have longer defensive players to offset his poor defense. I think overall he would be a pretty big upgrade over Boucher who would have to be the contract coming back. I feel like Boucher is a lesser player than Olynyk at this point and he has one more year on his contract than Olynyk. I'm having a hard time bridging that value gap because I doubt Masai would be willing to give up a lottery protected 1st.

Who else do you view as possible buyers going into the trade deadline?
The Heat. They have a bunch of injuries right now.

Lebron is getting a bit more egregious with his complaints. Even if it isn't a great idea, I still think the Lakers might be open to a 1 FRP deal.

Lebron is getting a bit more egregious with his complaints. Even if it isn't a great idea, I still think the Lakers might be open to a 1 FRP deal.
It’s a fantastic idea. Give them whatever they need to pass us and the Timberwolves and let us have a pick. We can then root for them to get bumped from the play-in.

It’s a fantastic idea. Give them whatever they need to pass us and the Timberwolves and let us have a pick. We can then root for them to get bumped from the play-in.
Yeah it's gets dicey though since we can't trade for Beverly and we don't want Westbrook and though expensive he still provides value for him. Nunn is their other trade piece with non-minimum money but it's only ~5mill. I don't see them/Lebron being as high on Vando as the piece to make the move for.

I mostly just hope they're buyers with somebody to move them up the standings (and then flame out in the playin)

Yeah it's gets dicey though since we can't trade for Beverly and we don't want Westbrook and though expensive he still provides value for him. Nunn is their other trade piece with non-minimum money but it's only ~5mill. I don't see them/Lebron being as high on Vando as the piece to make the move for.

I mostly just hope they're buyers with somebody to move them up the standings (and then flame out in the playin)
Take Westbrook and waive him.

Take Westbrook and waive him.
Westbrook has been great for them so trading him isn't a need like many thought prior to the season. Really the only 2 tradeable contracts for us in any deal are Nunn and Walker.

Westbrook has been great for them so trading him isn't a need like many thought prior to the season. Really the only 2 tradeable contracts for us in any deal are Nunn and Walker.
he hasn't been great - not even close. 41% FGs, 28% 3pt, an abysmal 49% TS and a negative plus/minus. he's had his moments, which is why this narrative had been pushed out there, but overall, he certainly hasn't been great, and you'd be hard pressed to call what he's done as just good. he's been average at best, leaning toward poor.

I would throw out Memphis and New Orleans as potential buyers for guys like Clarkson or Beasley.

he hasn't been great - not even close. 41% FGs, 28% 3pt, an abysmal 49% TS and a negative plus/minus. he's had his moments, which is why this narrative had been pushed out there, but overall, he certainly hasn't been great, and you'd be hard pressed to call what he's done as just good. he's been average at best, leaning toward poor.
He has been really good off the bench for them. He is giving them consistent production and always brings energy. He is not a guy that they are simply looking to dump anymore like we were hearing in the offseason and the beginning of the year.

I would throw out Memphis and New Orleans as potential buyers for guys like Clarkson or Beasley.
The griz are still sitting on that Danny Green contract to help initiate a trade. I think they should be interested in adding a scorer off the bench so Clarkson or Beasley fits the bill. I would think they would be pretty open to trading this years 1st since it would likely be in the late 20's and they are already stacked with unproven youngsters. They are also firmly in the contender category this season. I would prefer a future 1st though rather than one this year.

The griz are still sitting on that Danny Green contract to help initiate a trade. I think they should be interested in adding a scorer off the bench so Clarkson or Beasley fits the bill. I would think they would be pretty open to trading this years 1st since it would likely be in the late 20's and they are already stacked with unproven youngsters. They are also firmly in the contender category this season. I would prefer a future 1st though rather than one this year.

Yeah, Green plus a first is what we are likely looking at. I’d do it for sure.

He does provide very necessary ball handling off the bench for them however.

I do wonder if a Conley/Clarkson/Olynyk for Westbrook/1st gets any traction. Conley is a good bench ball handling replacement for Westbrook, though injury and age concerns on that cursed team is rough. Without an extension Clarkson doesn't have as much value to them and Olynyk stock is low again, so I have my doubts that they'd net a high upside unprotected pick, but I also am wrong about most things. I know they wanted cap space for this off-season, but maybe they get desperate for a deal with multiple pieces as Lebron gets frustrated.

Id do it for Clarkson, but I am slightly higher on Beasley than a 25+ pick this year. Id trade him for a future top 10 protected pick from them.
It would likely be a GS or Memphis pick next year. We have 3 picks already this year and may have zero picks next year.

I’d trade one or both JC/Malik for a first… you likely won’t get good firsts… but as long as they are relatively free from protections then that is solid enough. Just want certainty as to when they convey.