What's new

Ten Day Contracts

homeytennis

Can start to be offered on Monday. Perhaps could we see some folks cut or traded and some brought in to shore up the Jazz after the Burks surgery?

Can start to be offered on Monday. Perhaps could we see some folks cut or traded and some brought in to shore up the Jazz after the Burks surgery?

And after Christopher's injury. I thought there was something there with him.

And after Christopher's injury. I thought there was something there with him.
SO what is the rule in the NBA. Can they release a player who is injured to create roster space? I know in the NFL you have to reach an injury settlement.

SO what is the rule in the NBA. Can they release a player who is injured to create roster space? I know in the NFL you have to reach an injury settlement.

Not sure what the rules are. I know for example the Cav's got a salary cap exception for Varejao's injury just recently.

The Jazz have to do something at PG to push Burke since Exum isn't ready yet. If it takes some 10 day contract guys, then so be it. Gal Mekel would be a guy I'd look at, right along with Seth Curry. I don't know if they'd help at all, but I'd sure as heck take a look at both of them.

As much as I've been supporting the "take it slow" plan with Exum, it might just be time to take the training wheels off. Go with Exum, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Hood (once he's healthy) in the starting lineup and then see what Trey and Enes do off the bench for awhile.

Not sure what the rules are. I know for example the Cav's got a salary cap exception for Varejao's injury just recently.

IINM, Jazz are still $4M under the cap. My concern was more about roster space. Once a player is deemed out for the rest of the year, does that open up a roster spot or does that player still count against the 15-player limit? Don't think there is an "injured reserve" in the NBA.

IINM, Jazz are still $4M under the cap. My concern was more about roster space. Once a player is deemed out for the rest of the year, does that open up a roster spot or does that player still count against the 15-player limit? Don't think there is an "injured reserve" in the NBA.

Don't need NBA teams keeping the likes of Tonya Harding gainfully employed/contracted.

The Jazz have to do something at PG to push Burke since Exum isn't ready yet. If it takes some 10 day contract guys, then so be it. Gal Mekel would be a guy I'd look at, right along with Seth Curry. I don't know if they'd help at all, but I'd sure as heck take a look at both of them.

Yes. Gal Mekel will be perfect.

As much as I've been supporting the "take it slow" plan with Exum, it might just be time to take the training wheels off. Go with Exum, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Hood (once he's healthy) in the starting lineup and then see what Trey and Enes do off the bench for awhile.

I like both of these players. I wish the Jazz would trade Burke's and just start Exum. Bring in one of these guys and then see what happens. Jazz aren't going anywhere this year. I was one of the few people who where not a big fan of the Burke' draft pick so my tolerance was limited from the beginning but I've seen enough of him to see him as a backup PG in the NBA.

I like both of these players. I wish the Jazz would trade Burke's and just start Exum. Bring in one of these guys and then see what happens. Jazz aren't going anywhere this year. I was one of the few people who where not a big fan of the Burke' draft pick so my tolerance was limited from the beginning but I've seen enough of him to see him as a backup PG in the NBA.

Then why trade him and get a free agent scrub backup? Just start Exum and bring Trey off the bench. If you were going to do that, now would be great because Trey would HAVE to understand the move.

Just going to point out that Mekel couldn't beat Jimmer out of a spot in New Orleans.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest Jimmer fan, but he does have an NBA skill. Wouldn't mind having a PG who can shoot threes if he's not going to pass or defend. Trey has potential as a reserve, but he's not an NBA starter. Gal Mekel might not have beaten Jimmer for a job this offseason, but I'm pretty sure Patrick Beverly got beaten out a few times before landing with the Rockets. You give him a chance and let him succeed or fail on his own. I doubt much comes out of signing anyone other than Trey gets benched for his poor play without putting Exum in the lineup before he's ready.

Then why trade him and get a free agent scrub backup? Just start Exum and bring Trey off the bench. If you were going to do that, now would be great because Trey would HAVE to understand the move.

I could live with this, but I don't think it aligns with their plan to develop Exum. They're taking it slow for a reason. I don't want them to rush the timetable just to get Trey out of the lineup.

I could live with this, but I don't think it aligns with their plan to develop Exum. They're taking it slow for a reason. I don't want them to rush the timetable just to get Trey out of the lineup.

Obviously I am not in the practices, so I don't know what is happening there, but Bringing in Exum in a limited starter role would seem prudent at this point as it would help him AND Trey. Trey could even play more minutes. With our two guard problem, we need someone who can hit the outside shot and Exum is more capable than Trey at doing that right now. It would also seem that Exum is growing too comfortable in his role as a spot up shooter. He needs his cheese to be moved. Consequently, I would also Bring in Gobert as a starter although not necessarily give him a lot more minutes. He just changes the game too much to be sitting on the bench. Kanter CAN make a difference, but Gobert does it every time.

I don't disagree with any of this. I think that the Jazz should add a couple of guys to the roster and then work Gobert, Exum and Hood into bigger roles. I'm not going to scapegoat Trey Burke. He's tryinv to lead, but his shooting, defense and decision making have been atrocious. I still think that he'll be a decent reserve, but he's trying too hard and Exum really isn't the guy to push him to the bench. They have a plan for his development and they don't want to rush that. I'm fine with that. But they need to solve Burke's issues before it hurts team morale and chemistry. I thought that they should have brought over Neto or traded for Jeremy Linfor these reasons exactly. In fact, Lin would be a guy that I'd look at going after. I don't give them any picks unless they take Novak, but it would solve a couple of issues for this year without hampering the future.

Homey new thread idea...

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine
Hearing that Quin Snyder's Utah Jazz have Elijah Millsap of the Bakersfield Jam in their sights for a @nbadleague callup

Homey new thread idea...

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine
Hearing that Quin Snyder's Utah Jazz have Elijah Millsap of the Bakersfield Jam in their sights for a @nbadleague callup

Now that his shot is better it would be interesting to see him play some SF. If he played that position he wouldn't be too much of a tweener. Anyone think he's a better defender than Paul's?