This pick sucks?

• Yes

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • BIG YES

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • No

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters
Sample size. Silly of you to decide a 19 year old who took all of 27 3s will not be able to develop that part of his game. Even if he were 0-27, it would tell us very little about his future as a shooter.

So what's sillier, calling him a stretch four when he obviously can't shoot as of now, or being skeptical about him as a shooter? I never said anything about him not being able to develop that part of his game. What's silly is assuming that he will become a stretch 4, just because his form looks good, when so far, he can't hit the broad side of a barn.
My comments were addressing the assertion that he's the perfect fit as a stretch 4. As of now, that just simply isn't true.

So what's sillier, calling him a stretch four when he obviously can't shoot as of now, or being skeptical about him as a shooter? I never said anything about him not being able to develop that part of his game. What's silly is assuming that he will become a stretch 4, just because his form looks good, when so far, he can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I don't think anybody is assuming that will happen. I think people, fans and Jazz FO, have hope it will happen.

I was actually getting pretty excited about Oubre. I think we are going to regret passing on him.

Lyles hit 25 of 40 3 pt attempts in his workout for the jazz.
The only draft review I can find so far gives the Jazz an A+ for the selection
And what were our draft grades for Snyder and Humphries?
I remember a LOT of A's on that draft.

Also think we were commended for trading up for the other Trey. He was rated highly coming out of college.

And what were our draft grades for Snyder and Humphries?
I remember a LOT of A's on that draft.

Also think we were commended for trading up for the other Trey. He was rated highly coming out of college.

To be fair Snyder would probably have been pretty solid if he hadn't turned out to be nuts.

I guess I missed the post where somebody said he was the perfect fit as a stretch 4. My apologies.

Lol, I was just about to repost that comment for you. No worries. For the record, I really want to believe in DL and hope we are all wrong about Lyles, but he really is exactly what I didn't want, which is a guy who needs to be taught how to shoot. I'd probably feel a lot better about it if he was really good at anything else. Right now, it seems that his basketball IQ is his strongest selling point. I'm the type that believes in keeping an open mind, but this pick has me nervous, and I can't help it.

Lol, I was just about to repost that comment for you. No worries. For the record, I really want to believe in DL and hope we are all wrong about Lyles, but he really is exactly what I didn't want, which is a guy who needs to be taught how to shoot. I'd probably feel a lot better about it if he was really good at anything else. Right now, it seems that his basketball IQ is his strongest selling point. I'm the type that believes in keeping an open mind, but this pick has me nervous, and I can't help it.
Gotcha. I don't think we're all that far apart on him, to be honest.

He's definitely a huge upgrade over Evans. The team needs depth, I don't hate the pick... Our players need to make progress this offseason though.

Well, Utah just drafted a guy who doesn't fill any immediate need,
I disagree.
The jazz didn't have many needs but one of the small needs that they did have was a backup big since they only had 3 total bigs

A slightly more athletic Kanter who isn't stupid (and from what I hear, Lyles is actually smart) and at least gives a damn on defense is a really good player.

A slighthy more athletic Kanter and defensive good play means he is a potential superstar which doesnt explain why he went 12. I dont think he has offensive potential anything close to Kanter. But he better be good defensively otherwise he will be a bust.

A huge project. Most rookies are, but Lyles is maybe the biggest reach in the lottery...we're assuming he'll have "no problem" adjusting to the NBA three because his form is good. There's a HUGE difference shooting 14% in college to being a stretch-4 who can shoot 38% from NBA distance.

I hope so.
His physical immaturity is obvious. And looking at the bright side, he shows some basketball iq on those highlights i have seen. We need a team player to fit in snyders plan. Looking forward to see this guy fit in.

I'm pretty convinced this dude is a head case. MY guess is he didn't do well in interviews with the Jazz.

Draft night on LIVE TV interview he was still spewing that "Imma bringing' Championship to whichever team I play for" nonsense.

I'm starting to think he truly believes it which is pretty alarming in and of itself.

Because Lyles is a knock-down shooter from beyond the arc?
When Lyles comes in at the 4, Favors gets doubled inside and teams completely ignore Trey.

This is a complete lie by DL and QS. They've been saying we need shooters to stretch the floor. Derrick Favors and Trevor Booker have better range than Lyles. IF the Jazz want to compete, Lyles will ride the pine and HOPEFULLY develop into a serviceable PF in 2 years.
Lyles is a very good shot.
Yes, I know the percentages at UK suggest otherwise, but the sample size is dreadfully small and everyone that has followed his career knows he's got a great stroke. I won't try to convince anyone of the fact, but just saying he's way better than you think.
He's basically good at everything and great at nothing.. But 19 with very good size for his skilset. The potential to be very good is there. He can become a lethal stretch 4.. Or bust.
Relax, there were no obvious upgrades for potential on the board and certainly no one that was going to crack the starting line up.

Lyles is a very good shot.
Yes, I know the percentages at UK suggest otherwise, but the sample size is dreadfully small and everyone that has followed his career knows he's got a great stroke. I won't try to convince anyone of the fact, but just saying he's way better than you think.
He's basically good at everything and great at nothing.. But 19 with very good size for his skilset. The potential to be very good is there. He can become a lethal stretch 4.. Or bust.
Relax, there were no obvious upgrades for potential on the board and certainly no one that was going to crack the starting line up.

How does he compare to Patrick Patterson?