What's new

Th Climate Change Thread

That is exactly what LogGrad wrote and he expanded on it to make sure his point wasn't missed.

You endorsed his thought with your up vote. LogGrad essentially said that humans have never created anything, no music, no art, no architecture, that we consume and destroy everything we touch. He sees all humans including my kid and the kids of Fish's coworkers as exclusively vile, as "a virus on the planet", and calls for all of them to be eliminated.

That is the thought you up voted. LogGrad was not saying the Earth wouldn't miss us.
And BTW, on at least one other prior occasion, and possibly two, but I clearly recall once prior, LogGrad98 expressed similar sentiments. It struck me at the time, I don’t know this person, but I had the exact same sense of things then, as this time. I recall thinking, “this person cares very strongly about this”, the very opposite of how you chose to respond, or so it seems as I think about it. I don’t give up all hope, because I have other beliefs in humanity that lift me up, but I get where all that may have been coming from, and so did my sympathy. There was never any reason for me to assume the worst of anyone because they’re obviously affected by what the world may be going through, seems to be going though, without strong signs that we are not going to avoid learning the hard way. That can breed despair in some of us. I don’t think you had to steer the discussion in this direction. It was not called for, frankly. Just to satisfy your need to, well, whatever needs you’re satisfying.

I’m all for implanting a chip in humans upon their birth that prevents them from being able to procreate.

It can only be removed if certain criteria are met. Certain education, employment, and/or judicial requirements.
Jokingly I'm for that, but not in reality. I think maybe 1 out of 10 parents do I think are decent parents.

Kids are good for the economy. 1 child policy in China was terrible for many reasons but it's hurting their economy and they realized it too late.

Jokingly I'm for that, but not in reality. I think maybe 1 out of 10 parents do I think are decent parents.

Kids are good for the economy. 1 child policy in China was terrible for many reasons but it's hurting their economy and they realized it too late.

If we’ve gotten to the point where we do things for the good of the economy it’s probably already too late.

I get it. People need jobs. Income. The world has become increasingly expensive. But it wasn’t like this once. Not 100 years ago. Hell, not even 50 years ago. As a country and probably as a world, all principles and ethics went out the window.

If we’ve gotten to the point where we do things for the good of the economy it’s probably already too late.

I get it. People need jobs. Income. The world has become increasingly expensive. But it wasn’t like this once. Not 100 years ago. Hell, not even 50 years ago. As a country and probably as a world, all principles and ethics went out the window.

Unfettered greed has taken over as the pie increasingly becomes owned by the rich.

Old man rant...

But yeah...

I don't think for a second that ecologically sound practices are behind price increases, corporations claim they are as an excuse to profiteer. Its two fold really, there might be a 2 percent cost to embrace green practices which corporations don't want but they then pass those off at 10 to 15 percent premium for consumers and blame environmental requirements as a cover for their greed.

An aluminum can buy back scheme was recently announced here, funded by the state government, as soon as it came into force the cost of cans went up 4 to 5 dollars a carton. Despite the fact that costs to manufactures was basically non existent.

The two major supermarket chains that control between them about 80 percent of the grocery market here used the war in Ukraine and sanctions against Russia as an excuse to increase prices across the board on grocery items. Outside of vodka and caviar our direct trade with Russia as a country would be negligible at best, but prices spiked, a predicted increase in energy prices and disruption to the wheat trade were blamed. Funny that these costs were passed to consumers in the first few days of the conflict well ahead of any potential future cost increases would actually filter into the supply chain.

Sorry Keefe, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

4_children_for_sale_1948.jpg

You’re picking a pic from during the Great Depression as your proof?
What clearly seems to be a staged picture at that, very likely not from the era it is depicting.

Unless I'm an *** and this is a well known picture that has been verified to be legitimate and sometime later that same day those kids were taken by a single man, 32 years old, for the tidy sum of $3.75.

And this is a great example of how, if scientists know how to ask the correct questions, it can lead to discoveries that otherwise might be missed.

“Scientists who sequenced the genomes of octopus populations in both the Weddell and Ross Seas found evidence of ancestral gene flow between the two populations roughly 70,000 years ago, suggesting that "ancient seaways were likely opened across the West Antarctic Ice Sheet".

"[This] could only be facilitated by West Antarctic Ice Sheet collapse during past interglacials," they write.

If it happened then, it could very well happen again, especially since global temperatures are reaching a similar threshold today.

At the moment, scientists don't really know whether West Antarctica is at risk of fully collapsing due to the climate crisis. It's one of the major uncertainties left to solve in climate models.

While some experts warned of disaster in the region as far back as 50 years ago, other climate models made just 10 years ago predicted no significant ice loss in Antarctica within the century.

How wrong that turned out to be.

Today, West Antarctica is discharging melting icebergs the size of major metropolises much faster than the rest of the continent”.

Last edited:
We pre purchased 3 tickets for the zoo to be used this week but aren't going due to the poor air quality.
I dont want my family walking around in that horrible air for 3 hours. Especially while my wife is congested already.
We just decided to consider it a donation to the zoo lol.

We pre purchased 3 tickets for the zoo to be used this week but aren't going due to the poor air quality.
I dont want my family walking around in that horrible air for 3 hours. Especially while my wife is congested already.
We just decided to consider it a donation to the zoo lol.
I miss all the snow from last year. Even just a couple inches once a week would be great. I always feel like I have a cold when it gets like this.

I miss all the snow from last year. Even just a couple inches once a week would be great. I always feel like I have a cold when it gets like this.
Me too as far as wishing it would snow more. Luckily, I have felt great all winter so far. Not my daughter or wife though.

I kind of concede november, december, january, and february to the weather and dont take any vacation time and dont fish much or do much outside during those 4 months so I want it to snow all 4 of those months so the other 8 months of the year are perfect. Which they are in utah when we get enough snow imo.

Despite such warning sounds, be interesting to see the results of a Trump win, and the abandonment of environmental regulations.

Last edited:

Despite such warning sounds, be interesting to see the results of a Trump win, and the abandonment of environmental regulations.

He has said he plans on giving big tax breaks to oil, coal, etc companies.

He gonna be dead soon anyway and he doesn't care about anyone else so it makes sense from his perspective

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk