What's new

The addiction struggles of Alema Harrington.......

Duck Rodgers

Thought this was interesting and relevant since he works the Jazz broadcasts now of course:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...and-his-mission-in-helping-other-addicts.html

For many people Alema Harrington was the former BYU football player, or the son of a legendary Hawaiian athlete/TV actor, or the genial KSL-TV weekend sports anchor or the host of sports talk radio or the elder’s quorum president of his Mormon ward or a father and husband.

But he was/is one more thing they didn’t know about: A drug addict.

He led a double life.

He fooled almost everyone.

Affable, conversant, well-groomed and handsome, he has maintained a presence in Salt Lake City’s sports media for years. But behind the big smile, behind the direct gaze into the camera and the polished delivery, there has been an internal war raging.

Read this last night. Good read. A couple years back Doug had written an article about my grandma reuniting with her son she adopted 62 years earlier.

I didn't realize who "Alema" was at first.

alema%20head%20shot.jpg

Always good to include a pic in the OP. In fact, I prefer a link, then a pic then a small quote from the article when starting an OP. But I realize everyone can't be an outstanding OP.

I found the Alema story interesting and surprising. I wouldn't have guessed he was dealing with that.

The comment about the grandma and the adopted son left me completely confused. What did that have to do with anything? I don't even know what the grandma story is.

I found the Alema story interesting and surprising. I wouldn't have guessed he was dealing with that.

The comment about the grandma and the adopted son left me completely confused. What did that have to do with anything? I don't even know what the grandma story is.

Doug wrote a story about life experiences and redemption about Alema. It was a good read. I made a side comment that he had written a similar story a couple years ago about my grandmother.

Doug wrote both stories. Infection was pointing out that Doug Robinson writes good human interest stories, including one that related to him personally. I don't see what's so confusing about that.

I didn't realize who "Alema" was at first.

alema%20head%20shot.jpg

Always good to include a pic in the OP. In fact, I prefer a link, then a pic then a small quote from the article when starting an OP. But I realize everyone can't be an outstanding OP.

That is my m.o.

Addiction is a bitch. Can destroy a person pretty quickly. It's nice to see people overcome it.

It's a tough hill to climb that is for sure. Watched my brother finally conquer heroin and meth. Went through this myself with prescription painkillers after my surgeries. It is a beast, and realistically it never leaves you.

I wonder if asked if most local residents would have thought that Thurl was more likely to be the addict.

I'd be way more stunned to find out Thurl was.