What's new

The Adjustment that Should be made but Won't

The Pearl

Contributor
It is too radical and outside the box for JOC but the move that could seriously improve the Jazz and provide the best opportunity for them to go deeper into the playoffs is to move and start Deron at the shooting guard position and have him receive the majority of his minutes there.

As I see it, this is a no brainer and has significant historical precedence. Plus this will extend Deron's career a few years.

JOC can paypal me a nice juicy consulting fee.

I thought about this scenario last night and thought it would be effective until DWill asks for a trade. It is Sloan's dream lineup with an undersized 2 guard.

I thought about this scenario last night and thought it would be effective until DWill asks for a trade. It is Sloan's dream lineup with an undersized 2 guard.

He will still get some minutes as the primary back up to Watson. My plan would not be to platoon him with CJ and platoon Watson with Price. That would be idiotic. I am thinking more the Dumar, Thomas, VJ rotation with Watson, CJ, Williams. Since you are the only real NBA historian on the board, you know that this is was actually standard operating procedure in the league for many years.

Well let's see. AK is playing out of his natural position, and for the most part sucking it up big time. AJ is playing outside his natural position and has taken a long time to get going and still has issues paired with Millsap as they end up undersized against most bigs. So yeah let's play yet another player out of position and see how that turns out. Heck let's have CJ start at center.

Well let's see. AK is playing out of his natural position, and for the most part sucking it up big time. AJ is playing outside his natural position and has taken a long time to get going and still has issues paired with Millsap as they end up undersized against most bigs. So yeah let's play yet another player out of position and see how that turns out. Heck let's have CJ start at center.

Again, wrong logic. The question isn't whether player x is playing out of position, it is whether by playing player x out of position the collective unit is better.

Oh really there has been conclusive results on this? Please share. I thought it was just you throwing **** against the wall hoping it would stick.

Your assumption is that Williams play making is going to drop significantly as a result of the move, this certainly not the case. There will be some drop off in terms of marginal involvement, but that drop off will mostly include the negative kind.

Watson and Williams are the two best guards the Jazz have and probably give them the best chance to start games with a formidable lineup. Or they can continue to plug in Raja Bell and hope that he can hit a shot, and maybe when he hits it, his toes will be behind the line. Right now, Bell is the biggest wreck of a player who has been given 30+ minutes a game for the Jazz in the past 25 years. He's making the McLeods and Palacios look like Dream Teamers. A three guard combo of Williams-Watson-Price, and at times Bell, really does give the Jazz their best chance at winning. They don't lose much in size, but they get better in speed and scoring. Where's the downside.

The Jazz don't have, and like won't ever get a Michael, Kobe, Drexler type of two guard: big and dominant, so they're going to have to make due and figure it out. Bell is not the answer. Williams and Watson might be, but it will take a lot of convincing for Sloan but even more for Williams.

Last edited:
How in the world is 50-year-old Earl Watson faster across halfcourt than Deron Williams?

It is too radical and outside the box for JOC but the move that could seriously improve the Jazz and provide the best opportunity for them to go deeper into the playoffs is to move and start Deron at the shooting guard position and have him receive the majority of his minutes there.

As I see it, this is a no brainer and has significant historical precedence. Plus this will extend Deron's career a few years.

JOC can paypal me a nice juicy consulting fee.

KOC already has me on retainer (https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=45u97ur), where NJ sends GS 2 1st (as we took on Outlaws contract) & GS has the option to swap 1st w/ IND.

Think of this trade has "Horny-Redux"

The fact is, Watson is faster across the timeline than Deron ... no doubt about it. Well, it's certainly worth giving it a try at least for portions of the game. If the other team matches up with a bigger lineup, then we put Deron back at the point and either CJ or Bell at SG. There is no doubt now though that Bell needs to have his minutes cut back, however it's done.

It is worth a try. I think you still need to start Deron at the PG for ego sake. but anything to get Bell out of the lineup would help.

It would be interesting to see what would happen. Deron shoots 36% from behind the arc and can hit shots from anywhere - he has a great mid-range shot. And Watson has run the starting point for Seattle and Indiana - the guy can dish.

One can argue Deron is an undersized SG, which is valid, but he's also 210 lbs and strong.

It would be something worth trying, since our SG problem is still ongoing.

There have been many similar arguments on this board. Many people, including myself, have said that DW should see at least 10 minutes a game at SG. I can see that number creeping toward 15, but I'd be shocked as hell if it ever got there or exceeded it.

The truth is, Deron can excel at that position. And, the Jazz need him there.

I still think he starts at PG; Hayward starts at SG; CJ starts at SF; Millsap at PF; AJ at C. After about 6 minutes I'd bring in Watson for Hayward, move DW to SG. Tell Watson to push push. Let Deron befuddle the defense with a new look. Then, don't let Deron play the ENTIRE 1st quarter. Sub him out with 2 minutes left (enter Raja or Price), and then re-insert him into PG for Watson after the first 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter. BTW, at the 6 minute mark or shortly thereafter I'd sub AK in for Millsap and significantly open up the offense... it's all about transition, and that lineup could do it. If things stall, then let AJ work at his glacial pace down on the block. (While I'm at it, someone please inform me: where the hell as Fesenko been?)