What's new

The Altar of Juwan Morgan

I was definitely intrigued and pleased but not sure how they’d fit in. It could have worked out really well, but it didn’t, just like any free agent signing. I thought the Davis deal was too much.
And, as it turned out, neither of them (nor Mudiay) have as much value as Morgan, Oni, or Brantley.

And, as it turned out, neither of them (nor Mudiay) have as much value as Morgan, Oni, or Brantley.

Yep and there’s no way you or I could have known that before hand. You guys assume I don’t like them or that I’m cheering against them. I’m just sharing my opinion concerning the players I would like to see us develop. If any of our projects turn into the scorers or complimentary players we need for Rudy and Donovan I’ll be ecstatic. I just want us to win.

Yep and there’s no way you or I could have known that before hand. You guys assume I don’t like them or that I’m cheering against them. I’m just sharing my opinion concerning the players I would like to see us develop. If any of our projects turn into the scorers or complimentary players we need for Rudy and Donovan I’ll be ecstatic. I just want us to win.
I’m not disagreeing with you anymore than you seem to be disagreeing with yourself. The FO played both hands—and you can only sign the complementary vets who are willing to sign.

Nope. You read way into what I’m saying. Drafting, player development, etc is a crapshoot in many regards. However, there are reasons guys are considered blue chip and others aren’t. I believe our development of players is good to great. Why not take the guys with the blue-chip measurements and develop them?

With money not really being an issue, I’d much rather work on and put effort into fixing a potential Ferrari or Porsche or Range Rover, etc than a Camry or an Accord, which aren’t bad cars, but the ceiling isn’t as high for them in my opinion.

I’m not completely against small school juniors and seniors and/G league diamonds, I’d rather see our development team work with more blue chippers.

I’m a big Seattle Seahawks fan and their draft philosophy for defensive backs is draft athletic, tall, fast guys 6’2” or so and teach them the position the way they want it played, even if they were a wide receiver or other position. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but when it works the DB’s are formidable.
Who. Names.

Early Juwan Morgan hypetrain crew checking in :p

I think Morgan is one of those players who would be solidly on an NBA roster if he was even a mediocre athlete.

Shame on me, he's a better athlete than I thought. Especially sliding his feet on defense.

I've always liked Morgan. I think if he can prove he can shoot 3s consistently he could replace Niang or Kidd next year.

Stanton Kidd feels like ages ago lol

I feel so much better about our roster with Morgan now. It seems crazy, but I just LOVE the versatility. He more than held his own against Jokic on the outside which allowed Rudy to stay in the paint. Having that kind of wrinkle on defense is just huge. He is an awesome 4/5 in today's league. Can't wait to see how Quin utilizes him the rest of the playoffs and going forward.

I get tired of this “diamond in the rough” mentality. We have 4-5 guys on our playoff roster who probably wouldn’t make other teams playoff rosters. It’s so frustrating. Why not add other minimum contract guys who have NBA playoff experience? Green didn’t workout, why not try someone else?
Also, every year there are highly recruited guys from Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc who go undrafted ie Gabriel Wenyen. I think we should focus on them rather than small school juniors and seniors.
Couldn’t disagree more. In a resource limited world, finding value is probably the most important aspect of team building.

Couldn’t disagree more. In a resource limited world, finding value is probably the most important aspect of team building.

You’re assuming that I don’t want value. I do; it just seems like we are putting a lot into guys who may or may not even be NBA level players. Again, I hope they all work out and become great. I don’t root against any Jazz players, though I do wonder about the playing time and I am convinced Niang is at most a 11-12 man, but we’re playing him as a 7th man. I get it’s due to injury and bubble stuff, but it’s frustrating to watch.

Maybe that’s what I’m really tired of is the feeling that Niang is being played even though it seems like we have better options. I’m sorry for creating contention when it’s my Niangophobia speaking.

I just realized we don't have a "Niang or NWG" type option on Morgan next year. We simply have to keep him. Extension talks hopefully are underway.

Great player. Smart, always does the right thing, unselfish, rebounds out of his area very well, can guard 2 to 4.

I just realized we don't have a "Niang or NWG" type option on Morgan next year. We simply have to keep him. Extension talks hopefully are underway.
Shouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing we can get him on a 4 year minimum type deal (Lu Dort had more buzz and he still took a minimum deal basically). He's played solidly in a very limited role... not someone that's going to get a big offer.

I assume it was something with his Exhibit 10 status that made it so we couldn't do a multiyear deal. Not too worried.