What's new

The best new for the Jazz during this free agent signing period...

oyster

The best news for the Jazz during this free agent signing period...

is simply that LA and NY are not the in vogue preferred destination for every free agent out there.

Yes, I realize the Jazz still haven't or will sign a big name this year but it appears that the playing field for free agents is now starting to level out. I have to think that because of social media and other factors a NBA superstar can be marketed from anywhere including Utah.

Not sure how NY not getting FA is a good thing for us. We should want some of the Western Conference FA talent to migrate over to the East. Them not being an alluring name to guy like Aldridge or Gasol hurts us.

The fact that Monroe dissed NY for Milwaukee is a small sign that the attitude may be changing as far as free agent destinations are concerned.

Not about marketing IMO. I believe players are avoiding Kobe and Melo. Kobe for sure. NY's problem may just be because their team is just not that attractive.

I think players are avoiding the Laker's FO and management more than Kobe.

I'm not buying it. Soon as Kobe retires, LA will have players lining up to be the next chapter in Lakerland. None of the young studs want a crotchety old Kobe telling them that he's still batman and they're robin.

Maybe and hopefully players are getting just a little smarter. They recognize bad and good situations more.

That's awesome if players are avoiding Kobe and Melo.

I'm not buying it. Soon as Kobe retires, LA will have players lining up to be the next chapter in Lakerland. None of the young studs want a crotchety old Kobe telling them that he's still batman and they're robin.

So you think Kobe being there 1 more year is what is driving people away? If people wanted to go to LA, putting up with Kobe for 1 year is no big deal. It's because they have so much disconnect and lack of vision in their front office and upper management is in constant disagreement. Also, pretty much everyone knows Jim Buss is incompetent.

Not about marketing IMO. I believe players are avoiding Kobe and Melo. Kobe for sure. NY's problem may just be because their team is just not that attractive.

I think you're making the OP's point. Players aren't just going to a destination. They are considering other factors like potential teammates. That's good news for small market teams.

this ..... and the fact they're being sold on it being LA rather than specifics about what they're doing with their program

So you think Kobe being there 1 more year is what is driving people away? If people wanted to go to LA, putting up with Kobe for 1 year is no big deal. It's because they have so much disconnect and lack of vision in their front office and upper management is in constant disagreement. Also, pretty much everyone knows Jim Buss is incompetent.

I don't think it's a sure thing Kobe is only doing 1 more year. I'm not sure players believe that either.

I think it's the possibility that it won't be only 1 year... plus everything else...

All these players are signing short deals. In two years they will be lining up to play with Randle and Russell. It sucks. Lakers are in GREAT shape.