What's new

The best new for the Jazz during this free agent signing period...

Nah.. I eat the fish I catch but I wouldn't eat locally picked oysters here in the summer.

The sexual inuendo is strong with this one.

0.jpg

So you think Kobe being there 1 more year is what is driving people away? If people wanted to go to LA, putting up with Kobe for 1 year is no big deal. It's because they have so much disconnect and lack of vision in their front office and upper management is in constant disagreement. Also, pretty much everyone knows Jim Buss is incompetent.

I think players know they can't win there. The team just isn't very impressive. If Russel turns into a stud then they will get FA's if not they probably won't.

So you think Kobe being there 1 more year is what is driving people away? If people wanted to go to LA, putting up with Kobe for 1 year is no big deal. It's because they have so much disconnect and lack of vision in their front office and upper management is in constant disagreement. Also, pretty much everyone knows Jim Buss is incompetent.

No doubt in my mind that LA will be the next Miami, just as soon as Kobe leaves. They will have a butt load of cap room next year and several significant FAs will team up in LA over the next 2 years. Hide and watch.

I think you're making the OP's point. Players aren't just going to a destination. They are considering other factors like potential teammates. That's good news for small market teams.

There have always been other factors involved, including money, winning situation, playing time, etc. When all things are equal, then LA is a more attractive place for young guys to live than somewhere like Minnesota or Milwaukee or even Utah, at least for most players. You also have guys who grow up dreaming of playing for a specific team, and unfortunately, the damn Lakers win that too. I don't believe that most guys are just as happy to play for Charlotte or Toronto, just because of modern marketing. Doesn't mean those teams can't draw FAs for some of the other reasons I've mentioned, but advantages/disadvantages still exist as they always have.
One thing I will agree with is that the playing field has leveled off, but I attribute that to the new CBA. Those fans who were so adamant that it wouldn't create parity have been proven wrong IMO.

Last edited:
There have always been other factors involved, including money, winning situation, playing time, etc. When all things are equal, then LA is a more attractive place for young guys to live than somewhere like Minnesota or Milwaukee or even Utah, at least for most players. You also have guys who grow up dreaming of playing for a specific team, and unfortunately, the damn Lakers win that too. I don't believe that most guys are just as happy to play for Charlotte or Toronto, just because of modern marketing. Doesn't mean those teams can't draw FAs for some of the other reasons I've mentioned, but advantages/disadvantages still exist as they always have.

Exactly. A big part of this is higher exposure = higher endorsement dollars. That is just economics there. Why settle for 5 years for 120 million when you can augment that with a few commercial spots for another 50 mill over 5. You can never have enough mills.

Exactly. A big part of this is higher exposure = higher endorsement dollars. That is just economics there. Why settle for 5 years for 120 million when you can augment that with a few commercial spots for another 50 mill over 5. You can never have enough mills.

Yes like Kevin Durant in OKC?

No doubt in my mind that LA will be the next Miami, just as soon as Kobe leaves. They will have a butt load of cap room next year and several significant FAs will team up in LA over the next 2 years. Hide and watch.

Well yeah, when Kobe leaves that opens up 25 million dollars. It's not a factor of the person Kobe, it's a factor of amount of $$$ available.

Well yeah, when Kobe leaves that opens up 25 million dollars. It's not a factor of the person Kobe, it's a factor of amount of $$$ available.

Well, I think you're wrong, and Dwight Howard agrees. Probably Shaq too. And Pau Gasol. Lakers have had money to spend for the last two years and have struck out. Kobe has always been a prick to deal with, but players were willing to put up with him when he was good enough to give them a shot at contending. Now that he's old and washed up, nobody is willing to put up with his my way or the highway BS. Kobe still wants to be the big dog, but his game can't back it up anymore.

It's not a factor of the person Kobe, it's a factor of amount of $$$ available.

Baxter Holmes
✔ ‎@BaxterHolmes

Kobe is asked about not being a great friend all the time.

His response: "Friends come and go but banners hang forever."

6:35 PM - 27 Jun 2015

Quote from Shaq:

Kobe stands up and goes face-to-face with me and says, "You always said you're my big brother, you'd do anything for me, and then this Colorado thing happens and you never even called me." I did call him. ... So here we are now, and we find out he really was hurt that we didn't stand behind him. That was something new. I didn't think he gave a rat's *** about us either way. "Well, I thought you'd publicly support me, at least," Kobe said. "You're supposed to be my friend." Brian Shaw chimed in with "Kobe, why would you think that? Shaq had all these parties and you never showed up for any of them. We invited you to dinner on the road and you didn't come. Shaq invited you to his wedding and you weren't there. Then you got married and didn't invite any of us. And now you are in the middle of this problem, this sensitive situation, and now you want all of us to step up for you. We don't even know you." ...

I think you're making the OP's point. Players aren't just going to a destination. They are considering other factors like potential teammates. That's good news for small market teams.

Especially small market teams that have ****ing Rudy Gobert as their franchise player. Once the Jazz start winning again, Utah become a much more attractive destination.

It is encouraging to no that both Favors and Burks resigned before they reached free agency probably knowing they were leaving money on the table. No doubt in my mind they get more money had they gone haywards route