What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Probably a better thread for this - but to folks on the ground in Utah - does it feel like the Lake is drying up?

I've seen some satellite photos, but unsure how accurate that is for the situation.
My sister was in town last fall and for whatever reason she wanted to go out to the lake. I haven't been out there since I was a kid, back when it was overflowing basically. It was obviously low. We were at the marina and it wasn't usable because the water was too low. There were some stairs you could walk down to get to the shore and the actual shore was a good 150m away from there.

In short, yeah, it was looking pretty pathetic.

I want to go back this summer and see the difference.

The lake has basically been on life support. Our decade-long drought has taken a terrible toll. Right now it has regained 3 feet due to all of our snow this winter and other efforts being taken. It's a start.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

Probably a better thread for this - but to folks on the ground in Utah - does it feel like the Lake is drying up?

I've seen some satellite photos, but unsure how accurate that is for the situation.
why wouldn’t the satellite photos you’ve seen be accurate?

Could be taken different times of year, your lake could just normally have a lot of year to year variation. Probably other reasons I don’t know.
Sounds good.

From what I’ve read, most don’t believe the legislature did nearly enough to address the problem. Although, we did have a really good winter. Not sure if it changes anything long-term wise. Last summer was the lowest I’d ever seen it. It made photography on the salt flats really bad. And the environmental and health impacts are insane. I’ve never seen so much dust from wind in my life. This is one of my biggest concerns living here. Not books or drag Queen story hour

Ben Abbott, BYU researcher, a guy I went to school with, is a solid follow on twitter
@thermokarst

This really makes no sense to me.

I mean for a private company to simply show support for some fellow human beings Trunptards get triggered? They are specifically against showing sympathy and humanity to the LGBTQ+ community? Can't just live and let live?

This is specifically why, when idiots like mongoose tell me I'm dumb for supporting the opposition to MAGA I know that I absolutely MUST oppose MAGA and that includes supporting their opposition. MAGA has made it crystal ****ing clear that I'm not, my beloved family members are not, included in their vision of a Great America.

Well, MAGA isn't part of my vision for a great America and I'll be happy when the last remnants of that ****ing hate movement is gone.

Maybe our electoral college system makes culture warriers like DeSantis a dangerous candidate. Dangerous, that is, if one does not think it’s a good course to promote reactionary historical forces imposing their world views on the rest of our nation, via the Supreme Court, via state assemblies, via the bigotry and intolerance of MAGA. But, in the long run, this gamble by DeSantis is doomed. Trouble in the short term, for sure, but Ron DeSantis is going to lose his cultural warfare. And the MTG’s of our nation will be a tossed away afterthought in the long run. This is not the model for our nation, and it is doomed to failure. Professors fleeing Florida public institutions of higher learning because academic freedom and tenure are now bad for the development of critical thinking skills? Is this guy nuts? You bet!

Last edited:
This really makes no sense to me.

I mean for a private company to simply show support for some fellow human beings Trunptards get triggered? They are specifically against showing sympathy and humanity to the LGBTQ+ community? Can't just live and let live?

This is specifically why, when idiots like mongoose tell me I'm dumb for supporting the opposition to MAGA I know that I absolutely MUST oppose MAGA and that includes supporting their opposition. MAGA has made it crystal ****ing clear that I'm not, my beloved family members are not, included in their vision of a Great America.

Well, MAGA isn't part of my vision for a great America and I'll be happy when the last remnants of that ****ing hate movement is gone.
Agreed.

The arrogance of it too bugs me. Literally everything they’re doing to the LGBT community COULD happen to them one day. They just assume that they’re always going to be the ones dictating to the LGBT community. The lack of empathy towards others is just really depressing. One would think we’d learn. Apparently not.

Btw, wasn’t that beer already purchased? Soooooooooo how is this hurting Bud lite? They’re selling beer and you’re giving them free advertising/attention. How are they being hurt in any of this? Reminds me of when MAGA burned Nike gear.

Former President Donald Trump gushed about Chinese leader Xi Jinping in an interview on Fox News, calling him a "brilliant man" and praising his good looks.

During a sit-down interview on Tuesday night, Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked Trump how smart he thinks Xi is.

Trump replied: "Top of the line."

"President Xi is a brilliant man. If you went all over Hollywood to look for somebody to play the role of President Xi, you couldn't find it. There's nobody like that. The look, the brain, the whole thing," said Trump.

The Tuesday interview is one of the many times Trump has lauded Xi, who was handed an unprecedented third term as China's president in March.

In a rally in Pennsylvania in September, he called both Xi and Russian President Vladimir Putin "fierce" and added that Xi was "smart" to rule China with an "iron fist."

LOL

Former President Donald Trump gushed about Chinese leader Xi Jinping in an interview on Fox News, calling him a "brilliant man" and praising his good looks.

During a sit-down interview on Tuesday night, Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked Trump how smart he thinks Xi is.

"President Xi is a brilliant man. If you went all over Hollywood to look for somebody to play the role of President Xi, you couldn't find it. There's nobody like that. The look, the brain, the whole thing," said Trump.

The Tuesday interview is one of the many times Trump has lauded Xi, who was handed an unprecedented third term as China's president in March.

In a rally in Pennsylvania in September, he called both Xi and Russian President Vladimir Putin "fierce" and added that Xi was "smart" to rule China with an "iron fist."

LOL
Trump the wannabe dictator. Man he is hung up on outward appearances, isn't he? I guess when you have no soul, you have to worry about how you look on camera a lot more.

Trump the wannabe dictator. Man he is hung up on outward appearances, isn't he? I guess when you have no soul, you have to worry about how you look on camera a lot more.
And when that's the way you see the world and interact with the world you assume that's how everyone else is doing it, too.

LOL
I don't even think most Chinese would describe him as either of these.

I don't even think most Chinese would describe him as either of these.
But did you get the impression that they genuinely like him as their "forever" leader, or is it more just a sort of resignation to the fact that there's nothing they can do about it and it could be a lot worse? Or something else?

But did you get the impression that they genuinely like him as their "forever" leader, or is it more just a sort of resignation to the fact that there's nothing they can do about it and it could be a lot worse? Or something else?
It depends what group you're talking about. Most Chinese don't talk politics at all so sometimes it's hard to know. They will just say how great China is. Well educated and more afluent Chinese generally really dislike him, unless they are government/CCP members. I think they average person seems to like him and think China is doing great because they are exposed to so much propoganda without any outside exposure. If there were democratic elections that were free I think he would win reelection in a landslide even versus the field. But he isn't regarded as being very smart. They do seem to think he's very strong person especially in dealing with foreign countries. Only recently with COVID and the economy is there much backlash towards him and I think people are a little concerned about his 3rd term generally and likely staying much longer.

LOL
One cannot follow this stuff and still support trump. You’re either dumber than rocks or spiritually and morally deficient. Trump is just such an empty husk of a human being.