What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

I could care less about Hunter Biden just as how I could care less about DJT Trump's sons and family.

Americans would be better served turning off all major networks who pump out sensationalism 24/7 as red meat for viewers.
I agree with all of this. Don't care about Hunter. Don't care about Don Jr. except that I miss the Don Jr./Eric Trump skits on SNL. Don't think 24/7 news is doing anyone any favors.

I agree with all of this. Don't care about Hunter. Don't care about Don Jr. except that I miss the Don Jr./Eric Trump skits on SNL. Don't think 24/7 news is doing anyone any favors.

I think we can just agree that Hunter's a shady character with some skeletons in the closet and DJT's kids are slimeballs who have never known adversity in their life.

But none of them are presidents or even politicians for that matter so they can go do whatever nefarious and moronic things they want.

Blind partisanship is the reason I'll never register as anything.

These are the top 2 Republican candidates for Senate in Ohio:

Check out hands in the one picture with all the black marines. He looks to have Photoshopped himself in it.

He also got in an argument with MLK’s daughter over this ad.

And then you have JD Vance, the millionaire venture capitalist and author who’s supported by billionaire Peter Thiel, using racism to win the votes of the tubes in Ohio:

Do you really want to give back control of congress to Putin’s party? Our support for Ukraine will fall apart if we give these nutcakes the keys to the car.

I wish 2022 me could visit 2002 me and show me some of this ****.

Just unreal

@Gameface you see this? Ever imagine when you were in the Navy that RW media would interview Osama’s niece to bash the American government for prosecuting leaders of an insurrection against the United States? Also, I should add, be cheering for Russia to succeed in its invasion of a peaceful American ally?

I wish 2022 me could visit 2002 me and show me some of this ****.

Just unreal

@Gameface you see this? Ever imagine when you were in the Navy that RW media would interview Osama’s niece to bash the American government for prosecuting leaders of an insurrection against the United States? Also, I should add, be cheering for Russia to succeed in its invasion of a peaceful American ally?

No I didn’t

This seems like a horrible idea. This will only result in seeing our beautiful public canyon and mountain lands being privatized for the well-being of a select few. If you're dumb enough to believe that this will help create affordable housing then you're probably dumb enough to believe that Trump will announce his health care plan in just two more weeks.

This is what you're voting for these midterms. Return these idiots to power and you're voting away our public lands.

This seems like a horrible idea. This will only result in seeing our beautiful public canyon and mountain lands being privatized for the well-being of a select few. If you're dumb enough to believe that this will help create affordable housing then you're probably dumb enough to believe that Trump will announce his health care plan in just two more weeks.

This is what you're voting for these midterms. Return these idiots to power and you're voting away our public lands.
I'm not tracking how a shortage of land is the issue. I can drive to St. George and once I'm past Payson, all I see is open land everywhere as far as the eye can see.

Affordable housing is definitely an issue, but the root causes lie in cost of goods, builder greed and markets that simply let these things run unchecked. It's the only reason why a house in SoCal can be 10x more than the same house in a place like Kalamazoo, Michigan.

A crash is going to come, it's just a matter of when. We learned nothing in 2008 yet we'll repeat another cycle again because we let it happen.

I'm not tracking how a shortage of land is the issue. I can drive to St. George and once I'm past Payson, all I see is open land everywhere as far as the eye can see.

Affordable housing is definitely an issue, but the root causes lie in cost of goods, builder greed and markets that simply let these things run unchecked. It's the only reason why a house in SoCal can be 10x more than the same house in a place like Kalamazoo, Michigan.

A crash is going to come, it's just a matter of when. We learned nothing in 2008 yet we'll repeat another cycle again because we let it happen.
Yeah it has to be land that is also reasonably close to things like jobs and groceries and entertainment/recreation. Land like that is relatively expensive compared to federal land in the middle of nowhere.

A perspective interpreting recent years, in America, and elsewhere. Autocracy vs. democracy?

“It is six years since the World Values Survey recorded a plummeting faith in democracy. Fewer than half of under-50s “believed it was essential to live in a country governed democratically”. In Germany, the US and Japan, between 20% and 40% would opt for a “strong leader who does not have to bother with parliaments and elections”. Conventional politics must confront these truths or die. Group identity must be somehow respected or worldwide immigration will become a torment. Federalism must be installed or separatism will destabilise states everywhere. Parliaments and parties must reform their processes or become irrelevant.”

Washington Co was specifically mentioned. Perhaps St. George isn't supposed to become a metropolis with millions of people? Where are they getting their water from anyway?

As @Gameface said, the land owned by BLM isn't anywhere near population centers. Grocery stores, schools, etc are all necessary. So unless we plan on connecting land south of Payson with cheap light and fast light rail to downtown SLC... And again, where is this water coming from? Utahns seems in complete denial about climate change. This is becoming the new normal:
Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 9.09.26 AM.png
Our snowpack is becoming worse while our population is skyrocketing. As the Great Salt Lake dries up, our lake effect snow will decrease. Meaning even less snowpack. Something needs to give and giving more of Mike Lee's greedy donors land to develop certainly isn't the answer.

I'm also curious about why you think we haven't learned anything from 2008? Is subprime mortgage lending making a comeback again? It's my understanding that this recent bubble is the result of:

1. Years of construction shortfall and population booms (in Utah specifically).
2. Wall Street's increase in real estate market share.

Again, this seems different than 2007-2008 when the bubble burst due to subprime mortgages defaulting and bundles wrapped up in these toxic loans torpedoing insurance companies and banks deemed "too big to fail." But I could be wrong. Finance isn't my expertise.

Last edited:
Washington Co was specifically mentioned. Perhaps St. George isn't supposed to become a metropolis with millions of people? Where are they getting their water from anyway?

As @Gameface said, the land owned by BLM isn't anywhere near population centers. Grocery stores, schools, etc are all necessary. So unless we plan on connecting land south of Payson with cheap light and fast light rail to downtown SLC... And again, where is this water coming from? Utahns seems in complete denial about climate change. This is becoming the new normal:
View attachment 11944
Our snowpack is becoming worse while our population is skyrocketing. As the Great Salt Lake dries up, our lake effect snow will decrease. Meaning even less snowpack. Something needs to give and giving more of Mike Lee's greedy donors land to develop certainly isn't the answer.

I'm also curious about why you think we haven't learned anything from 2008? Is subprime mortgage lending making a comeback again? It's my understanding that this recent bubble is the result of:

1. Years of construction shortfall and population booms (in Utah specifically).
2. Wall Street's increase in real estate market share.

Again, this seems different than 2007-2008 when the bubble burst due to subprime mortgages defaulting and bundles wrapped up in these toxic loans torpedoing insurance companies and banks deemed "too big to fail." But I could be wrong. Finance isn't my expertise.
You're not wrong in what caused the 2008 bubble to pop and all the adjustable rate mortgages coming to a head. What I'm saying is that is that the current market isn't geared towards effective economic outcomes.

To put another way, you can't get a starter home in Utah for $250k anymore - that won't even get you a condo here. Those same individuals who needed to scrimp and save to have a $1,500 mortgage are now paying $2,500 for the same property. Most people just simply can't pay those rates and might be able to turn the property over, but defaults are going to come to pass. And unfortunately, ARM's are starting to worm their way back as a tangible product to sell.

On the other point, agreed that there's no infrastructure. People aren't living in the middle of nowhere in San Juan county unless they want the peace and quiet.

On the other point, agreed that there's no infrastructure. People aren't living in the middle of nowhere in San Juan county unless they want the peace and quiet.
And if someone wants to live out in the middle of nowhere they can do that right now very affordably. No need to buy federal land to accomplish that.

And if someone wants to live out in the middle of nowhere they can do that right now very affordably. No need to buy federal land to accomplish that.
I was talking to a friend who's moving from Utah County and selling their $500,000 dollar house to move to Missouri. They just bought 5 acres for $70,000.

Perhaps the issue is affordable housing for where people want to live? I too want to live in San Diego but apparently there's only so much land there and millions of others want to live there too.