What's new

The case for Trey Burke

Chris

Full disclosure: I have been on both sides of the Trey Burke spectrum: keep him at least until the trade deadline and see what he can do this season (if only to increase his value) and trade him for a bag of balls. So I realize that I've waffled and I probably will continue to do so. But for now, I would like to make a case for keeping him at least until this season's trade deadline. By that point, we will have seen if what I'm about to describe will have worked.

There's no doubt that Trey has his notable deficiencies...so far. But I look at him and I see a kid who will be entering his third year in the league and will start the year as a 22-year old. Far from a finished product by any stretch. In his rookie year, he was thrust into a starting role on a team that was basically trying to tank with a terrible coach in Ty Corbin.

Right after that season, the team drafts his replacement...a kid with all-star upside, according to some. In his sophomore year, he has the right coach, but is constantly looking over his shoulder to see when his starting job is going to be taken from him. And then it happens. And he doesn't complain. The team signs another up-and-coming point guard who's a fan favorite at the end of the season. Then the team drafts another point guard and brings over another point guard that they stashed a few years back.

I think it's important to point out that the more recent moves regarding Neto, Hanlan, and Cotton don't really have much to do with why Burke can't finish at the rim, or why he shot so poorly, in an apples-to-apples comparison with his own rookie season. But perhaps the rise of Dante had something to do with that.

See, I think Trey is a cerebral player. I think many in the NBA are, but this is especially the case for Trey. It's the reason he's known for turning it on toward the end of games. I'm not saying I like players that can subconsciously choose to play well, because I usually don't. (The argument here being: why not choose to play that well all the time?) But perhaps the Jazz know that Trey operates this way and can excel, given the proper motivation. Perhaps that's precisely why they've brought along the most recent PGs behind him: to get the best out of him -- this offseason, and during this coming season. To really see what he can do when he's fighting for his life.

If Trey is working as hard as seems to be the case, and if he's focused on improving the numerous broken parts of his game...if he's motivated the way he needs to be, then I think he can be a valuable contributor off the bench in the second PG slot, and not as much of a liability as he's been thus far. For example, if he just became more of a distributor and could consistently hit from outside, that would be a vast improvement.

And there's no reason the Jazz can't do this; Hanlan could end up being cut or stashed and Neto could well end up playing in Idaho for the season to work on some of his fundamentals. Then you'd have Exum, Burke, Cotton, which would give Trey a legitimate 'put up or shut up' amount of time on the floor to prove his worth. This would give Trey some breathing room, but he would still hear the footsteps that he'll need to hear if he doesn't continue to outwork everyone else.

We'll see if this works. Some players, you need to light a fire under, and keep it perpetually lit. I believe Trey needs to have confidence and swagger to play well; he needs to feel like he's earning his minutes because he's out-performing others who want those same minutes. Let's see what happens now that the Jazz seem to have done exactly that. I hope it works for him, because I certainly don't envy the situation he's been in since coming into the league.

Burke is like a J.R. Smith - the swing is wide and he's going to play well some games and play like absolute garbage in others. (Of course, Smith is considered a good defender and Burke is not). Point is, can we accept Burke's inconsistency? With a bolstered 2nd string perhaps Burke will play more like a point guard and less like a chucker - we will see. Hoping Burke has been working hard and has been improving his weaknesses. He made some strides last off-season (he's much better at driving to the hoop) so it will be interesting to see what he can do this season.

Hoping Burke has been working hard and has been improving his weaknesses. He made some strides last off-season (he's much better at driving to the hoop) so it will be interesting to see what he can do this season.
Yet his shooting percentages dropped. He often made those drives against multiple defenders and never looked to pass off to an open teammate. To those who claim he has high BBIQ, I think this demonstrates the opposite. Deficiencies can often be hidden in college where a player isn't going after the best every game. Trey is now in a man's league. Almost every PG is bigger and faster than he is (or at least plays faster). Those "intangibles" that got him drafted are no match for the stark reality of the NBA.

Here is my counter to the "Burke needs confidence in order to play well" argument, wasn't he overlooked in AAU, and college recruiting? Seems like giving him the starting PG duties (and Corbin's bad decisions have again come around) could have hurt him. Coming off the bench and being "overlooked" might actually create some sort of a fire with him.

Also, what if Burke shows little to no improvement by the trade deadline. At that point what value does he have? The only guy that would want him is the writer from that fanside article.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm just hoping for 40%/33% this season. Is that too much to ask?

His rookie year was his best and he was 38/33 so I'm gonna revise this slightly and hope for 41/34. If he could improve to that and Exum improves like we think he will and so on 50 wins is a possibility.

Amazing that some would be happy if Trey could just improve to mediocrity.
Reminds me of the Lowered Expectations skits on MadTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9GavVxZbA&index=15&list=PLnK0eKOorwqfNZvwLHj_YYlK8BU-AcHYq

I think he's the opposite of a cerebral player, i really think his shot selection demonstrates a lack of understanding of the game and what will help his team win.

DL is like a great magician, he leaves nothing to chance. PG was our weakest position last year. We now have 4 young players fighting for three spots. Exum has the potential of being a great starter and possibly star, but he had to show improvement this off season to remain the top PG. The little we have seen of him, it looks like he is progressing as planned. By adding Neto DL has given the Jazz some flexibility for the other two spots.

The back up position is Trey's to lose. If Burke does not improve, or Cotton or Neto skills better fit the Jazz, Burke will get moved to third string. Personally I think it would be smarter and more professional to trade him.

Because Neto just signed a contract, there is awaiting time before Neto could be traded. If Neto does not show signs that he can quickly catch on, or Bryce out plays him, Raul could end up in the D League for long stints during the year.

Bryce Cotton is the odd man out. If he does not show vast (skills/meets need) over Burke or Neto by start of season, he will be the one leaving.

Locke talked about how the next big trading action period is around mid December. All teams think they have built the team they want by the first of the season. About 15-20 games into the season they are starting to see their weaknesses. Then they start making moves to fix the problem before the season is lost. I think if Cotton is around at the beginning of the season, the Jazz are not satisfied and we may see some changes early in December.

His rookie year was his best and he was 38/33 so I'm gonna revise this slightly and hope for 41/34. If he could improve to that and Exum improves like we think he will and so on 50 wins is a possibility.

Both are too much to ask.

I am anticipating a CJ Miles-ish trajectory. Meaning down. Would be surprised if he hits better than 34% overall this season. I would be happily surprised, but surprised nonetheless.

DL is like a great magician, he leaves nothing to chance. PG was our weakest position last year. We now have 4 young players fighting for three spots. Exum has the potential of being a great starter and possibly star, but he had to show improvement this off season to remain the top PG. The little we have seen of him, it looks like he is progressing as planned. By adding Neto DL has given the Jazz some flexibility for the other two spots.

The back up position is Trey's to lose. If Burke does not improve, or Cotton or Neto skills better fit the Jazz, Burke will get moved to third string. Personally I think it would be smarter and more professional to trade him.

Because Neto just signed a contract, there is awaiting time before Neto could be traded. If Neto does not show signs that he can quickly catch on, or Bryce out plays him, Raul could end up in the D League for long stints during the year.

Bryce Cotton is the odd man out. If he does not show vast (skills/meets need) over Burke or Neto by start of season, he will be the one leaving.

Locke talked about how the next big trading action period is around mid December. All teams think they have built the team they want by the first of the season. About 15-20 games into the season they are starting to see their weaknesses. Then they start making moves to fix the problem before the season is lost. I think if Cotton is around at the beginning of the season, the Jazz are not satisfied and we may see some changes early in December.

I literally agree with everything you said, except one thing. I don't think it's at all unlikely that Neto spends the majority of the year in Idaho, and if that's the case, Cotton won't need to be the odd man out.

Really, what Trey's situation involves is outplaying Bryce Cotton. And if Trey is the same old Trey from last year, Cotton will be seeing more of the floor than he does. And just before it gets to that point (no pun intended), you're right: the professional (and wise) thing to do would be to trade him. Doing so would give Cotton some well deserved minutes at the backup spot and make room on the active roster for Neto to return to Utah.

Amazing that some would be happy if Trey could just improve to mediocrity.
Reminds me of the Lowered Expectations skits on MadTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9GavVxZbA&index=15&list=PLnK0eKOorwqfNZvwLHj_YYlK8BU-AcHYq

"Lowered Expec-Tre-tions."

I literally agree with everything you said, except one thing. I don't think it's at all unlikely that Neto spends the majority of the year in Idaho, and if that's the case, Cotton won't need to be the odd man out.

Really, what Trey's situation involves is outplaying Bryce Cotton. And if Trey is the same old Trey from last year, Cotton will be seeing more of the floor than he does. And just before it gets to that point (no pun intended), you're right: the professional (and wise) thing to do would be to trade him. Doing so would give Cotton some well deserved minutes at the backup spot and make room on the active roster for Neto to return to Utah.
That is what I was meaning. I agree with your thinking