What's new

The Donovan Mitchell Hype Thread! (repository of highlights and effusive praise)

Mitchell definitely needs to learn to finish at the rim, and to absorb contact. He has a bit of Burks in his when he drives, although I think he has a better handle than Burks. But he tends to get a little lost and has a hard time getting the ball up over the defender. But he does look promising in summmer league. I really hope that translates to the regular season, because all too often we have seen summer league super-stars end up playing in China or something.

Most of the time those guys aren't rookies.

If I could buy stock in a player, I would buy a ton in Mitchell. And if you know me, you know I make lists. Here is why I buy stock:

1. He is humble - fans like that
2. He likes and is good at defense - this gives him longevity
3. He is athletic - that sells
4. He is versatile. Versatility provides mismatches and longevity
5. He is social media savvy. This increases his marketability. He reaches out to fans instead of waiting for them to come to him.
6. He will get playing time early
7. Gordon's loss is DM's gain. Mitchell can become the identity in the backcourt/wing.
8. Utah doesn't have a ball dominant player. He will play with an unselfish PG.
9. My favorite # is 9. Using soccer roster number mechanics, 45=9 which is a good sign for me.

I dont know if I've ever been more excited about a Jazz player ever.

Go Jazz

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I haven't been this excited about a player drafted by the Jazz since they drafted Deron Williams.

I liked the DWill pick a lot but I don't remember him playing like this in his first summer league. Mitchell reminds me of the second year when Deron was forced to play in summer league and came out and was so much faster and better that they pulled him out. Mitchell just looked more explosive than almost everyone he matched up against.

I was excited about Exum, but he was so young and undeveloped when he was drafted it wasn't clear what he could be. I think the coaching staff wants him to be a 6'6" version of Tony Parker, and he has some of that potential, but he's been a concept and a development project rather than a player whom you could see was ready to ascend to stardom.

Mitchell is the most athletic player with the ball that the Jazz have had in years (no disrespect to Alec Burks). The Jazz haven't had a player with that combination of speed, athleticism and offensive potential all over the floor that I can remember. Mitchell just has a higher gear and the ability to make athletic plays on both sides of the ball, really at an elite level.

The Jazz have the basis of an interesting offense with Exum and Mitchell in the backcourt. The reason is that they can both beat their defender and make a play to score at the rim or pass for an assist. Rubio may yet be able to do this too. It sounds as though the Jazz want to space the floor and let their guards make plays to break the defense, which is something they weren't able to do last year.

The potential of Exum and Rudy on the pick-and-roll really is tantalizing, but it depends on Exum developing that in-between game.

We still need Exum to pan out, so we can have two multi-dimensional guards creating offense starting from 28 - 30 feet out on the floor, with Rudy creating gravity down at the rim. We need both Exum and Mitchell to show they can hit the 3-ball from deep if defenses sag off.

Actually, with Hood and a bit of Joe Johnson we'd have 3 or 4 dynamic triple-threat players spreading the floor around Rudy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Boy0I2CBqA

Rotating Mitchell with Rubio and Exum is going to be a deflection-transition feast. Gobert, Sefalosha, and Udo will feed into that.

I think Mitchell will start by the end of the season. His attitude fits in with Rudy and Ingles perfectly.

One of the things I really like about X is that he has the rare ability to not only contest/disrupt jumpshots but to actually block them due to his length, timing, and defensive IQ.

We still need Exum to pan out, so we can have two multi-dimensional guards creating offense starting from 28 - 30 feet out on the floor, with Rudy creating gravity down at the rim. We need both Exum and Mitchell to show they can hit the 3-ball from deep if defenses sag off.

Actually, with Hood and a bit of Joe Johnson we'd have 3 or 4 dynamic triple-threat players spreading the floor around Rudy.
Agree.
I'd like to see Mitchell and Exum build off what they showed in the Utah SL. Have Rubio and Hood start at the 1/2? The dynamic duo comes off the bench and just runs the other team's subs off the court.

curious what you think is funny about that.
I think a lot of fans had doubts about a kid who had only faced quality competition a couple of times. He wasn't like a US one-and-done prospect who had the benefit of a full college season and NCAA tournament experience.

But unlike the DWill days, when Utah had other solid players, even a couple who made a few all-star games, there just wasn't another franchise player. AK SHOULD have been, but he just didn't care enough after getting the big contract. Boozer could have been, if not for the injures and Kanter-like avoidance of defense.

This edition already has Gobert, an almost certain all-star and likely DPOY. He's paid his dues and will FINALLY get the recognition he deserves.

This Jazz team is going to surprise a LOT of people. We're flying under the radar. That's good.

I am an AK fan.
And this is off topic but could it be that AK was just not used propertly by Sloan?
Anyway, just saying. This can be a topic of another if there's none yet already.

Back to topic, thanks for compiling the highlights.