What's new

The End

JAZZFAN_2814

Now, looking back on what has taken place over the last two weeks, it's not only a disturbing result but also a disgusting implication as to Greg Miller's ineptitude and hubris.

The scenario I see, is one where, yeah, Sloan and Deron are not getting along. And I think it was likely becoming a doomsday scenario.

Deron or Sloan. One had to go. I really think it came down to this, and that we were witness to discord and even disobedience from Deron.

Did Deron break Sloan's plays? Did Sloan try to bench him? Whatever went on, we know that KOC and GM (irony) became directly involved at halftime, at which point Sloan resigned.

What I think happened was Miller caved to the star player. He caved as gambit, one where Sloan was THE problem for Deron, and thus the franchise. By rejecting Sloan -- forcing him out by stripping him of power; trying to humiliate him -- Miller likely figured that this would convince Deron to stay.

He might have been idiotic enough to think that he could, then, get an immediate commitment from Deron by giving him what he wanted most. But psychologically, and as a spoiled brat in his own life, Miller should have known better: should have known that giving into his star player would only convince that same star of just how powerful he was, and drain any power Utah had in dealing with him.

If there was a man in Utah's organization that demanded -- commanded -- respect, it wasn't in upper management. It was on that bench, and in that office. It was the only Hall of Famer in the building that night.

Everything the Utah Jazz embodied -- all the words and cliches -- were defined and made true by Sloan.

And now it's all gone, along with him.

How did Deron end up in New Jersey, two short weeks later, after such a choice by Jazz brass?

By the very factor of that choice. Utah got even worse after the decision was made, and Deron appeared to be as petulant as ever.

Further, he went from being noncommital about Utah, to outright hostile in his statements: the LeBron James name drop could not have been any more clear. And it's certainly possible that Deron leaked the idea of moving on to the Knicks himself.

So let's say you're Miller. You're not particularly bright; in fact, you probably have thoughts that are actually padded out in Tweets. You also have little to no clue about running an NBA team, yet you have now run the Hall Of Fame Coach that defined the organization for parts of three decades out of the building.

And you did this for Williams, the player who won't commit and is dissing you in the press. You wanted Jerry there, but you didn't have the balls to stand up to this punk.

So, no, you aren't good at your 'job', as you've never really had one. And paying close attention or really thinking things through...well, that's never been an issue before, why start now?

The two things you do have, which have always been massive, are conflated and compounding: a massive ego and the money to make people pay when you feel slighted.

Looking at all these traits, what do you do with Williams after this show of disrespect, after he's made it clear again and again that he won't stay without a high-powered team that you have no interest or ability in providing?

You do the same thing you did with Boozer. Only, thanks to the meltdown that's already taken place from the Boozer mistake on, you do it immediately.

That is, you let you're personal animus guide your judgment, and let it be the new defining characteristic of an organization named the 'Utah Jazz'.

You trade Deron Williams, and pretend it's an act of great courage rather than one of pathetic short-sightedness. To make matters worse, you tear not only the roster apart, but first make possible the best coach in the league -- particularly in relation to making your sewer water into a respectable bottle of wine (say, something from Priorat) -- off the sidelines mere weeks before creating an ugly reality that he could excel with.

You tear the entire team apart over the course of 8 months, all due to your inability to think things through.

And the Jazz, as the loyal of fans of Utah have known them -- as loyal fans from around the country and world have respected or even loved them -- are no more. There's nothing left. Nothing but a logo.

But maybe, just maybe, you followed Karl Malone's advice: on talent this could be an old school roster. After all, the old school, circa 1980, Utah Jazz were so bad they couldn't give tickets away.

An amazing achievement, in that you pulled all this off in a matter of, well, take your pick: 2 years, 8 months, or even just two weeks.

So what is the future of this organization, now? How can it ever be trusted again, after this?

And that's the point, as open question and closed statement.

These aren't Stockton to Malone's Jazz. Williams to Boozer's. Jerry and Phil's.

Or your father's.

What a disgrace. To all those men. What an epic failure.

And as with so many events that are dramatic, unexpected and ugly, as quickly as it happened it's now over.

It's all over.

You are waaay to dramatic and need to put things in perspective. Holy ****.

What an empty statement.

If you put things in perspective, fool, you'd realize that this franchise is quite possibly done for. Not just because of where it's at, but also because of how it got to this point.

Though, it's obvious that you didn't even read the post.

Just as you paid no attention to what transpired over the last few months.

Sadly, quite similar to Greg Miller himself.

"This message is hidden because JAZZFAN_2814 is on your ignore list."

Sweet, blissful silence.

I actually call Greg as the big loser of this events, not because he screwed up all the process, it's kind of weird and unlucky for such big, momentous decisions to be made when he was in charge. I do not think he was the reason of any of those shocking moves. He will always be compared to his dad and will be bashed by some fans who thinks they are "experts" and do know anything they need from one-on-one meetings behind the scenes to on-court performance of the squad. I think he can live with that. Most of the same "fans" were the ones criticising LHM for his decisions. How is it possible for a fan to attribute all those things to Greg's being the executive? How can he prove that? As if Deron and Sloan had been just happy with each other and Dwill had been fully commited to system and the program. Complaints never end.

I just appreciate and applaud the fact that he and KOC believed in what they think about the Deron's future with the Jazz, about the theory that the NBA will soon become a 10 team league consisting of 20 other stupid franchises who will draft marquee names, big talents, help them improve their game and get "money" to feed their families, and watch them leave the "small" markets. I think the NBA will become a league of superstars and supermanagers, not owners and the NBA as an institution, despite things like salary cap, luxury tax, Bird rights, the NBA draft, which are put into action to sustain balance and competitiveness, avoid unfair competition. What the Jazz did will hopefully be noticed by "unhappy", "desperate" stars and their managers, and "people".

Please, PLEASE bullet post your rants. Obviously alot of thought goes into them, but i cant make through even half the post.

The only problem with your theory and long rant, Jazzfan, is that a Deron trade had been floated earlier in the season. That doesn't sound like an owner or GM who wants to blindly follow their superstar.

The problems with Deron may have played a part in Sloan leaving, but I don't think it was the entire reason. I think Sloan just grew tired of multiple players not running the offense, of the poor defensive effort most every night. The fun was gone. Great players inexplicably walk away: Barry Sanders in the NFL, Karl Malone when he was in sight of the all-time scoring record. And Sloan when he just had 2+ seasons to go before becoming the all-time winningest coach. Don't forget, he got the job when another pretty good coach just decided he had finally had enough.

The only problem with your theory and long rant, Jazzfan, is that a Deron trade had been floated earlier in the season. That doesn't sound like an owner or GM who wants to blindly follow their superstar.

I don't know if that proves much.

Nor do I know that it's true. It's a good line to pass around to the media, though.

And as with so many events that are dramatic, unexpected and ugly, as quickly as it happened it's now over.

It's all over.

Decided to read the last few lines of the drable and fell on the damn floor! This ish is great!