Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottom Dwellers, eg Nets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Siro

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
Assuming the Jazz acquire a solid young PG in the draft, or through trade, where do you think they'll be in 2 years?

It depends are we talking Marshall, Augustine or Williams as in DWill?

/A guy can hope can't he?

I really think championship contenders are possbile depending on how the rest of this year goes, the offseason trades (please) and draft. If the F.O. does things right then we will be serious players for several years.

Edit: But giving room for error I voted playoff team

I voted solid playoff team because I'm of the impression you need a bonafide star to be a serious contender in this league. And for more reasons than the obvious, i.e. the league needs that star as a storyline and as a result your path is somewhat cleared/easier. The NBA is equal parts WWF and a "real" sporting entity, IMO.

I said contenders. There really is too much that could happen to really say though. They need a PG. They need a SF. And they are going to need a PF/C if both Millsap and Jefferson are gone. I have a feeling the Jazz would like to keep Millsap. So they need to get something for Jefferson and they are going to need backups at SG/SF and PG to go with the starters at PG and SF.

I bet Favors will be borderline all-star in 2 years. But where will Burks, Kanter, and upcoming draft pick be? I think if things go according to plan, we should have a contender within 4 years. I doubt 2 years is enough time to develop OKC kind of talent and chemistry. I voted solid playoffs team.

We need to trade Al for something valuable on draft night. After that, I think the future is bright.

"Solid playoffs Team" is for sure.

"Championship Contenders" is possible.

We're too good for the other options.

2 of our 4 youths will be all-stars in 3 years. Maybe 3.
Bold prediction.

We need a PG with swag + an SF that can shoot and I think we can be contenders.

In 2 years? Working in the youngs and likely a key new young, they will be borderline playoff contenders by then. But hopefully they will be progressing and turning into the next two levels over the next few years after that.

2 of our 4 youths will be all-stars in 3 years. Maybe 3.
Bold prediction.

We need a PG with swag + an SF that can shoot and I think we can be contenders.

What about Hayward? I certainly do not want Burks to be a bench player in 2 years time if he turns out as good as I think he will be. Hayward coming off the bench then? He may not be happy with that.

In 2 years? Working in the youngs and likely a key new young, they will be borderline playoff contenders by then. But hopefully they will be progressing and turning into the next two levels over the next few years after that.

I'm surprised it took this many votes before someone brought this up. I personally think getting rid of the vets (minus Millsap, I like him) will not make a big difference to the team's progress. I'm sure other disagree.

I think one of the biggest factors will be using the cap space we have wisely. We will have to spend accordingly with re-signing the young guys but also add the right mix of quality vets, IMO. The next few years could be some of the funnest for long time Jazz fans.

2 years is forever in the NBA. Hell look at the roster on 3/19/2010 for example.

LaMcP.jpg

Attachments

• LaMcP.jpg
    LaMcP.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 2
What about Hayward? I certainly do not want Burks to be a bench player in 2 years time if he turns out as good as I think he will be. Hayward coming off the bench then? He may not be happy with that.

I'm not sure why you're singling out Hayward in this question.

While I think Hayward might be more of a SG than a SF, I think he can and should play a little of both. He'll get stronger.

I think we can start all 4 of the youths if we choose, but somebody is gonna have to pry the starting job from Millsap's hands. I don't see Kanter doing that next year. Burks needs to start. soon.

I'm singling out Hayward because he's the current young SF...

If the Jazz get a starting SF, then either Hayward or Burks will have to come off the bench.

I'm singling out Hayward because he's the current young SF...

If the Jazz get a starting SF, then either Hayward or Burks will have to come off the bench.

yeah, but no SF that we draft this year is going to come out starting, and nobody knows if that player will even pan out. Who knows if we'll be able to trade for an established starting SF. Right now, Hayward is the best known option as the future SF. That's all.

I would like to keep Millsap if we can. I would only trade him if it was for a good pg and I would only let him walk if someone throws a ton of money at him!

3 years, I think we can become close to contenders.

Look at Memphis last season. With one of the most formidable 4/5 combinations in the western conference, they made it to game 7 against a "superstar"-filled team in OKC. Personally, I think that Kanter + Favors could become as good as Gasol and ZBo. Not to mention the fact that well have Burks and Hayward on the perimeter, and hopefully a decent PG and a few specialty shooters to boot. In fact, what I find most intriguing, is that our potential greatest strength (our 4/5 combination, if Kanter and Favors acclimate to their potential) is essentially OKC's kryptonite. Their team can't handle good 4/5 combinations. Dallas **** all over them. Memphis took them to 7 games. Lakers downed them in 2010.

So to summarize: If Kanter is a 18/12 guy, and Favors is a 18/10/2 guy 2 years from now (both at >50% FG) and they both progress their defensive capabilities even more, that is a dangerous 4/5 combination. Kanter and Favors both seem to have the tools for a decent mid-range game. We could have Millsap which could stretch our offense even more ( a la a rich mans Darrel Arthur), and then have Burks drive into a wide-open paint at will.

2 years, I say 4-6th seed. 3 years, I predict a WCF run. Who knows, maybe more :)

3 years, I think we can become close to contenders.

Look at Memphis last season. With one of the most formidable 4/5 combinations in the western conference, they made it to game 7 against a "superstar"-filled team in OKC. Personally, I think that Kanter + Favors could become as good as Gasol and ZBo. Not to mention the fact that well have Burks and Hayward on the perimeter, and hopefully a decent PG and a few specialty shooters to boot. In fact, what I find most intriguing, is that our potential greatest strength (our 4/5 combination, if Kanter and Favors acclimate to their potential) is essentially OKC's kryptonite. Their team can't handle good 4/5 combinations. Dallas **** all over them. Memphis took them to 7 games. Lakers downed them in 2010.

So to summarize: If Kanter is a 18/12 guy, and Favors is a 18/10/2 guy 2 years from now (both at >50% FG) and they both progress their defensive capabilities even more, that is a dangerous 4/5 combination. Kanter and Favors both seem to have the tools for a decent mid-range game. We could have Millsap which could stretch our offense even more ( a la a rich mans Darrel Arthur), and then have Burks drive into a wide-open paint at will.

2 years, I say 4-6th seed. 3 years, I predict a WCF run. Who knows, maybe more :)

This. It will be a 3 year plan.

All the contenders have a system that is tailored to their team members. (PnR with Stock&Malone, Ultra slashers in parker/ginoboli with high PnR wDuncan, triangle offense for MJ then Kobe, Hakeem + 4 3pt shooters, etc.) We tried to replicate Stock and Malone with DWill and Boozer... So do the Jazz try to replicate this model or play to the strengths of The Four?